playing copied cds

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
January 7, 2005 1:35:29 AM

Greetings and a Happy New Year.

I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied. I have Roxio
Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that comes up and it plays
well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd players. If they will play a
all it takes a lot longer for the cd to be recognized.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help....

More about : playing copied cds

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 1:35:30 AM

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:35:29 -0500, zeek <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> wrote:
>Greetings and a Happy New Year.

>I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied. I have Roxio
>Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that comes up and it plays
>well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd players. If they will play a
>all it takes a lot longer for the cd to be recognized.

>What am I missing?

A CD player that can play CDRs well.

Have you tried other players.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 10:46:31 AM

"zeek" wrote ...
> I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied.
> I have Roxio Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window
> that comes up and it plays well in the PC and not so well in the
> audio cd players. If they will play a all it takes a lot longer
> for the cd to be recognized.
>
> What am I missing?

Many CD players (particularly older ones) are very sensitive
to the kinds of disks they will (or won't) play. Try some different
brands/types (colors) of CDR discs until you find a brand that
your player likes.
January 7, 2005 10:59:19 AM

"zeek" <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> wrote in message
> Greetings and a Happy New Year.
>
> I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied. I have Roxio
> Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that comes up and it
> plays well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd players. If
> they will play a all it takes a lot longer for the cd to be
> recognized.
> What am I missing?

Many things, already listed.

Besides the player and the burning speed, you might want to try other brands
of media.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 11:55:36 AM

"zeek" <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> wrote in message
> Greetings and a Happy New Year.
>
> I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied. I have Roxio
> Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that comes up and it plays
> well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd players. If they will play
> all it takes a lot longer for the cd to be recognized.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks for your help....

Did you close the session ? Or is that done automatically by Roxio when
making audio CDs ?
(I have one donated MP3 album on CD. It plays fine on my Sony Picot DVD
player, but whilst being recognised by my MP3 savvy Sony jukebox player, it
does not play.)
--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

To answer some of the questions.

1 I have tried other players and it is hit and miss. Like I said if they
do play anywhere beside a PC (never problem on any PC) it takes a long time
before the cd will be recognized.

2 I have not set the copy/burn speed as it seems to be pretty much
automated,

3 Roxio closes the session automatically.

I am off work today and plan to experiment some. If I find something earth
shattering I will let ya'll know.

Thanks for your help so far and I will check/re-check all steps so that I
can explain.

lomax

"Malcolm Stewart" <malcolm_stewart@megalith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
message news:crliq9$uet$1@news6.svr.pol.co.uk...
> "zeek" <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> wrote in message
>> Greetings and a Happy New Year.
>>
>> I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied. I have Roxio
>> Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that comes up and it plays
>> well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd players. If they will
>> play
>> all it takes a lot longer for the cd to be recognized.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks for your help....
>
> Did you close the session ? Or is that done automatically by Roxio when
> making audio CDs ?
> (I have one donated MP3 album on CD. It plays fine on my Sony Picot DVD
> player, but whilst being recognised by my MP3 savvy Sony jukebox player,
> it
> does not play.)
> --
> M Stewart
> Milton Keynes, UK
> http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm

Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:21:16 PM

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:02:15 -0500, zeek <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> wrote:
>To answer some of the questions.

>1 I have tried other players and it is hit and miss. Like I said if they
>do play anywhere beside a PC (never problem on any PC) it takes a long time
>before the cd will be recognized.

This really isn't that complicated. You've got a chain of three devices:
burner (and burner software), CDR disk, player.

You've ruled out the player. Try a different brand of CDs especially if
you're using 15 cent bulk disks. Otherwise, get a new burner.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:44:46 PM

"zeek" <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> a écrit dans le message de news: 4snDd.7044$Tf5.6541@lakeread03...
> Greetings and a Happy New Year.
>
> I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied. I have Roxio
> Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that comes up and it plays
> well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd players. If they will play a
> all it takes a lot longer for the cd to be recognized.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks for your help....

===================================
Burn slowly !
And not at Top speed

--
Allen Reny
http://www.a-reny.com

"Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> writes:

> "zeek" wrote ...
> > I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied.
> > I have Roxio Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that
> > comes up and it plays well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd
> > players. If they will play a all it takes a lot longer for the cd
> > to be recognized.
>
> > What am I missing?
>

> Many CD players (particularly older ones) are very sensitive to the
> kinds of disks they will (or won't) play. Try some different
>
> brands/types (colors) of CDR discs until you find a brand that your
> player likes.

Hi Richard,

While I believe your advice is sound given the circumstances, I'd like
to interject that I think this scenario exposes a either a flaw in the
Redbook specification or a violation of the specification by such CDs
(I'm not sure which).

If it doesn't exist, there should be a specification of the ratio of
reflected-to-refracted power in the Redbook. If it exists, and the
disc does not meet the specification, then guess what: the disc is
out of spec, and the manufacturer needs to stop claiming compatibility.

This is assuming that the discrepancy in performance is from the reflective
quality of the disc surface and the depth accuracy of the pits, however there
could be other specification violations as well (e.g., pit width).
--
Randy Yates
Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications

>"zeek" <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> a écrit dans le message de news:
4snDd.7044$Tf5.6541@lakeread03...
>> Greetings and a Happy New Year.
>>
>> I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied. I have Roxio
>> Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that comes up and it plays
>> well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd players. If they will
>play a
>> all it takes a lot longer for the cd to be recognized.
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Thanks for your help....
>>
>===================================
>Burn slowly !
>And not at Top speed
>
>--
>Allen Reny
>http://www.a-reny.com

Get some 74 minute CDR's, They are much more compatible with other players than
700mb 80n minute discs.
Richard H. Kuschel
January 7, 2005 8:36:10 PM

"Randy Yates" wrote ...
> "Richard Crowley" writes:

>> Many CD players (particularly older ones) are very sensitive
>> to the kinds of disks they will (or won't) play. Try some different
>> brands/types (colors) of CDR discs until you find a brand that your
>> player likes.
>

> While I believe your advice is sound given the circumstances, I'd like
> to interject that I think this scenario exposes a either a flaw in the
> Redbook specification or a violation of the specification by such CDs
> (I'm not sure which).

Neither. IIRC, RedBook defines only commercially pressed
discs, not CDR or CDRW. The discs we burn are really only
"Red Book-like" and CD players were not orginally designed to
read anything but commercially-pressed discs. We're operating
inbetween the color-books here.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 9:21:40 PM

>Hi Richard,
>
>While I believe your advice is sound given the circumstances, I'd like
>to interject that I think this scenario exposes a either a flaw in the
>Redbook specification or a violation of the specification by such CDs
>(I'm not sure which).
>
>If it doesn't exist, there should be a specification of the ratio of
>reflected-to-refracted power in the Redbook. If it exists, and the
>disc does not meet the specification, then guess what: the disc is
>out of spec, and the manufacturer needs to stop claiming compatibility.

My recollection is that Red Book defines the standard for manufactured
CDs. This standard was created before CD-R existed. I don't have a
copy of it, but the ECMA 130 CD-ROM standard suggests that the minimum
reflectivity of an unrecorded portion of the disc should be 70%.

Orange Book defines CD-R. According to one note I've seen, Orange
Book specifies a minimum reflectivity of 65%.

Unfortunately, some Red Book audio CD players (in particular) seem to
have difficulty reading CD-Rs whose reflectivity is down near the
lower limits of the Orange Book spec.

My understanding is that a lot of today's CD-R blanks are optimized
for burning at high speeds. This requires the use of a very
laser-sensitive dye layer, and I believe that the reflectivity of this
sort of dye can be somewhat lower (on average) than is true for older
dyes optimized for low-speed burning. Such discs may be (barely)
within the Orange Book specs, and still below the lower limits of Red
Book (I think).

>This is assuming that the discrepancy in performance is from the reflective
>quality of the disc surface and the depth accuracy of the pits, however there
>could be other specification violations as well (e.g., pit width).

That's also very possible. The "80-minute" CD-R blanks have their
track pitch, and the track wobble which (indirectly) sets the pit and
land lengths and spacings, right down at the lower limit of the Red
Book tolerance range. It's not at all unusual, in my experience, to
find that Red Book CD players often have trouble recognizing,
tracking, and playing such discs.

My three recommendations for reliable burns: media, media, media. Buy
a high-quality brand of media (the true 74-minute 650-megabyte type,
if you can find it), of a variety optimized for lower-speed burning,
and then burn it at about half to two-thirds of its rated maximum.

It's still possible to locate media which is optimized for 1x and 2x
burning... a few manufacturers make this for pro-mastering purposes
and real-time recording. If you can find blanks like this, it'd
probably be worth checking out a few.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO
January 8, 2005 12:25:29 AM

TCS <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:02:15 -0500, zeek <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> wrote:
>>To answer some of the questions.
>
>>1 I have tried other players and it is hit and miss. Like I said if they
>>do play anywhere beside a PC (never problem on any PC) it takes a long time
>>before the cd will be recognized.
>
> This really isn't that complicated. You've got a chain of three devices:
> burner (and burner software), CDR disk, player.
>
> You've ruled out the player. Try a different brand of CDs especially if
> you're using 15 cent bulk disks. Otherwise, get a new burner.

You're forgetting the fourth variable: Process! It could be a combination
of marginal media and a marginal burner, trying to max out the speed. It
could be a buffer issue (very unlikely these days), or it could be that
he's burning incorrectly and it just so happens that some players recognise
these disks (this sounds unlikely as well, given what he's posted so far).

To the OP: Make sure that once you have your tracks laid out, that you're
burning Disk At Once. TAO can cause problems with some but not all players.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:25:30 AM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:25:29 GMT, Colin B. <cbigam@somewhereelse.nucleus.com> wrote:
>TCS <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:02:15 -0500, zeek <zxcdsa@no_spamcox.net> wrote:
>>>To answer some of the questions.
>>
>>>1 I have tried other players and it is hit and miss. Like I said if they
>>>do play anywhere beside a PC (never problem on any PC) it takes a long time
>>>before the cd will be recognized.
>>
>> This really isn't that complicated. You've got a chain of three devices:
>> burner (and burner software), CDR disk, player.
>>
>> You've ruled out the player. Try a different brand of CDs especially if
>> you're using 15 cent bulk disks. Otherwise, get a new burner.

>You're forgetting the fourth variable: Process! It could be a combination
I lumped the burner software with the burner. Is it worth screwing
around with a junk burner running junk software for 3 hours to avoid
replacing it for $45?

>of marginal media and a marginal burner, trying to max out the speed. It
>could be a buffer issue (very unlikely these days), or it could be that
>he's burning incorrectly and it just so happens that some players recognise
>these disks (this sounds unlikely as well, given what he's posted so far).
he could me making a data disk instead of an audio disk.

>To the OP: Make sure that once you have your tracks laid out, that you're
>burning Disk At Once. TAO can cause problems with some but not all players.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 11:05:13 AM

I struggled with the same issue with my car CD head (Alpine) not liking some
CDR's although it is designated to play CDR's.

After much trial and failure I have resolved the issue with the following:

1. I use Sonic Foundry CD Archtect as the burning software
2. I use branded CDR's that are specifically for AUDIO
3. I burn at the slowest speed possible (2x or 4x)
4. regularly clean the heads on my CD player

Adhering to the above gives a good quality reproduction with very few
failures.

AlunP
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 12:28:38 PM

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 22:35:29 -0500, zeek wrote:

> Greetings and a Happy New Year.
>
> I am having trouble playing audio CDs that I have copied. I have Roxio
> Version 5.3.4.21. I use the CD Copier window that comes up and it plays
> well in the PC and not so well in the audio cd players. If they will
> play a all it takes a lot longer for the cd to be recognized.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks for your help....

In addition to the other suggestions, you might also want to have the
calibration of your player checked. The lasers in players do age and go
out-of-tolerance with time. I got a service manual and put my Denon player
on my test bench about a year ago and went through the calibration
process (you probably need at least a scope and signal generator). It was
significantly off and the calibration took the player from having sporadic
skips and errors to playing CDs perfectly.

Also keep in mind that CDR disks are physically different than
manufactured CDs. They are only about 70% as reflective as a commercial CD
and thus less tolerant of any defect or alignment problem on the player.

January 9, 2005 1:50:59 PM

wrote:

>2 I have not set the copy/burn speed as it seems to be pretty much
>automated,

Well, find the setting and take control! You DON'T want the fastest
possible speed. Strangely, and contrary to some advice you may get,
you don't want a very slow speed either, with modern media. Pick the
mid range of speeds offered.
!