DTV still doesnt know if HDtivo will work with the new bird

Tags:
Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
July 6, 2005 4:46:40 PM

I called customer retention last night to get my free HBO and Showtime
extended
until they figured out if the HDtivo would work with the new bird. They say
they
plan on going live with it on Aug 1st, but have no idea if the MP4 streams
will
require new hardware or if it's something that can be fixed in software with
a new
codec. The launch is looming pretty close, very surprised they still don't
have
answers to this question.
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 7:21:57 PM

In article <QoQye.6186$kM5.5417@trndny05>, "RobR" <nospam@nospam.com>
wrote:

> I called customer retention last night to get my free HBO and Showtime
> extended
> until they figured out if the HDtivo would work with the new bird. They say
> they
> plan on going live with it on Aug 1st, but have no idea if the MP4 streams
> will
> require new hardware or if it's something that can be fixed in software with
> a new
> codec. The launch is looming pretty close, very surprised they still don't
> have
> answers to this question.

I suspect they know it all - perfectly. They just haven't told the CSRs.
Which likely means bad news. Good news, you don't keep secret.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 11:22:49 AM

wrote:

> I called customer retention last night to get my free HBO and Showtime
> extended
> until they figured out if the HDtivo would work with the new bird. They say
> they
> plan on going live with it on Aug 1st, but have no idea if the MP4 streams
> will
> require new hardware or if it's something that can be fixed in software with
> a new
> codec. The launch is looming pretty close, very surprised they still don't
> have
> answers to this question.

Thats a crock. You dont spend a billion dollars on a launch and not know
exactly what will work.

MPEG4 requires hardware upgrade given the (relatively) slow processors
and small amount of memory in existing receivers.
!