MN-700 static IP/router/portfowarding issues

Last response: in Networking
April 18, 2004 2:38:00 PM

I've used this router for many months. Now I have tried
to move my server behind it (before it was on a hub) and
it works for a few hours then gives up the ghost. I
can't communicate with the base station from any
computer, wired or otherwise, and cannot connect to the
internet nor can surfers reach my server.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 6:12:27 PM

Do you have DHCP on the server and the router? If so, you'll have to
disable one or the other, you can't have two DHCP servers on the same
network.

--
Eric Chew, MVP
Microsoft Hardware Products

Need help with your Microsoft Hardware product? Check out the Microsoft
Online Support Knowledge Base at
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.asp.
The Microsoft MVP Program does not constitute employment or contractual
obligation with Microsoft Corporation. We do this for fun! :)

"Falldowngoboom" <admin@jabber-monkey.com> wrote in message
> I've used this router for many months. Now I have tried
> to move my server behind it (before it was on a hub) and
> it works for a few hours then gives up the ghost. I
> can't communicate with the base station from any
> computer, wired or otherwise, and cannot connect to the
> internet nor can surfers reach my server.
Anonymous
April 18, 2004 6:12:28 PM

No the server is a webserver, not DHCP. The server
orginally had a static IP. I changed the router to use
the static IP and moved the webserver behind the router,
and forwarded the ports to the server IP assigned by the
router.

April 18, 2004 11:58:39 PM

Are you trying to access the server via the web or through network
connections?

Mine setup as follows...

MN-700 Router - Static IP, DHCP server disabled (and ports point to the
server's static IP address)
SBS Server 2003 (which is has IIS and a few other services) static IP, and
DHCP server enabled.

Is yours similar?

If your trying to access the web server via www.yourdomain.com, it won't
work with the MN-700 currently. MS is aware of that issue if indeed it
thats the issue.

--

> No the server is a webserver, not DHCP. The server
> orginally had a static IP. I changed the router to use
> the static IP and moved the webserver behind the router,
> and forwarded the ports to the server IP assigned by the
> router.

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 12:22:23 AM

Yes that is it. I am using Apache but it should be no
different. Yes I know that there is no loopback. But
neither the wireless nor the wired connections will
connect to outside sources after 1-2 hours. I cannot
access the router config page either.

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 12:06:02 PM

Have you set the client lease time on the 700 to two weeks? While the server
is set to a static, if the other computers are getting DHCP I'm guessing
that when the leases on those hae expired, the 700 just stops passing
traffic completely.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Yes the lease time is set to two weeks.

Anonymous
April 19, 2004 7:45:08 PM

can you describe the other client computers connected to your network
- wired? wireless? are they on/off - standby/hibernate? and are you
using WEP or WPA for wireless security?

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 06:07:12 -0700,

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

There is one other computer connected, a wireless laptop. It is usually in standby or hibernate. We do not have WEP enabled because we can't seem to get it to work with the laptop (XP). That is all.

This weekend I am going to try to disable the DHCP on the router and try enabling it on the server instead of the other way around.
!