R520m language pack

I want to add languages to my R520m. I see a lot of flashing/unlocking
dongles for sale from $70 up to $300. Does anyone know if this is what I
need? Looks like they come with dongle, cable, and software CD.

Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about r520m language pack

    "David" <n4wwl@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I want to add languages to my R520m. I see a lot of flashing/unlocking
    > dongles for sale from $70 up to $300. Does anyone know if this is what I
    > need? Looks like they come with dongle, cable, and software CD.
    >
    > Thanks.

    It need not cost that much. On Ebay the terminator dongle, cable, and
    software sells for less than $30 incl shipping.
    For example, I got the gear to flash my R520m from
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43312&item=5703215853.
    The sellers id is cauchemar02. The software disk contains numerous
    firmware versions covering a number of languages. This vendor proved very
    good about answering questions and giving after-sale pointers. There are
    other dongle sellers on Ebay to choose from as well.
    -- Cary

    Thanks, Cary. How did it work for you? I'm concerned about messing up my
    phone.

    "Cary" <cml@wayne.edu> wrote in message
    > "David" <n4wwl@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I want to add languages to my R520m. I see a lot of flashing/unlocking
    > > dongles for sale from $70 up to $300. Does anyone know if this is what
    > > need? Looks like they come with dongle, cable, and software CD.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > It need not cost that much. On Ebay the terminator dongle, cable, and
    > software sells for less than $30 incl shipping.
    > For example, I got the gear to flash my R520m from

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43312&item=5703215853.
    > The sellers id is cauchemar02. The software disk contains numerous
    > firmware versions covering a number of languages. This vendor proved very
    > good about answering questions and giving after-sale pointers. There are
    > other dongle sellers on Ebay to choose from as well.
    > -- Cary

    David,
    It went without a hitch for me. The software CD that comes with the cable
    and terminator has quite a few language files for the R520m so you will
    probably need to contact the seller after you receive the gear for advice on
    which to use. I had to email him to ask which one of the two English
    language files he recommended for my firmware upgrade. He responded right
    away. He even puts his phone number on his ebay pages and says he'll walk
    his customers through it if they like. I found step-by-step instructions on
    www.cellular-support.com.
    The idea is to attach the terminator (dongle) to the parallel port on your
    computer. That will unlock the software so it can run. Another connector
    goes the a USB port to supply power for the flashing process. It is
    important that the SIM be removed and the phone turned OFF during the
    flashing procedure.
    This gives you some idea. I had never flashed a phone before and it worked
    fine. Let me know what you decide and how it goes. .
    -- Cary

    ---------------------
    -------------------
    > Thanks, Cary. How did it work for you? I'm concerned about messing up my
    > phone.
    >
    > "Cary" <cml@wayne.edu> wrote in message
    > > "David" <n4wwl@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I want to add languages to my R520m. I see a lot of
    flashing/unlocking
    > > > dongles for sale from $70 up to $300. Does anyone know if this is
    what
    > > > need? Looks like they come with dongle, cable, and software CD.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > It need not cost that much. On Ebay the terminator dongle, cable, and
    > > software sells for less than $30 incl shipping.
    > > For example, I got the gear to flash my R520m from

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43312&item=5703215853.
    > > The sellers id is cauchemar02. The software disk contains numerous
    > > firmware versions covering a number of languages. This vendor proved
    very
    > > good about answering questions and giving after-sale pointers. There
    are
    > > other dongle sellers on Ebay to choose from as well.
    > > -- Cary

    Cary -- thanks. I went and ordered one from cauchemar02 on ebay. I'll see
    how it goes after I receive it. I'll also check out the site you recommend.

    Thanks again.

    "Cary" <cary@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > David,
    > It went without a hitch for me. The software CD that comes with the cable
    > and terminator has quite a few language files for the R520m so you will
    > probably need to contact the seller after you receive the gear for advice
    on
    > which to use. I had to email him to ask which one of the two English
    > language files he recommended for my firmware upgrade. He responded
    right
    > away. He even puts his phone number on his ebay pages and says he'll walk
    > his customers through it if they like. I found step-by-step instructions
    on
    > www.cellular-support.com.
    > The idea is to attach the terminator (dongle) to the parallel port on your
    > computer. That will unlock the software so it can run. Another connector
    > goes the a USB port to supply power for the flashing process. It is
    > important that the SIM be removed and the phone turned OFF during the
    > flashing procedure.
    > This gives you some idea. I had never flashed a phone before and it
    worked
    > fine. Let me know what you decide and how it goes. .
    > -- Cary
    >
    > ---------------------
    > -------------------
    > "David" <n4wwl@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks, Cary. How did it work for you? I'm concerned about messing up
    my
    > > phone.
    > >
    > > "Cary" <cml@wayne.edu> wrote in message
    > > > "David" <n4wwl@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > flashing/unlocking
    > what

    > > > It need not cost that much. On Ebay the terminator dongle, cable, and
    > > > software sells for less than $30 incl shipping.
    > > > For example, I got the gear to flash my R520m from

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43312&item=5703215853.
    > > > The sellers id is cauchemar02. The software disk contains numerous
    > > > firmware versions covering a number of languages. This vendor proved
    > very
    > > > good about answering questions and giving after-sale pointers. There
    > are
    > > > other dongle sellers on Ebay to choose from as well.
    > > > -- Cary

    Good luck with it, David, Btw, I should clarify something. Although the
    phone needs to be turned off during flashing, the phone still needs to have
    a fully-charged battery in place during the process.. That's all I can
    think of right now.
    -- Cary.

    > Cary -- thanks. I went and ordered one from cauchemar02 on ebay. I'll
    see
    > how it goes after I receive it. I'll also check out the site you
    recommend.

    > Thanks again.
    >
    > "Cary" <cary@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > David,
    > > It went without a hitch for me. The software CD that comes with the
    cable
    > > and terminator has quite a few language files for the R520m so you will
    > > probably need to contact the seller after you receive the gear for
    advice
    > on
    > > which to use. I had to email him to ask which one of the two English
    > > language files he recommended for my firmware upgrade. He responded
    > right
    > > away. He even puts his phone number on his ebay pages and says he'll
    walk
    > > his customers through it if they like. I found step-by-step
    instructions
    > on
    > > www.cellular-support.com.
    > > The idea is to attach the terminator (dongle) to the parallel port on
    your
    > > computer. That will unlock the software so it can run. Another
    connector
    > > goes the a USB port to supply power for the flashing process. It is
    > > important that the SIM be removed and the phone turned OFF during the
    > > flashing procedure.
    > > This gives you some idea. I had never flashed a phone before and it
    > worked
    > > fine. Let me know what you decide and how it goes. .
    > > -- Cary
    > >
    > > ---------------------
    > > -------------------
    > > "David" <n4wwl@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks, Cary. How did it work for you? I'm concerned about messing
    up
    > my
    > > > phone.
    > > >
    > > > "Cary" <cml@wayne.edu> wrote in message