Thinking about buying

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
July 11, 2005 6:05:52 AM

I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
I R idiot, so please be kind.

#1. The Tivo site says that 40 hours of capacity is not enough for
recording in "best" quality. Exactly how much "best" recording time
can you actually get out of a 40 hour Tivo?

#2. Obviously, Tivo has a hard drive. How big is the hard drive in a
40 hour Tivo?

#3. I understand that you can put a second hard drive in a Tivo. Are
there any size limits? What would I achieve with a 100 gig hard
drive? Does hard drive spin speed and buffer really matter vis a vis
Tivo?

#4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
around in the next 5 years?

#5. How does Tivo plug into the TV? My TV connections are limited to
RGB.

#6. Since I am probably going to hack Tivo, should I get a minimum 40
hour referb model instead of a "better" one.

#7. Is the lifetime Tivo subscription transferable to a new Tivo,
should the old Tivo die or become obsolete?

Ok, stop laughing. I said that I was an idiot. Thanks.

More about : thinking buying

July 11, 2005 6:36:18 AM

"Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
> clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
> some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
> I R idiot, so please be kind.
>
> #1. The Tivo site says that 40 hours of capacity is not enough for
> recording in "best" quality. Exactly how much "best" recording time
> can you actually get out of a 40 hour Tivo?

I think it was around 13 hours or so. But there are 4 levels and you may
find that the lower levels are fine for certain things. Some people never
use Best.

> #2. Obviously, Tivo has a hard drive. How big is the hard drive in a
> 40 hour Tivo?

40gig

> #3. I understand that you can put a second hard drive in a Tivo. Are
> there any size limits? What would I achieve with a 100 gig hard
> drive? Does hard drive spin speed and buffer really matter vis a vis
> Tivo?

With the latest software supporting LBA48, no drives are made that exceed
the limit. The older software had a drive size limitation of 137gig useable
per drive. A 100gig drive will yeild about 100 hours (at basic) 30
something at Best.

Typical rule of thumb is to use the lower RPM drives for noise and heat
concerns.

> #4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
> around in the next 5 years?

We all hope so. Their latest deal with Comcast should help.

> #5. How does Tivo plug into the TV? My TV connections are limited to
> RGB.

RF (ch 3/4), Composite and S Video.

> #6. Since I am probably going to hack Tivo, should I get a minimum 40
> hour referb model instead of a "better" one.

Cracking the case voids the warranty, so it's really not much of an issue.
Get what you feel comfortable with.

> #7. Is the lifetime Tivo subscription transferable to a new Tivo,
> should the old Tivo die or become obsolete?

Lifetime is for the hardware, not you. So no transfers.

> Ok, stop laughing. I said that I was an idiot. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:44:33 AM

On 2005-07-11, Scribner <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
> clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
> some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
> I R idiot, so please be kind.
>
> #1. The Tivo site says that 40 hours of capacity is not enough for
> recording in "best" quality. Exactly how much "best" recording time
> can you actually get out of a 40 hour Tivo?

From http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv..., 11
hours. That will vary a little depending on what you record.

> #2. Obviously, Tivo has a hard drive. How big is the hard drive in a
> 40 hour Tivo?

Around 40GB.

> #3. I understand that you can put a second hard drive in a Tivo. Are
> there any size limits?

Not really.

> What would I achieve with a 100 gig hard
> drive?

~100hours of basic recording. Just do the math based on the models listed
at the above URL for different disk sizes.

> Does hard drive spin speed and buffer really matter vis a vis
> Tivo?

No and yes. Functionality wise, no but most suggest getting the lowest
spin speed since they generate less heat and possibly use less energy.
The buffer doesn't matter for anything.

> #4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
> around in the next 5 years?

Hell yeah.

> #5. How does Tivo plug into the TV? My TV connections are limited to
> RGB.

See Chapter 2 of:

http://www.tivo.com/images/manuals/installguide_series2...

composite/SVideo or coax/RF.

> #6. Since I am probably going to hack Tivo, should I get a minimum 40
> hour referb model instead of a "better" one.

Get the very minimum you can find and add your own - much cheaper to go
this route.

> #7. Is the lifetime Tivo subscription transferable to a new Tivo,
> should the old Tivo die or become obsolete?

Um, I believe with a fee you can do a one-time transfer but I don't know
for sure. It is touched on here
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv...

--
This is my .sig
July 11, 2005 9:06:04 AM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:36:18 GMT, "Seth"
<seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
>> clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
>> some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
>> I R idiot, so please be kind.
>>
>> #1. The Tivo site says that 40 hours of capacity is not enough for
>> recording in "best" quality. Exactly how much "best" recording time
>> can you actually get out of a 40 hour Tivo?
>
>I think it was around 13 hours or so. But there are 4 levels and you may
>find that the lower levels are fine for certain things. Some people never
>use Best.
>
>> #2. Obviously, Tivo has a hard drive. How big is the hard drive in a
>> 40 hour Tivo?
>
>40gig
>
>> #3. I understand that you can put a second hard drive in a Tivo. Are
>> there any size limits? What would I achieve with a 100 gig hard
>> drive? Does hard drive spin speed and buffer really matter vis a vis
>> Tivo?
>
>With the latest software supporting LBA48, no drives are made that exceed
>the limit. The older software had a drive size limitation of 137gig useable
>per drive. A 100gig drive will yeild about 100 hours (at basic) 30
>something at Best.
>
>Typical rule of thumb is to use the lower RPM drives for noise and heat
>concerns.
>
>> #4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
>> around in the next 5 years?
>
>We all hope so. Their latest deal with Comcast should help.
>
>> #5. How does Tivo plug into the TV? My TV connections are limited to
>> RGB.
>
>RF (ch 3/4), Composite and S Video.
>
>> #6. Since I am probably going to hack Tivo, should I get a minimum 40
>> hour referb model instead of a "better" one.
>
>Cracking the case voids the warranty, so it's really not much of an issue.
>Get what you feel comfortable with.
>
>> #7. Is the lifetime Tivo subscription transferable to a new Tivo,
>> should the old Tivo die or become obsolete?
>
>Lifetime is for the hardware, not you. So no transfers.
>
>> Ok, stop laughing. I said that I was an idiot. Thanks.

Thank you.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 9:06:18 AM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:44:33 -0000, Mike Hunt <in2sheep@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On 2005-07-11, Scribner <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
>> clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
>> some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
>> I R idiot, so please be kind.
>>
>> #1. The Tivo site says that 40 hours of capacity is not enough for
>> recording in "best" quality. Exactly how much "best" recording time
>> can you actually get out of a 40 hour Tivo?
>
>From http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv..., 11
>hours. That will vary a little depending on what you record.
>
>> #2. Obviously, Tivo has a hard drive. How big is the hard drive in a
>> 40 hour Tivo?
>
>Around 40GB.
>
>> #3. I understand that you can put a second hard drive in a Tivo. Are
>> there any size limits?
>
>Not really.
>
>> What would I achieve with a 100 gig hard
>> drive?
>
>~100hours of basic recording. Just do the math based on the models listed
>at the above URL for different disk sizes.
>
>> Does hard drive spin speed and buffer really matter vis a vis
>> Tivo?
>
>No and yes. Functionality wise, no but most suggest getting the lowest
>spin speed since they generate less heat and possibly use less energy.
>The buffer doesn't matter for anything.
>
>> #4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
>> around in the next 5 years?
>
>Hell yeah.
>
>> #5. How does Tivo plug into the TV? My TV connections are limited to
>> RGB.
>
>See Chapter 2 of:
>
>http://www.tivo.com/images/manuals/installguide_series2...
>
>composite/SVideo or coax/RF.
>
>> #6. Since I am probably going to hack Tivo, should I get a minimum 40
>> hour referb model instead of a "better" one.
>
>Get the very minimum you can find and add your own - much cheaper to go
>this route.
>
>> #7. Is the lifetime Tivo subscription transferable to a new Tivo,
>> should the old Tivo die or become obsolete?
>
>Um, I believe with a fee you can do a one-time transfer but I don't know
>for sure. It is touched on here
>http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv...

Thank you.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 11:29:50 AM

>> #3. I understand that you can put a second hard drive in a Tivo. Are
>> there any size limits? What would I achieve with a 100 gig hard
>> drive? Does hard drive spin speed and buffer really matter vis a vis
>> Tivo?
>

> With the latest software supporting LBA48, no drives are made that
> exceed the limit. The older software had a drive size limitation of
> 137gig useable per drive. A 100gig drive will yeild about 100 hours (at
> basic) 30 something at Best.
>
> Typical rule of thumb is to use the lower RPM drives for noise and heat
> concerns.

I've read here that drives larger than 300 GB may not be fully utilized,
but as not a lot of people have used drives that large, I don't know how
certain that is.

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:27:30 PM

"Seth" <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > #4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
> > around in the next 5 years?

I hope so, but you really need only concern yourself with the next two
years:

300 / 13 = ~23

So 23, 24 months to break even. In my experience it's been worth it. Since
you can replace a hard drive, replace the modem with a NIC, and there are
places to get IR modules, power supplies, etc., a lot of potential problems
can be fixed. I've got a Series 1 box that's still up and running strong, I
think coming up on 5 years.

> > #6. Since I am probably going to hack Tivo, should I get a minimum 40
> > hour referb model instead of a "better" one.

Refurb or not is up to you, but yeah, it doesn't make much sense to me to
pay more for a bigger drive.

> > #7. Is the lifetime Tivo subscription transferable to a new Tivo,
> > should the old Tivo die or become obsolete?

It's the lifetime of the unit, so the general answer is no. However, if it
dies prematurely, you might be able to swing something. If it becomes
obsolete, well, I guess that depends. Becomes obsolete because it's 6 years
old and they've got newer models? Probably not. Becomes obsolete because a
year from now they intro the whiz-bang Series 3 unit, that's light years
ahead? Maybe, I think they did a special transfer offer when the S2's came
out.

Ed
89CamaroZ28@nowherenow.com
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 2:28:59 PM

"Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> #1. The Tivo site says that 40 hours of capacity is not enough for
> recording in "best" quality. Exactly how much "best" recording time
> can you actually get out of a 40 hour Tivo?

Other people have answered how many hours you can get at "Best", but for what
it's worth, I have 120 GB in my Tivo and I rarely record anything higher than
"High" quality. Given the quality of my source (dish network digital standard
def), high is virtually indistinguishable from best except in very fast motion
(sports, perhaps).

Ken
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 6:59:32 PM

> #4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
> around in the next 5 years?

While the guide service most likely will be bought up, Tivo as the
current entity will not last anywhere near 5 yrs. Don't listen to
flamers on newsgroups, ask financial people. The stock is rated "junk"
by 2 services and 2/3 of the subcribers are from Direct and Direct is
not renewing their contract with Tivo and is sourcing its' own PVRs.
July 11, 2005 8:08:12 PM

Scribner wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:36:18 GMT, "Seth"
> <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
>>> clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
>>> some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
>>> I R idiot, so please be kind.
>>>
>>> #1. The Tivo site says that 40 hours of capacity is not enough for
>>> recording in "best" quality. Exactly how much "best" recording time
>>> can you actually get out of a 40 hour Tivo?
>>
>> I think it was around 13 hours or so. But there are 4 levels and you may
>> find that the lower levels are fine for certain things. Some people never
>> use Best.
>>
>>> #2. Obviously, Tivo has a hard drive. How big is the hard drive in a
>>> 40 hour Tivo?
>>
>> 40gig
>>
>>> #3. I understand that you can put a second hard drive in a Tivo. Are
>>> there any size limits? What would I achieve with a 100 gig hard
>>> drive? Does hard drive spin speed and buffer really matter vis a vis
>>> Tivo?
>>
>> With the latest software supporting LBA48, no drives are made that exceed
>> the limit. The older software had a drive size limitation of 137gig useable
>> per drive. A 100gig drive will yeild about 100 hours (at basic) 30
>> something at Best.
>>
>> Typical rule of thumb is to use the lower RPM drives for noise and heat
>> concerns.
>>
>>> #4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
>>> around in the next 5 years?
>>
>> We all hope so. Their latest deal with Comcast should help.
>>
>>> #5. How does Tivo plug into the TV? My TV connections are limited to
>>> RGB.
>>
>> RF (ch 3/4), Composite and S Video.
>>
>>> #6. Since I am probably going to hack Tivo, should I get a minimum 40
>>> hour referb model instead of a "better" one.
>>
>> Cracking the case voids the warranty, so it's really not much of an issue.
>> Get what you feel comfortable with.
>>
>>> #7. Is the lifetime Tivo subscription transferable to a new Tivo,
>>> should the old Tivo die or become obsolete?
>>
>> Lifetime is for the hardware, not you. So no transfers.
>>
>>> Ok, stop laughing. I said that I was an idiot. Thanks.
>
> Thank you.

The OP said HD Tivo and his TV input is RGB. So I think he means HD and that
would change all the specs related to hard drives... would it not.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 8:08:13 PM

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message

> The OP said HD Tivo and his TV input is RGB. So I think he means HD and
> that
> would change all the specs related to hard drives... would it not.

The OP only mentioned a future HD Tivo as being a reason for the sale on
current models. He did not say anything about getting an HD Tivo.
And yes, with HD Tivo the info related to hard drive recording capacity
would be different.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 8:23:06 PM

You've got to be kidding me. Here you are knocking others for not
producing links, and you have the gall to fail to produce a single one.
All right, I'll take the bait, here's an actual summary of analysts:

Current Analyst Recommendations

Trend of Analyst Recommendations*
Recommendation Current 1 Month Ago 2 Months Ago 3 Months Ago

Buy 3 2 2 2
Outperform 3 3 2 2
Neutral 4 4 4 4
Underperform 2 3 2 2
Sell - - 1 1 2

Content Provided by Third Parties

This is from Fidelity's research (members only) pages, so I
unfortunately can't provide the link. If you look carefully, you'll
note that the average recommendations has been around a hold, with a
solid recent trend upwards towards Outperform. While not a glowing
recommendation as an investment, it's far from the dregs (look at
Charter cable for that), and is no idicator that it's about to go under
anytime soon. Also, on a happy note, Tivo cut it's losses by 91% over
the past year. That's a solid sign that they should be profitable very
soon. The Comcast deal ought to hurry that up even more.

Randy S.
July 11, 2005 8:43:40 PM

"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message

> Scribner wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 02:36:18 GMT, "Seth"
>> <seth_lermanNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> "Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I think it was around 13 hours or so. But there are 4 levels and you
>>> may
>>> find that the lower levels are fine for certain things. Some people
>>> never
>>> use Best.

>>> 40gig

>>> With the latest software supporting LBA48, no drives are made that
>>> exceed
>>> the limit. The older software had a drive size limitation of 137gig
>>> useable
>>> per drive. A 100gig drive will yeild about 100 hours (at basic) 30
>>> something at Best.
>>>
>>> Typical rule of thumb is to use the lower RPM drives for noise and heat
>>> concerns.

>>> We all hope so. Their latest deal with Comcast should help.

>>> RF (ch 3/4), Composite and S Video.

>>> Cracking the case voids the warranty, so it's really not much of an
>>> issue.
>>> Get what you feel comfortable with.

>>> Lifetime is for the hardware, not you. So no transfers.

>> Thank you.
>
> The OP said HD Tivo and his TV input is RGB. So I think he means HD and
> that
> would change all the specs related to hard drives... would it not.

Yeah, he did say HD TiVo. Oops. But based on the context of the rest of
the message, I'm going to guess HD stands for Hard Drive as he mentions 40
hour and lifetime which would not apply to a HiDef DirecTiVo.

But just in case he is referring to a HiDef DirecTiVo and not a standalone,
the following addendums...

In that case, system comes with 250gig drive which yields about 30 hours of
HD and 200 hours of SD (and a mix in between).

Also, no lifetime service is available at all as it is a DirecTV unit.
Anonymous
July 11, 2005 11:04:22 PM

On 2005-07-11, Tony D. <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>> #4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
>> around in the next 5 years?
>>

> While the guide service most likely will be bought up, Tivo as the
> current entity will not last anywhere near 5 yrs. Don't listen to
> flamers on newsgroups, ask financial people. The stock is rated "junk"
> by 2 services and 2/3 of the subcribers are from Direct and Direct is
> not renewing their contract with Tivo and is sourcing its' own PVRs.

And trolls have been saying stuff just like this for the last 5 years yet
TiVo is stronger than ever.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous

Mike Hunt wrote:
> On 2005-07-11, Tony D. <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>>#4. Lifetime Tivo service contract: Does it look like Tivo will be
>>>around in the next 5 years?
>>>

>>While the guide service most likely will be bought up, Tivo as the
>>current entity will not last anywhere near 5 yrs. Don't listen to
>>flamers on newsgroups, ask financial people. The stock is rated "junk"
>>by 2 services and 2/3 of the subcribers are from Direct and Direct is
>>not renewing their contract with Tivo and is sourcing its' own PVRs.
>

> And trolls have been saying stuff just like this for the last 5 years yet
> TiVo is stronger than ever.

I don't know about trolls. I do know that instead of posting links from
financial organization all you get is you and your uncle Louie saying
"stronger than ever". Even a total dope would burst out laughing at that
statement. Hell, even my local paper had a missing one foot, the other
on a banana peel article in the business section about Tivo last month.

Didn't the CEO AND the number 2 guy leave just a couple of months ago??
I suppose investors are flushing Tivo's coffers with money. Did they
ever find anyone to mfg the stand alone HD unit they showed in 2003? I
agree they are "stronger than ever" in press releases. Everytime they
have to make payroll, there is a new "announcement". They have a new
Comcast "deal" where they kinda sorta might do something unless of
course either party decides to cancel with no obligation and walk away.
How's that Tivo Blockbuster thing working out? That was a big
"announcement" also.

Thier current book val/share -.01 Industry avg 9.61 Std & Poor 12.6
July 11, 2005 11:16:19 PM

* Tony D. Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> Don't listen to
> flamers on newsgroups, ask financial people.

You mean like the ones the post their opinion on finacial pages like
Yahoo? Where the Mean rating is 2.48 which is closer to BUY than SELL?

--
David
Anonymous

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 10:28:59 -0400, "Ken Alverson"
<USENET.Ken@Alverson.net> wrote:

>"Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> #1. The Tivo site says that 40 hours of capacity is not enough for
>> recording in "best" quality. Exactly how much "best" recording time
>> can you actually get out of a 40 hour Tivo?
>
>Other people have answered how many hours you can get at "Best", but for what
>it's worth, I have 120 GB in my Tivo and I rarely record anything higher than
>"High" quality. Given the quality of my source (dish network digital standard
>def), high is virtually indistinguishable from best except in very fast motion
>(sports, perhaps).
>
>Ken

Ok, thanks.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:09:07 AM

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:37:23 -0500, "Zardaz" <wizofoz@emerldcty.com>
wrote:

>"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
>>

>> The OP said HD Tivo and his TV input is RGB. So I think he means HD and
>> that
>> would change all the specs related to hard drives... would it not.
>>

>The OP only mentioned a future HD Tivo as being a reason for the sale on
>current models. He did not say anything about getting an HD Tivo.
>And yes, with HD Tivo the info related to hard drive recording capacity
>would be different.

I used HD to refer to High Def. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 1:16:11 AM

Well, what the OP said was:

I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
I R idiot, so please be kind.

So yes, HD is obviously High Def here, but it isn't obvious if he is
planning on plonking down $$$ for a SATiVo, a DTiVo, or a HDDTiVo.
Most/many assumed SATiVo and answers will be different for DTiVo and
HDDTiVo.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous

Tony D. wrote:

>> And trolls have been saying stuff just like this for the last 5 years yet
>> TiVo is stronger than ever.
>>
> I don't know about trolls. I do know that instead of posting links from
> financial organization all you get is ...

But links from financial experts have been posted.
-Joe

http://money.cnn.com/2005/05/24/technology/tivo/

Tivo spikes on buy rating, $16 target
First Albany likes the outlook for the maker of digital
video recorders, despite losses.
May 24, 2005: 5:56 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - TiVo's stock rallied Tuesday after an analyst at
First Albany initiated coverage of the company with a 'strong buy'
rating, setting a price target of $16.

TiVo (Research) stock jumped about 18 percent after rising as much as 25
percent earlier in the session. The shares closed Monday at $5.60.

In his report, First Albany analyst Richard Baldry cited anticipated
solid growth in the sector and TiVo's DVR partnership with Comcast as
the main factors behind the rating. He projected that growth in the
sector would continue at its current pace of 125 percent a year.

"We believe that TiVo's strategy of subsidizing its hardware to
accelerate its growth and solidify its long-term market share is as
strong one," Baldry said in his report.

"TiVo has already established itself as the leading vendor in this new,
fast-growing consumer electronics category. Rather than viewing TiVo as
a new hardware provider, however, we believe that the company's true
underlying value is centered around its recurring service model."
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 6:27:00 AM

Randy S. wrote:

> You've got to be kidding me. Here you are knocking others for not
> producing links, and you have the gall to fail to produce a single one.
> All right, I'll take the bait, here's an actual summary of analysts:
>

> Current Analyst Recommendations
>
> Trend of Analyst Recommendations*
> Recommendation Current 1 Month Ago 2 Months Ago 3 Months Ago
>
> Buy 3 2 2 2
> Outperform 3 3 2 2
> Neutral 4 4 4 4
> Underperform 2 3 2 2
> Sell - - 1 1 2

I think you should put your 401k all in Tivo. The press release about
Comcast will cause a spike in the stock, the way the Direct thing caused
it to plummet. The Comcast deal also require absolutely no obligation on
Comcast's part. Nothing changes the bottom line, I guess Forbes, WSJ,
etc use different "analysts".

The stock has "popped" before (courtesy of press releases).
http://money.cnn.com/2005/03/09/technology/tivo/

There are a few hundred of these:

http://tdgsecure.secure-shops5.com/product.asp?itemid=5...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-5189...

http://www.digitalmerging.la/archives/2005/01/directv_i...

http://p139.news.scd.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20050706/bs_prwe...

If you want I CAN put in a few hundred links.
July 12, 2005 7:01:32 AM

Mike Hunt wrote:
> On 2005-07-11, Scribner <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:37:23 -0500, "Zardaz" <wizofoz@emerldcty.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message

>>> The OP only mentioned a future HD Tivo as being a reason for the sale on
>>> current models. He did not say anything about getting an HD Tivo.
>>> And yes, with HD Tivo the info related to hard drive recording capacity
>>> would be different.
>>>
>> I used HD to refer to High Def. Thanks.
>
> Well, what the OP said was:
>
> I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
> clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
> some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
> I R idiot, so please be kind.
>
> So yes, HD is obviously High Def here, but it isn't obvious if he is
> planning on plonking down $$$ for a SATiVo, a DTiVo, or a HDDTiVo.
> Most/many assumed SATiVo and answers will be different for DTiVo and
> HDDTiVo.

Not to beat a dead horse but he also said his TV has only RGB input.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:42:13 AM

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 03:01:32 GMT, "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote:

>Mike Hunt wrote:
>> On 2005-07-11, Scribner <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> I used HD to refer to High Def. Thanks.
>>
>> Well, what the OP said was:
>>
>> I just happened to find out that Tivo is going on sale. Probably to
>> clear inventory for HD Tivo. But before I plonk down my $$ I have
>> some questions for those of you who have experience with this device.
>> I R idiot, so please be kind.
>>
>> So yes, HD is obviously High Def here, but it isn't obvious if he is
>> planning on plonking down $$$ for a SATiVo, a DTiVo, or a HDDTiVo.
>> Most/many assumed SATiVo and answers will be different for DTiVo and
>> HDDTiVo.
>
>Not to beat a dead horse but he also said his TV has only RGB input.

Ok, I didn't think that Tivo was this complicated. I have Time Warner
high definition digital cable. My cable box is a Scientific Atlanta
Explorer 3250 HD (high definition). My TV is a Pioneer PDP-4314 with
Analog RGB, HDMI, S-Video and Component Video inputs. I have a
special component video switch box into which I have connected my DVD
player and my cable box which feeds the TV. The VCR is connected
directly to the TV via S-Video.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:42:14 AM

> Ok, I didn't think that Tivo was this complicated.

It really isn't as complicated as it sounds. If you don't have DirectTV, the
only options are standalone Tivos, with or without DVD[-R]. There are several
brands, but aside from hard drive size and DVD abilities, they are largely
interchangable.

> I have Time Warner
> high definition digital cable.

Unfortunately, standalone Tivo does not currently record hidef. It will
record hidef downsampled to standard def resolution, though, which looks much
better than any standard def source besides DVD.

> My cable box is a Scientific Atlanta
> Explorer 3250 HD (high definition). My TV is a Pioneer PDP-4314 with
> Analog RGB, HDMI, S-Video and Component Video inputs. I have a
> special component video switch box into which I have connected my DVD
> player and my cable box which feeds the TV. The VCR is connected
> directly to the TV via S-Video.

Standalone Tivos can use any of the non-hidef inputs on your TV. That is,
they can use the coax antenna input, composite (single yellow RCA), and
s-video. The DVD units add support for component, and will even output a
progressive scan 480p signal (it will upconvert your standard def, and do
progressive conversion on your DVDs).

Audio input can come via coax antenna input or stereo RCA (red/white cables).
The DVD capable machines have optical digital audio output, but the input is
stereo, so you will only get Dolby Digital from DVD material.

Ken
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 8:53:16 AM

You're basing this all on one questionable (to me at least) report.
The 2nd link is just a restatement of fundamentals, it's not even an
analysis, the 3rd link is an outdated (pre-comcast deal) 10 second
musing by a blogger, and the 4th link is merely a new story about the
1st link. And let's look at the contentions of the 1st link:

"* TiVo's recent deal with Comcast will face many difficulties and have
little impact, if any, in terms of moving TiVo DVRs. Architectural
differences in software will lead to limited deployments and
compromised functionality (especially when compared to stand-alone
TiVos). "

The same things could have been said about the Directivos. The
architecture is somewhat different and there is some compromised
functionality (networking, TTG). Yet the Directivo is wildly
successful! Go figure?

"* TiVo's forthcoming Series3 HD-DVR with Multi-Stream CableCard and
built-in networking will be too expensive for most consumers and thus
require substantial carrier subsidies to impact the market. With cable
and satellite companies leasing similar products for little or no
upfront costs, the HD models of the Series3 will see tepid sales. "

I agree that HD models may initially see tepid sales. Because HD
models of everything right now (except TV's themselves which are
selling like hotcakes, a sign of the future trend on everything else
HD) are seeing tepid sales due to high cost and lack of widespread HD
content. You could argue that HD has nowhere to go but up fast, since
widespread availability of digital broadcasts is essentially mandated
by '08 (I think it's '08 anyway). Also, there's no reason a non-HD
Series 3 wouldn't be a hot seller.

"* TiVo will win its patent dispute with Dish Network but won't see
significant revenue from the litigation. "

I won't disagree with this, I just don't know enough about it. But I
doubt Dish network has that much money to cough up in a settlement
anyway.

"* TiVo will remain unattractive as an acquisition target unless its
stock falls to record lows - an event that has been made more likely
due to the departure of DirecTV. Should a suitor emerge, the buyer will
most likely be a broadband content distributor or a large consumer
electronics company - an Apple/TiVo merger is not out of the
question."

Well, we all know that the Apple/Tivo merger thing was a complete
speculation with absolutely no grounds. Jobs has no interest in DVRs,
or video in general (he said so in a keynote, something about there
being no headphone equivalent for video). I would have thought that
the main threat of acquisition was *before* the comcast deal, perhaps
by comcast themselves, why pay money out if you can just buy the
company and keep everything internal? But it didn't happen that way,
and I think it's much less likely now.

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:46:50 PM

"Randy S." <rswitt@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You're basing this all on one questionable (to me at least) report.

Nice work Randy. Apparently Tony's got an axe to grind and nothing better
to do with his time. Ah well, some poor souls are like that.
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 7:00:48 PM

> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:37:23 -0500, "Zardaz" <wizofoz@emerldcty.com>
> wrote:
>

>>"DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> The OP said HD Tivo and his TV input is RGB. So I think he means HD and
>>> that
>>> would change all the specs related to hard drives... would it not.
>>>

>>The OP only mentioned a future HD Tivo as being a reason for the sale on
>>current models. He did not say anything about getting an HD Tivo.
>>And yes, with HD Tivo the info related to hard drive recording capacity
>>would be different.
>>

> I used HD to refer to High Def. Thanks.

You're as dumb as the rest of 'em if you think that needed clarification.
July 13, 2005 1:19:00 AM

Zardaz wrote:
> "Scribner" <walter3ca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:37:23 -0500, "Zardaz" <wizofoz@emerldcty.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "DanR" <dhr22@sorrynospm.com> wrote in message

>>> The OP only mentioned a future HD Tivo as being a reason for the sale on
>>> current models. He did not say anything about getting an HD Tivo.
>>> And yes, with HD Tivo the info related to hard drive recording capacity
>>> would be different.
>>>

>> I used HD to refer to High Def. Thanks.
>
> You're as dumb as the rest of 'em if you think that needed clarification.

He could have been talking about 3½" floppy disks.
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 7:03:25 AM

No, the difference in architecture I was thinking of was the native
digital recording. I quoted networking and TTG as exampes of
compromised functionality (yes, due to Directv's decision, not any
physical differences).

Randy S.
July 13, 2005 10:13:18 AM

In article <1121169196.059459.118170@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "Randy S." <rswitt@gmail.com> wrote:
>You're basing this all on one questionable (to me at least) report.
>The 2nd link is just a restatement of fundamentals, it's not even an
>analysis, the 3rd link is an outdated (pre-comcast deal) 10 second
>musing by a blogger, and the 4th link is merely a new story about the
>1st link. And let's look at the contentions of the 1st link:
>
>"* TiVo's recent deal with Comcast will face many difficulties and have
>little impact, if any, in terms of moving TiVo DVRs. Architectural
>differences in software will lead to limited deployments and
>compromised functionality (especially when compared to stand-alone
>TiVos). "
>
>The same things could have been said about the Directivos. The
>architecture is somewhat different and there is some compromised
>functionality (networking, TTG). Yet the Directivo is wildly
>successful! Go figure?

There is nothing physical in the architecture of the DirecTivo to prevent
networking or TTG. It functions on hacked boxes just fine. Its just the
a$$holes at DirecTV that wont turn it on.

>"* TiVo's forthcoming Series3 HD-DVR with Multi-Stream CableCard and
>built-in networking will be too expensive for most consumers and thus
>require substantial carrier subsidies to impact the market. With cable
>and satellite companies leasing similar products for little or no
>upfront costs, the HD models of the Series3 will see tepid sales. "
>
>I agree that HD models may initially see tepid sales. Because HD
>models of everything right now (except TV's themselves which are
>selling like hotcakes, a sign of the future trend on everything else
>HD) are seeing tepid sales due to high cost and lack of widespread HD
>content. You could argue that HD has nowhere to go but up fast, since
>widespread availability of digital broadcasts is essentially mandated
>by '08 (I think it's '08 anyway). Also, there's no reason a non-HD
>Series 3 wouldn't be a hot seller.
>
>"* TiVo will win its patent dispute with Dish Network but won't see
>significant revenue from the litigation. "
>
>I won't disagree with this, I just don't know enough about it. But I
>doubt Dish network has that much money to cough up in a settlement
>anyway.
>
>"* TiVo will remain unattractive as an acquisition target unless its
>stock falls to record lows - an event that has been made more likely
>due to the departure of DirecTV. Should a suitor emerge, the buyer will
>most likely be a broadband content distributor or a large consumer
>electronics company - an Apple/TiVo merger is not out of the
>question."
>
>Well, we all know that the Apple/Tivo merger thing was a complete
>speculation with absolutely no grounds. Jobs has no interest in DVRs,
>or video in general (he said so in a keynote, something about there
>being no headphone equivalent for video). I would have thought that
>the main threat of acquisition was *before* the comcast deal, perhaps
>by comcast themselves, why pay money out if you can just buy the
>company and keep everything internal? But it didn't happen that way,
>and I think it's much less likely now.
>
>Randy S.

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:36:13 PM

Ken Alverson wrote:
> If you don't have DirectTV, the
> only options are standalone Tivos, with or without DVD[-R]. There are several
> brands, but aside from hard drive size and DVD abilities, they are largely
> interchangable.

What are good brands? (Every dealer I call insists I need DirectTV.)

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:36:16 PM

Ken Alverson wrote:
> If you don't have DirectTV, the
> only options are standalone Tivos, with or without DVD[-R]. There are several
> brands, but aside from hard drive size and DVD abilities, they are largely
> interchangable.

What are good brands? (Every dealer I call insists I need DirectTV.)

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:36:22 PM

Ken Alverson wrote:
> If you don't have DirectTV, the
> only options are standalone Tivos, with or without DVD[-R]. There are several
> brands, but aside from hard drive size and DVD abilities, they are largely
> interchangable.

What are good brands? (Every dealer I call insists I need DirectTV.)

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:36:23 PM

Ken Alverson wrote:
> If you don't have DirectTV, the
> only options are standalone Tivos, with or without DVD[-R]. There are several
> brands, but aside from hard drive size and DVD abilities, they are largely
> interchangable.

What are good brands? (Every dealer I call insists I need DirectTV.)

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:36:24 PM

Ken Alverson wrote:
> If you don't have DirectTV, the
> only options are standalone Tivos, with or without DVD[-R]. There are several
> brands, but aside from hard drive size and DVD abilities, they are largely
> interchangable.

What are good brands? (Every dealer I call insists I need DirectTV.)

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 6:36:35 PM

Ken Alverson wrote:
> If you don't have DirectTV, the
> only options are standalone Tivos, with or without DVD[-R]. There are several
> brands, but aside from hard drive size and DVD abilities, they are largely
> interchangable.

What are good brands? (Every dealer I call insists I need DirectTV.)

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 18, 2005 11:24:26 PM

<aloe@rev.net> wrote in message
> Ken Alverson wrote:
>> If you don't have DirectTV, the
>> only options are standalone Tivos, with or without DVD[-R]. There are
>> several
>> brands, but aside from hard drive size and DVD abilities, they are largely
>> interchangable.
>
> What are good brands? (Every dealer I call insists I need DirectTV.)

If you have DirectTV, consider a DirectTV based Tivo. You will get an exact
copy of what is broadcast, Tivo doesn't have to recompress the signal.
Additionally, you will be able to record two shows at once.

However, the downside is you will lose the ability to use HMO (mp3s, photos,
network show transfers between units if you have more than one), and the box
will not work with anything except DirectTV.

I don't know much about the different brands of units out there except to say
that I have several Tivo branded ones, they are basically the standard, and I
have used a Humax standalone and it was pretty indistinguishable during the
time I used it. I also have a Pioneer DVD-R unit and it is well built - worth
the price if you need (want) DVD-R capability. I can't compare it to other
DVD-R Tivo units, because it's the only one I've used.

Ken
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:23:22 PM

Ken Alverson wrote:
> <aloe@rev.net> wrote in message

> If you have DirectTV, consider a DirectTV based Tivo.

No thanks. I'm not interested in paying $500 annually just to record
TV. (I've been using my VCR for years at a fraction of the cost.)

I'll inquire about the standalones.

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:11:19 AM

On 2005-07-19, aloe@rev.net <aloe@rev.net> wrote:

> Ken Alverson wrote:
>> <aloe@rev.net> wrote in message
>
>> If you have DirectTV, consider a DirectTV based Tivo.
>
> No thanks. I'm not interested in paying $500 annually just to record
> TV. (I've been using my VCR for years at a fraction of the cost.)
>
> I'll inquire about the standalones.

A standalone monthly fee is more than a DTiVo monthly fee.

And $500 annually is $41.66/month. Why would you pay $41.66/month for
TiVo service? Unless this was a knock against DirecTV...but that's why
Ken wrote "If you have DirecTV..." If you already are paying for DirecTV,
a DTiVo is a no-brainer. If you don't have DirecTV, it might not be the
best solution.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous

Mike Hunt wrote:
> On 2005-07-19, aloe@rev.net <aloe@rev.net> wrote:

> > I'll inquire about the standalones.
>
> A standalone monthly fee is more than a DTiVo monthly fee.

A local appliance store told me I could buy a device for under $200. As
it will pick up a free broadcast signal, why would there be any monthly
fee?

> If you don't have DirecTV, it might not be the
> best solution.

What is the best solution when I want to record "Late Night" but save
only the few entertaining minutes? It is not easy to juggle VCR tapes.

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:28:32 PM

On 2005-07-23, aloe@rev.net <aloe@rev.net> wrote:
> Mike Hunt wrote:
>> On 2005-07-19, aloe@rev.net <aloe@rev.net> wrote:
>
>> > I'll inquire about the standalones.
>>
>> A standalone monthly fee is more than a DTiVo monthly fee.
>
> A local appliance store told me I could buy a device for under $200. As
> it will pick up a free broadcast signal, why would there be any monthly
> fee?

There are two parts to a TiVo. The hardware and the software. The $200
gets you the hardware and the monthly fee gets you access to the software.
Without the software, the hardware is pretty useless.

>> If you don't have DirecTV, it might not be the
>> best solution.
>
> What is the best solution when I want to record "Late Night" but save
> only the few entertaining minutes? It is not easy to juggle VCR tapes.

I can't think of any good solution for this. If you actual mean to just
save partial shows instead of entire shows etc., I don't know of a
convenient way to do that with any hardware. Purhaps MythTV can do this
without too much pain (marking slices and cutting them out)?

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous

> What is the best solution when I want to record "Late Night" but save
> only the few entertaining minutes? It is not easy to juggle VCR tapes.
>
> -- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;

Get a DVD recorder, copy the VOB files to a pc, convert to mpeg, edit as
you wish, make compilations of the clips you want and burn to DVD in the PC.
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:22:33 PM

Tony D wrote:
> > What is the best solution when I want to record "Late Night" but save
> > only the few entertaining minutes? It is not easy to juggle VCR tapes.

> Get a DVD recorder, copy the VOB files to a pc, convert to mpeg, edit as
> you wish, make compilations of the clips you want and burn to DVD in the PC.

If I get a DVD recorder, why can't I burn a DVD there? Why do you say I
should use the PC?

-- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
Anonymous
July 28, 2005 7:26:10 PM

Mike Hunt wrote:
> On 2005-07-23, aloe@rev.net <aloe@rev.net> wrote:
> > Mike Hunt wrote:
> >> On 2005-07-19, aloe@rev.net <aloe@rev.net> wrote:

> > A local appliance store told me I could buy a device for under $200. As
> > it will pick up a free broadcast signal, why would there be any monthly
> > fee?
>
> There are two parts to a TiVo. The hardware and the software. The $200
> gets you the hardware and the monthly fee gets you access to the software.
> Without the software, the hardware is pretty useless.

Can't I buy software or write it? What operating systems are available?

-- Spud <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
July 28, 2005 10:43:48 PM

> Mike Hunt wrote:
>
>> > A local appliance store told me I could buy a device for under $200. As
>> > it will pick up a free broadcast signal, why would there be any monthly
>> > fee?
>>
>> There are two parts to a TiVo. The hardware and the software. The $200
>> gets you the hardware and the monthly fee gets you access to the
>> software.
>> Without the software, the hardware is pretty useless.
>
> Can't I buy software or write it? What operating systems are available?

The OS is a customized version of Linux for the PPC or MIPS processors
(depending on the generation of equipment). Then there is the TiVo app
itself which is the interface to the user as well as the engine behind the
whole machine. And then there are the proprietary device drivers to handle
the custom hardware in the machine.

My guess is that if it were trivial someone would have already written a
replacement OS/DVR App to put on machines. But if you are a good
programmer, go for it. Would be interesting to see how it turns out.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 4:35:34 AM

On 2005-07-28, aloe@rev.net <aloe@rev.net> wrote:
> Mike Hunt wrote:
>
>> > A local appliance store told me I could buy a device for under $200. As
>> > it will pick up a free broadcast signal, why would there be any monthly
>> > fee?
>>
>> There are two parts to a TiVo. The hardware and the software. The $200
>> gets you the hardware and the monthly fee gets you access to the software.
>> Without the software, the hardware is pretty useless.
>
> Can't I buy software or write it? What operating systems are available?

You buy the software from TiVo via either the monthly subscription or the
lifetime subscription. Your second question isn't related since the OS is
part of the software we are talking about, it's not its own entity.

Can you write your own? Depends on how proprietary the hardware is I
would guess. It wouldn't be trivial else someone would have done so by
now.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous

aloe@rev.net wrote:
> Tony D wrote:
>
>>>What is the best solution when I want to record "Late Night" but save
>>>only the few entertaining minutes? It is not easy to juggle VCR tapes.
>

>>Get a DVD recorder, copy the VOB files to a pc, convert to mpeg, edit as
>>you wish, make compilations of the clips you want and burn to DVD in the PC.
>

> If I get a DVD recorder, why can't I burn a DVD there? Why do you say I
> should use the PC?
>
> -- Coney O'Hare <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;

You said you wanted to save "clips". To me that means "edit". You can't
edit on a standalone DVD recorder. At most you can mark endpoints before
you finalize the disk, but you still waste all the space beyond them.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 7:01:25 PM

Mike Hunt wrote:
> On 2005-07-23, aloe@rev.net <aloe@rev.net> wrote:

> > What is the best solution when I want to record "Late Night" but save
> > only the few entertaining minutes? It is not easy to juggle VCR tapes.
>
> I can't think of any good solution for this. If you actual mean to just
> save partial shows instead of entire shows etc., I don't know of a
> convenient way to do that with any hardware.

If Katie Melua, Tears for Fears, Joe Jackson, Aimee Mann, Jim Gaffigan,
or Tom Dreesen performs for a few minutes on a talk show, I don't want
to record the umpteenth boring interview with Jessica Simpleton, Brian
Williams, or Pam Anderson along with it. Right now, I have to keep my
trigger finger on the VCR control to separate the wheat from the chaff.

How do the rest of you handle it?

-- Spud <http://www.rev.net/~aloe/tv&gt;
!