Clean install Windows 7-64 bit -- USB ports not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihameed46

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
Hi Community,

I have recently down loaded Windows 7 - 32 bit onto a new discrete (i.e. Physically separate) HDD. In the installation process it had severe problems with USB and PCIe drivers. That is they don't work and there were ! marks in Device Manager. I was lucky in having access to an old PS2 kybd which allowed me some access to the new os. Luckily, since I was booting off of a Windows XP Home Edition on a separate HDD I managed to use its drivers which worked on the Windows 7 and allowed me to get my USB kyybd and mouse working again. It also automatically down loaded the other drivers for my devices like the USB dongle for wireless internet access.

This is a long preamble to my actual problem and the reason for this message. I have not had as much success when I tried the same exercise; this time with Windows 7 - 64 bit installation. The 64 bit was installed on a separate partition on the same physical drive as the 32 bit version. The 32 bit drivers from Win 7 - 32 bit and XP don't work. I thought the 32 bit drivers for such basic things as USB pointing devices would work in the 64 bit version; but clearly not. Also, clearly my installation disk is negligent in not loading the drivers in either installation.

WHat can I do? Where can I go to get these basic drivers. I have tried Logitech with no luck as my kybd/mouse combo doesn't even show up on their site. I have tried going to Microsoft site to get generic 64 bit drivers but they are not being very kind in that regard. There is nothing to download. Clearly they don't want to give anything away free!!! My Logitech USB kybd/mouse combo is model Y-RK56A for the kybd and M-RR95 for the mouse.

My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H and I have its CD but w/o mouse I can't get it to install on the Win 7-64 partition. I thought when it installed on my XP partition it would have installed both sets of drivers. Can I extract just the 64 bit USB drivers from there?

ANy help would be greatly appreciated. I am trully stuck. Thanks in advance.

ihameed46

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010

It (my installation CD) seems to be legit because my 32 bit is working ok. Just the 64 bit giving problems. I tried your link and I have the same on CD. That doesn't work because in the 64 bit version I can't get the link to execute via kybd commands and action. Is there no way of getting a bogg standard 64 bit driver for pointing devices; may be from Windows XP - 64 bit?

ihameed46

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
I have recently down loaded Windows 7 - 32 bit

where did you download it from?

what is your motherboard? have you gone to your motherboard manufactures website for the correct drivers?

sounds like a bad copy of windows.[/quotemsg]

I have gone to my mobo website and tried to download to the 32 bit installation and then copied from there to my 64 bit installation but that doesn't work. I can't get internet connection directly in the 64 bit installation as the drivers for my USB dongle can't load. I have to somehow get a working driver on a file onto my partition wher the 64 bit installation is; that is where I am struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.