Sign in with
Your question

Router becomes "overloaded"

Last response: in Networking
April 30, 2012 9:45:14 PM

I have recently been experiencing issues with my internet connection generally losing connectivity for as little as a couple of seconds, up to 15-30 seconds when playing games. This happens to multiple computers in my household, and only recently started happening after moving. I initially thought it was the ISP, but after some "troubleshooting" I disconnected my router, and hooked my PC up directly to the modem, no issues at all. Thinking the router was just a big piece of crap after the years of using it, I went out and bought a brand new D-Link DIR-655, and the problems persist.

- It doesn't happen constantly, but it is the kind of thing I can generally rely on happening.
- My ISP did not change when I moved, the modem is a different one, but still the same model as before.
- Additionally, my PC is connected to the router via wire, and there is a laptop in the household that works wireless and also experiences the same problem.
- Previous router had no security but used MAC filtering, also experienced this issue
- Current router uses security, with the same issue.
- UPnP and multiband are enabled on the router.
- I never experience issues with this unless I am gaming, though I guess it could also happen other times and I just havent noticed.

More about : router overloaded

May 1, 2012 3:41:09 PM

What kind of connection do you have, and what modem? You've already eliminated the router as the issue, so it's either your ISP or the modem.
m
l
May 1, 2012 4:16:38 PM

I have a 20Mb cable connection using a Toshiba PCX2500 cable modem.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 1, 2012 4:42:47 PM

I guess the Issue I have here is that the connection seems to be fine when connected directly to the modem, yet when the router is connected there seems to be regular momentary connection issues.
m
l
May 1, 2012 10:44:11 PM

So there is a momentary connection issue between the router and the modem. Your router is configured for DHCP WAN correct?
m
l
May 2, 2012 8:05:56 PM

That is correct yes.

Could the modem simply be faulty? I don't understand why it would have such a disagreement with the router.
m
l
May 3, 2012 1:27:21 AM

Possibly, as it appears that other users of your particular modem have also had the sam kind of issues.
m
l
!