Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to connect Laptop to TV using WiFi

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 8, 2012 10:19:27 PM

Hi all,

Ok, so here's what I wanna do... I have a tv with HDMI and RCA inputs. All I want is to be able to connect my laptop display to the tv without any wires at full HD Resolution. Also, be able to use the 'extend desktop' functionality so that I can continue doing my stuff on my laptop and play whatever on the tv screen (the way I can when I connect my laptop to tv using HDMI).

Secondary requirements
To be able to connect my iPad and my Samsung Galaxy S2

Eagerly waiting for your replies. Please ask if u have any questions.

Cheers
- me!

More about : connect laptop wifi

a c 248 D Laptop
April 9, 2012 4:14:46 PM

Hi :) 

You CANNOT unless your TV has inbuilt wifi... and you cannot send HD graphics over wifi....thats PRECISELY why Tvs have HDMI ports...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
April 9, 2012 4:47:00 PM

Brett928S2 said:

You CANNOT unless your TV has inbuilt wifi... and you cannot send HD graphics over wifi....thats PRECISELY why Tvs have HDMI ports...

Hi,
isn't there an apple airplay equivalent for windows? i mean using airplay, you can connect ur devices to stream audio and video to any TV/ music player...

I mean I have a HDMI cable and it gives me very satisfactory results when I connect it to the TV, but I was hoping to get the same results without having to use a wire.. I am sure there must be something to make me happy :??: 
Score
Related resources
December 7, 2012 6:01:10 PM

Brett928S2 said:

I want to send video to my tv and it had built in wifi it is a vizio Razor. I can send youtube videos to my tv but I want to be able to send movies from my laptop to my vizio and still be able to do other things on my laptop while I watch a movie. :) 
Score
May 13, 2013 4:47:41 AM

thedevilisinme said:
Brett928S2 said:

Hi,
isn't there an apple airplay equivalent for windows? i mean using airplay, you can connect ur devices to stream audio and video to any TV/ music player...

I mean I have a HDMI cable and it gives me very satisfactory results when I connect it to the TV, but I was hoping to get the same results without having to use a wire.. I am sure there must be something to make me happy :??: 

There are plenty of us that would love to do this and its possible just not sure how much its going to cost. He should never give answer like he did. If he had his way we would never have gotten anything wireless. Answers in here IMHO should drive things forward and not "If we were meant to fly we would have been born with wings".
Score
June 9, 2013 9:29:42 PM

Brett928S2 said:

But how do you manage to do it if your TV has built in wifi?
Score
June 10, 2013 8:12:51 AM

kaleewilliams said:
Brett928S2 said:

But how do you manage to do it if your TV has built in wifi?

Well my tv has wifi and i use a server, meaning i installed a program that runs a wifi server, and in the program you have to choose a directory the laptop will scan for movies for and allow the tv to use.. in otherwords after you start the server, all you have to do is turn on the widi option in the tv and choose "Nero server" the one i am using..
nero home media 4.. the tv i have is lg 55 inch with widi technology
Score
August 14, 2013 6:30:09 AM

Any Solutions ?

thedevilisinme said:
Brett928S2 said:

Hi,

Score
August 22, 2013 12:52:45 AM

wantedwahab said:
Any Solutions ?

thedevilisinme said:
Brett928S2 said:

Hi,

HI,

Have you taken a look at WD TV Live a Western Digital unit that will network with your Wifi. I beleave (Not Proven) that this unit will display and act like ou monitor on your laptop/Desktop?
Score
August 25, 2013 6:06:12 AM

Intel WiDI!!!!! Just found out about it, yet to try it. In theory, u should be able to wirelessly stream audio and video, except from dvd-playback and BD-playbacks. I just wanna stream some netflix, so i am happy! Ipad - i have no idea, however Galaxy S2 ->! Allshare !, came built in to my Galaxy S1 so so S2 should have it no?

Edit: didnt work for me, my tv has no wifi... -_-, BluRay does have wifi, detected widi even, no luck though, cant play internet through my widi. Too bad, Better luck for you perhaps?
Score
September 11, 2013 1:13:00 PM

the products exist... sort of.

there was a product called from imation called "link". its discontinued on amazon, not sure if everywhere. It did require a USB plugged into your laptop, but it was able to wireless extend your desktop to your TV.

There are several other products such as push2tv, veebeam, aries; but I dont think any allow you to EXTEND your desktop, only mirror it... I know I often surf on my own laptop, Id love to be able to open a full size video on the other, but not nullify my laptop in the process.

All these other posts are fine for downloaded media, but if you want non premium hulu or some other *non official* stream on your TV, all the smart TVs and rokus in the world wont do you a lick of good.
Score
!