Alienware Wireless options, which is best?

6_5x47lapua

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2011
hello, can anyone give me a quick overview in the differences in these cards?

Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2
Intel® Advanced-N WiFi Link 6250 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO Technology with WiMax
Killer™ Wireless-N 1103 a/g/n 2x2 MIMO for Gaming & Video

Is there any reason to spend the extra $$ ($50 for the second, $80 for third) on them? i'm pretty sure i don't use WiMax, but i know nothing about it and it would be nice to have it supported if i'm at a random coffee shop or something that has it. is it worth having? other then WiMax support, is there actual performance differences?

thanks a bunch!

Solution

Go with the 6250. It is dual band and will future proof yourself a little bit. The 1000 is single band, and the...

RealBeast

Titan
I've not seen any free WiMax, it is used for pay services like Clear. If you don't know what it is, unlikely that you will use it, although Clear is a good option for Internet access where it is available and has a strong signal at the user location, particularly if you don't have cable or dsl Internet.

The first option will perform fine, the third is not worth the cost and is unlikely to provide a better experience if you have a reasonably good signal strength at the location of your computer.

skaz

Distinguished

Go with the 6250. It is dual band and will future proof yourself a little bit. The 1000 is single band, and the killer doesn't justify the price increase.

Don't worry about the Wimax as mentioned earlier, unless you pay for the service you'll never need it.

Solution