Separating Windows Sounds from Audio Playback

Last response: in Home Audio
January 6, 2005 9:40:28 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.multimedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

Hi,

I want to separate Windows sounds from Audio Playback.

I would like to use my USB Creative Audigy 2 NX for WMP, but have Windows
sounds directed to the 3.5mm output on the mainboard.

Is there a way to specify a device to use for Windows and a different device
to use for the Player?

Any help appreciated.

Colin
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:40:29 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.multimedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

"News Group" wrote ...
> I want to separate Windows sounds from Audio Playback.
>
> I would like to use my USB Creative Audigy 2 NX for WMP,
> but have Windows sounds directed to the 3.5mm output on the
> mainboard.
>
> Is there a way to specify a device to use for Windows and a
> different device to use for the Player?

I've seen certain audio cards that came with drivers that would
allow you to route the Windows sounds to a different output than
the main high-quality path. But likely not 1 in 1000 support such
a function.

Why not just turn off the Windows sounds? They are just silly
fluff anyway, IMHO. But when I started using computers, we
were still using punch-cards, so consider the source! :-)
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 10:02:31 PM

| "News Group" wrote ...
| > I want to separate Windows sounds from Audio Playback.
| >
| > I would like to use my USB Creative Audigy 2 NX for WMP,
| > but have Windows sounds directed to the 3.5mm output on the
| > mainboard.
| >
| > Is there a way to specify a device to use for Windows and a
| > different device to use for the Player?
|
| I've seen certain audio cards that came with drivers that would
| allow you to route the Windows sounds to a different output than
| the main high-quality path. But likely not 1 in 1000 support such
| a function.
|
| Why not just turn off the Windows sounds? They are just silly
| fluff anyway, IMHO. But when I started using computers, we
| were still using punch-cards, so consider the source! :-)

(used to sit with Dad watching TV punching cards to make copies of his
software!)
January 6, 2005 11:14:33 PM

News Group wrote:

> I would like to use my USB Creative Audigy 2 NX for WMP,
> but have Windows sounds directed to the 3.5mm output on
> the mainboard.
>
> Is there a way to specify a device to use for Windows and
> a different device to use for the Player?

Not that I know of. Both Windows and WMP seems to use the
default audio device without any way of selecting a specific
device. Other players (WinAmp, MediaPlayerClassic,
QuickTimePlayer...) will let you select any audio device in
the system.

--

// Alessandro Angeli
// MVP :: Digital Media

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.multimedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

I took my dog out for a walk.
While it was pissing on News Group's leg, he seemed distracted by:
> Hi,
>
> I want to separate Windows sounds from Audio Playback.
>
> I would like to use my USB Creative Audigy 2 NX for WMP, but have Windows
> sounds directed to the 3.5mm output on the mainboard.
>
> Is there a way to specify a device to use for Windows and a different
> device to use for the Player?
>
> Any help appreciated.

Winamp 5:

Preferences (Ctrl-P) - Plug-Ins - Output - DirectSound - Configure.

There's a drop-down where you can select the audio card for output.
If the default under Windows Sounds - Audio is your pc speaker, the pc will
bleep, but the music will go through to the stereo. Works for my Audigy,
anyway.

--
Despite appearances, it is still legal to put sugar on cornflakes.
Anonymous

News Group wrote:

> Is there a way to specify a device to use for Windows and a different
> device to use for the Player?

Not with Media Player. Download and install WinAmp, this allows you to
set a playback device. Configure your onboard sound as default in
Control Panel, then configure your Audigy as WinAmp's output device.

I've done this myself, using an SB Live for Windows' audio, and an MP3
Blaster USB device for WinAmp. The MP3 Blaster is quite useful as it
doesn't resample anything when set to digital output only. I've got it
running into a Sony MDS-JB980 as a DAC, and it sounds pretty good.
(Actually until earlier today I had it running into an Arcam Black Box
50, slight overkill - but that's now been moved back into the main hi-fi.)

--
Glenn Richards Tel: (01453) 845735
Squirrel Solutions http://www.squirrelsolutions.co.uk/

IT consultancy, hardware and software support, broadband installation
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:04:18 AM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.multimedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Colin
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 3:10:15 PM

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.multimedia,microsoft.public.windowsmedia,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 18:40:28 -0000, "News Group"
<news.paradoxa@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>I want to separate Windows sounds from Audio Playback.
>
>I would like to use my USB Creative Audigy 2 NX for WMP, but have Windows
>sounds directed to the 3.5mm output on the mainboard.
>
>Is there a way to specify a device to use for Windows and a different device
>to use for the Player?
>
>Any help appreciated.

Just turn off Windows sounds.
!