Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Standard Frontier DNS Not Resolving

Last response: in Networking
Share
April 30, 2012 2:15:39 PM

Alright.... To catch you guys and gals up to speed with where I am at currently, my mother has Frontier High Speed Internet. This is her first problem. It was better with verizon though.

About 3 months ago, her internet wasn't working so she called me up and asked if I could take a look. I am in all actuality the most computer literate person in my entire family. ( I mean up to the great-great grandparent level, across different states)

Well, I ran some tests and discovered it was her DNS. I have a specific set of DNS servers at work (I'm not allowed to say what their IP is, small company) that I used to test them. I use them all day, every day at work and maintain them so I know whether they work or not.

Well, I called Frontier and told them what was going on and they ran me through the usual DNS flush, reset the tcplog, pinging an address (www.frontier.com) and pinging an IP (Google, 73.125.225.103). Only the IP worked flawlessly. I have also set in my personal DNS server IP's in manually in her iPhone and her Windows XP Desktop so she can still do what she needs without Frontier to quit giving us the run-around.

We've been through this song and dance 3 times now with the same results. I have a Westell Model 7500 model with frontier firmware on it. The modem says its connected and all, slow albeit but still connected.

My question is: Is there anything I am missing? Am I correct and the issue lying on their end?

If I am correct and the issue is with them, is there anything I can tell them to make them quit making me do this entire song and dance routine again and actually fix the problem on their end? Or can I manually edit the DNS numbers in this model router to the OpenDNS, Google's DNS, or my Private DNS numbers?

For the sake of being well informed, I have recreated the same issues from both her iPhone 4 and XP machine on my Alienware, Macbook Pro, Droid Razr, Chromebook beta, and my little netbook with Ubuntu on it. I've also solved this same issue on all the same devices that I have used at numerous different locations with numerous different ISP's, including our own service.

The only reason she does not use our internet from my company, my manager/owner of the company and her just do not get along at all.

Thanks in advance to anyone offering help
April 30, 2012 3:02:23 PM

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 Googles public dns servers.

For the sake of argument with the ISP there I would give them the readout of an Nslook up on her pc with a Failed response.

It could also be bad firmware, you didn't mention that there's a router in the picture here, so I'm assuming the cable modem is handling DNS, most modems are locked down tight, and there really isint a place to edit the dns settings or change them, so you may be better off installing a router, and using an external DNS source other than her ISP's which is obviously having issues.

Also don't rule out a faulty cable modem, or Security software. Probably not the case, but it's worth checking.
April 30, 2012 3:57:15 PM

No, this particular model is a wireless combo Modem/Router. Has 4 physical ports along with broadcasting wireless B/G.

The only reason I ruled out her security software was my linux laptop has no security software.

I've tried the Google DNS as well, same results. Will pull up whatever I want using any other DNS servers but with the standard frontier servers, I don't get squat without knowing the actual IP of the site. My mother is also technologically illiterate when it comes to computers. (This is surprising since she is a C.N.C. programmer and operator)
Related resources
April 30, 2012 4:04:51 PM

I'd submit them a screenshot of the failed nslookups and dns tests, tech support lvl 1 loves to aruge that it's something on your end always.
April 30, 2012 4:54:27 PM

As I've become aware. I went through this same bull with AT&T before I got so offed that I told them to shove it where the sun don't shine!
April 30, 2012 5:31:31 PM

I've had the same dealings with Century link - I blow their B.S. out of the water get xfered to a Tier III only to have the guy tell LvL-1 the same thing I've been telling them all along. It's just the standard game they play so they can open/close tickets and meet their SLA quota.
April 30, 2012 8:18:13 PM

Most of the techs they dispatch don't do ***. I've seen 5-6 of them on jobs for work drive by the house, sit in front of the place, and sit there for a few minutes and then leave and say it's working fine when they were supposed to be installing a dry pair.
May 2, 2012 2:02:58 PM

Having the same problem in Delphi, Indiana. The problem is with my Iphone and Ipad as well as my desktop. The Iphone and Ipad do not experience the same problem on the WIFI at MacDonalds. The tech guys either don't understand the nature of the problem or do not want to understnad. They just suggest I unplug and replug my modem and everything will be okay or that my problem is with the servers I am trying make contact with.

J Smith
May 2, 2012 2:23:40 PM

jsmith11 said:
Having the same problem in Delphi, Indiana. The problem is with my Iphone and Ipad as well as my desktop. The Iphone and Ipad do not experience the same problem on the WIFI at MacDonalds. The tech guys either don't understand the nature of the problem or do not want to understnad. They just suggest I unplug and replug my modem and everything will be okay or that my problem is with the servers I am trying make contact with.

J Smith



Go into your settings on the iPad on the wireless network, forget the network, reconnect, and try again. See if that works.
!