SubWoofer Setup

I'm using two mono blocks running one pair of speakers and this is
connected to a cdp. The mono blocks have volume controls so there is
no need for a pre amp. I want to add a sub woofer and would like some
advice on connecting it to this setup. Thank you...
4 answers Last reply
More about subwoofer setup

    In article <jd38u0t549n66bi8kd5ib98r4drkhp1bpi@4ax.com>, soiniie@hotmailll.com
    says...

    >I'm using two mono blocks running one pair of speakers and this is
    >connected to a cdp. The mono blocks have volume controls so there is
    >no need for a pre amp. I want to add a sub woofer and would like some
    >advice on connecting it to this setup. Thank you...

    If you get a passive sub, then you would just run the speaker wires to the
    sub and then from the sub to your current speakers. I can't think of a way
    to run a powered sub without also adding a pre-amp.
    --------------
    Alex

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 17:32:53 GMT, soinie <soiniie@hotmailll.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm using two mono blocks running one pair of speakers and this is
    >connected to a cdp. The mono blocks have volume controls so there is
    >no need for a pre amp. I want to add a sub woofer and would like some
    >advice on connecting it to this setup. Thank you...

    Are you using separate amps for some sort of audiophile purist
    reasons, or because that's what you happened to have lying around?
    Once you add a sub bass unit, any idea of accuracy generally flies out
    the window, so you might as well add a preamp so at least you can
    control it properly :-)

    Alex Rodriguez wrote:

    > In article <jd38u0t549n66bi8kd5ib98r4drkhp1bpi@4ax.com>, soiniie@hotmailll.com
    > says...
    >
    > >I'm using two mono blocks running one pair of speakers and this is
    > >connected to a cdp. The mono blocks have volume controls so there is
    > >no need for a pre amp. I want to add a sub woofer and would like some
    > >advice on connecting it to this setup. Thank you...
    >
    > If you get a passive sub, then you would just run the speaker wires to the
    > sub and then from the sub to your current speakers. I can't think of a way
    > to run a powered sub without also adding a pre-amp.

    Several higher quality subs (e.g., REL) have high impedance
    speaker level inputs on them. You simply connect the speaker
    level inputs on the Sub to the speaker output terminals of the
    amps (i.e., in parallel with your speakers). You then can adjust
    the level and low-pass crossover points on the sub to properly
    blend with the main speakers.

    - Jeff

    soinie <soiniie@hotmailll.com> wrote:
    > I'm using two mono blocks running one pair of speakers and this is
    > connected to a cdp. The mono blocks have volume controls so there is
    > no need for a pre amp. I want to add a sub woofer and would like some
    > advice on connecting it to this setup. Thank you...

    I see 3 possibilities:

    1 - connect the subwoofer between the amplifiers and the existing
    speakers. Most subwoofers have that possibility (speaker level
    inputs).

    2 - use a Behringer DCX-2496 Ultra-Drive Pro to split the low
    frequencies to the subwoofer. It will be easier if you chose
    a subwoofer with two line inputs but most subwoofers have that.

    Specs:
    http://media.samedaymusic.com/media/SPECS_DCX2496_ENG_Rev_A-cea40ee78b9ce94d9112a2ed78c46ea6.pdf

    Manual:
    http://media.samedaymusic.com/media/DCX2496_ENG_Rev_A-94272cfece1f52524b3b06fe70b6009d.pdf

    3 - More simply, you can buy a universal player (DVD-Audio, SACD)
    (for instance the Pioneer DV-575A in Europe or the DV-578 in
    the US) which will split the low frequencies to the subwoofer
    and connect to your existing amplifiers.

    --
    http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

    ..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
    Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94

Speakers Audio