MN-700 static IP/router/portfowarding issues

I've used this router for many months. Now I have tried
to move my server behind it (before it was on a hub) and
it works for a few hours then gives up the ghost. I
can't communicate with the base station from any
computer, wired or otherwise, and cannot connect to the
internet nor can surfers reach my server.
8 answers Last reply
More about static router portfowarding issues

    Do you have DHCP on the server and the router? If so, you'll have to
    disable one or the other, you can't have two DHCP servers on the same
    network.

    --
    Eric Chew, MVP
    Microsoft Hardware Products

    Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the Microsoft
    Online Support Knowledge Base at
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
    The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
    obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)

    "Falldowngoboom" <admin@jabber-monkey.com> wrote in message
    > I've used this router for many months. Now I have tried
    > to move my server behind it (before it was on a hub) and
    > it works for a few hours then gives up the ghost. I
    > can't communicate with the base station from any
    > computer, wired or otherwise, and cannot connect to the
    > internet nor can surfers reach my server.

    No the server is a webserver, not DHCP. The server
    orginally had a static IP. I changed the router to use
    the static IP and moved the webserver behind the router,
    and forwarded the ports to the server IP assigned by the
    router.

    Are you trying to access the server via the web or through network
    connections?

    Mine setup as follows...

    MN-700 Router - Static IP, DHCP server disabled (and ports point to the
    server's static IP address)
    SBS Server 2003 (which is has IIS and a few other services) static IP, and
    DHCP server enabled.

    Is yours similar?

    If your trying to access the web server via www.yourdomain.com, it won't
    work with the MN-700 currently. MS is aware of that issue if indeed it
    thats the issue.

    --

    > No the server is a webserver, not DHCP. The server
    > orginally had a static IP. I changed the router to use
    > the static IP and moved the webserver behind the router,
    > and forwarded the ports to the server IP assigned by the
    > router.

    Yes that is it. I am using Apache but it should be no
    different. Yes I know that there is no loopback. But
    neither the wireless nor the wired connections will
    connect to outside sources after 1-2 hours. I cannot
    access the router config page either.

    Have you set the client lease time on the 700 to two weeks? While the server
    is set to a static, if the other computers are getting DHCP I'm guessing
    that when the leases on those hae expired, the 700 just stops passing
    traffic completely.

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    Yes the lease time is set to two weeks.

    can you describe the other client computers connected to your network
    - wired? wireless? are they on/off - standby/hibernate? and are you
    using WEP or WPA for wireless security?

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:07:12 -0700,

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist

    There is one other computer connected, a wireless laptop. It is usually in standby or hibernate. We do not have WEP enabled because we can't seem to get it to work with the laptop (XP). That is all.

    This weekend I am going to try to disable the DHCP on the router and try enabling it on the server instead of the other way around.

Routers Static IP Servers Networking