Harmony 880 / HiDef Tivo: any discrete code for 1080i vs 4..

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
July 19, 2005 1:10:48 AM

Pressing the 'up arrow' button (don't think that's the right terminology,
but you guys will know what I mean) toggles Tivo between 1080i and 480i. I
always watch Tivo in HDTV format, through my Denon AVR-5800 receiver.
However, other member of my household prefer to simply watch television,
don't care about HDTV, and don't want the sound coming through the receiver.
If I am watching TV and turn off everything without remembering to switch to
480i, and if the next TV watcher executes the sequence to "Watch TV" (which
is my low end, no sound system option), everything works, but no picture is
visible because the Tivo is set for 1080i. The solution is to program my
"Watch TV" with 480i, and my "Watch Tivo" with 1080i. I cannot find a
discrete code for 480i and another for 1080i. Does anyone know if these
codes exist?
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:07:08 AM

Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> I cannot find a
> discrete code for 480i and another for 1080i. Does anyone know if these
> codes exist?

No, it does not.

Hopefully, the next software revision will solve your problem, as it is
supposed to have a "native" output option.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Peanuts/TenPin.gif
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 1:23:50 PM

>Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> I cannot find a
>> discrete code for 480i and another for 1080i. Does anyone know if these
>> codes exist?
>
> No, it does not.
>
> Hopefully, the next software revision will solve your problem, as it is
> supposed to have a "native" output option.
>
> --
> Jeff Rife |
> | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Peanuts/TenPin.gif

I had the "other member of the household" problem!

The reason for her objection was the complexity of using the receiver to
control the sound. The harmony fixed that problem - "watch TV" uses the
receiver for sound, but my wife doesn't need to know, her eyes glaze over if
I try to explain it! There is no sound going to the TV at all from any
device, everything goes through the receiver but no one cares how it is
hooked up as the Harmony makes everything seamless.

What is the objection to using the receiver? There are a few things I can
think of - is the sound quality OK (do you have a center channel speaker for
example, is the bass to heavy or the volume too loud), is there a problem
with the location of the receiver (do you need to point the remote away from
the TV to change volume), is there an extra step required to use the
receiver (something that the Harmony doesn't do, or do reliably).
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:01:22 PM

Fred Bloggs (SPAM@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> I had the "other member of the household" problem!
>
> The reason for her objection was the complexity of using the receiver to
> control the sound. The harmony fixed that problem - "watch TV" uses the
> receiver for sound, but my wife doesn't need to know, her eyes glaze over if
> I try to explain it!

Yeah, I have a Sony RM-AV3100 that does the same thing (although I have to
do the programming manually), and my wife just presses the "STB" button to
get the HD DirecTiVo ready to watch, and similar things with everything
else.

Since I have a component video switcher plus the A/V receiver (which also has
two component inputs), watching anything is pretty complex (at least 3
pieces of equipment have to be set correctly), but it's all trivial with
the Sony (or the Harmony, which I have for the bedroom).

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/Sins.jpg
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:03:15 PM

"Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
>>Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>>> I cannot find a
>>> discrete code for 480i and another for 1080i. Does anyone know if these
>>> codes exist?
>>
>> No, it does not.
>>
>> Hopefully, the next software revision will solve your problem, as it is
>> supposed to have a "native" output option.
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Rife |
>> | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Peanuts/TenPin.gif
>
> I had the "other member of the household" problem!
>
> The reason for her objection was the complexity of using the receiver to
> control the sound. The harmony fixed that problem - "watch TV" uses the
> receiver for sound, but my wife doesn't need to know, her eyes glaze over
> if I try to explain it! There is no sound going to the TV at all from any
> device, everything goes through the receiver but no one cares how it is
> hooked up as the Harmony makes everything seamless.
>
> What is the objection to using the receiver? There are a few things I can
> think of - is the sound quality OK (do you have a center channel speaker
> for example, is the bass to heavy or the volume too loud), is there a
> problem with the location of the receiver (do you need to point the remote
> away from the TV to change volume), is there an extra step required to use
> the receiver (something that the Harmony doesn't do, or do reliably).

The objecting person just wants to watch TV, period. I have a find surround
system with DD5.1, lots of speakers, great sound. I spent several thousand
dollars on the Denon AVR-5800. She is simply not interested, nor is she
interested in HDTV. She doesn't care whether the picture or sound are
better. As I may have stated previously, she simply want to watch TV. That's
all.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:03:16 PM

"Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> No, it does not.
>>>
>>> Hopefully, the next software revision will solve your problem, as it is
>>> supposed to have a "native" output option.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jeff Rife |
>>
>> I had the "other member of the household" problem!
>>
>> The reason for her objection was the complexity of using the receiver to
>> control the sound. The harmony fixed that problem - "watch TV" uses the
>> receiver for sound, but my wife doesn't need to know, her eyes glaze over
>> if I try to explain it! There is no sound going to the TV at all from
>> any device, everything goes through the receiver but no one cares how it
>> is hooked up as the Harmony makes everything seamless.
>>
>> What is the objection to using the receiver? There are a few things I can
>> think of - is the sound quality OK (do you have a center channel speaker
>> for example, is the bass to heavy or the volume too loud), is there a
>> problem with the location of the receiver (do you need to point the
>> remote away from the TV to change volume), is there an extra step
>> required to use the receiver (something that the Harmony doesn't do, or
>> do reliably).
>
> The objecting person just wants to watch TV, period. I have a find
> surround system with DD5.1, lots of speakers, great sound. I spent several
> thousand dollars on the Denon AVR-5800. She is simply not interested, nor
> is she interested in HDTV. She doesn't care whether the picture or sound
> are better. As I may have stated previously, she simply want to watch TV.
> That's all.

That's my point - don't give her the option - press the watch TV button and
let the Harmony take care of the rest. My wife has the same requirements,
she just wants to watch TV. Set up the Harmony so that the watch TV button
uses the receiver for the sound and leave the TiVo in 1080i mode. As long
as all she needs to do is to press one button to turn the whole system on or
off, the volume buttons change the volume and the channel buttons change the
channel she will be happy - just don't tell her that she is using a state of
the art A/V system and make sure that there are no quirks in the Harmony set
up.

In my case we had a fairly good but old multifunction remote. Watching TV
required many clicks (or an unlabeled macro) and then the remote had to be
in the correct mode to control the various components and there was one
thing on every component that the remote could not handle, so we had lots of
remotes littered around the house! My wife did not want to know that the
TiVo controlled the tuning, the receiver the sound and all the TV had was
the picture, but if she wanted the TV could control the sound if it was set
to a certain input, but even then the TV remote could not control the
channel ............... When I set up the Harmony, I eliminated all of the
choices - all any one needs to do is press watch TV. The rest of the remotes
are hidden in a drawer and rarely see the light of day, it is impossible to
use the TV in stand alone mode and only an advanced Harmony user would know
how to attempt it - even my TV does not have an obvious off/on switch.

There are a few channels that look better on 480i (BBC America and some
channels that have widescreen SD picture for example), but no one else
really seems to notice or care and I just switch the resolution
appropriately when I am watching.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 11:57:16 PM

Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> As I may have stated previously, she simply want to watch TV. That's
> all.

Again, with a macro-capable remote, that's what she will be doing. Only
if she actively doesn't want the receiver to be a part of the equation
would there be a problem. If that's the case, then you have an issue that
no remote will solve.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/DoomedProject.jpg
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:44:25 AM

> That's my point - don't give her the option - press the watch TV button
> and let the Harmony take care of the rest. My wife has the same
> requirements, she just wants to watch TV. Set up the Harmony so that the
> watch TV button uses the receiver for the sound and leave the TiVo in
> 1080i mode. As long as all she needs to do is to press one button to turn
> the whole system on or off, the volume buttons change the volume and the
> channel buttons change the channel she will be happy - just don't tell her
> that she is using a state of the art A/V system and make sure that there
> are no quirks in the Harmony set up.

On my TV, a Sony KP-61HS10, my HiDef Tivo must be connected to Video5 in
order to get 1080i reception. In order to simply watch TV, with no other
components involved, one must set the Tivo to 480i and use Video1. According
to Mr. Rife, the resident expert in this venue, there is no discrete code
for 1080i vs 480i. If I forget to set the Tivo to 480i when I am done
watching,. the Harmony's "Watch TV" sequence, which turns on the TV and
makes sure every other component is turned off, will have the TV displaying
nothing, because it cannot display 1080i on Video1. I do my 1080i/480p
switching (on Video5) through my receiver. Evidently, the only solution is
for me to remember to set the TV to 480i when I am done watching.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:47:18 AM

>Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> As I may have stated previously, she simply want to watch TV.
>> That's
>> all.
>
> Again, with a macro-capable remote, that's what she will be doing. Only
> if she actively doesn't want the receiver to be a part of the equation
> would there be a problem. If that's the case, then you have an issue that
> no remote will solve.

You have clearly identified my issue, but the lack of a solution results
only from the absence of a discrete code for 480i. Thus far, the person
"Watching TV" would have to press the Tivo's up arrow button to switch to
480i, or I would have to remember to do it when I finish watching TV. I was
simply trying to automate the 1080i/480i step.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:49:08 AM

> On my TV, a Sony KP-61HS10, my HiDef Tivo must be connected to Video5 in
> order to get 1080i reception. In order to simply watch TV, with no other
> components involved, one must set the Tivo to 480i and use Video1. According
> to Mr. Rife, the resident expert in this venue, there is no discrete code
> for 1080i vs 480i. If I forget to set the Tivo to 480i when I am done
> watching,. the Harmony's "Watch TV" sequence, which turns on the TV and
> makes sure every other component is turned off, will have the TV displaying
> nothing, because it cannot display 1080i on Video1. I do my 1080i/480p
> switching (on Video5) through my receiver. Evidently, the only solution is
> for me to remember to set the TV to 480i when I am done watching.

I don't think you're getting what the other poster's have been saying.
Why can't others watch TV just as you do? I know at least one poster
asked why the other people didn't want to watch TV with the sound
through the receiver, but you didn't answer that question. If it's
because it's too complex, then just make sure that it's a one button
operation on the remote (my fiancee wouldn't touch the living room TV
until I made that possible, now she's happy). If you remove the
complexity, where's the problem? And if they're watching the TV the
same way you are, why can't they watch it at 1080i, just like you do?

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 3:55:25 AM

>>> As I may have stated previously, she simply want to watch TV.
>>>That's
>>>all.
>>
>>Again, with a macro-capable remote, that's what she will be doing. Only
>>if she actively doesn't want the receiver to be a part of the equation
>>would there be a problem. If that's the case, then you have an issue that
>>no remote will solve.
>

> You have clearly identified my issue, but the lack of a solution results
> only from the absence of a discrete code for 480i. Thus far, the person
> "Watching TV" would have to press the Tivo's up arrow button to switch to
> 480i, or I would have to remember to do it when I finish watching TV. I was
> simply trying to automate the 1080i/480i step.

Well, he may have been clear, but I'm afraid you're being less so. Are
you saying she actively does not want to use the receiver, as in, even
if it took no effort or understanding for her to use it, she still
wouldn't want to use it? Or are you saying she doesn't want to use it
because it's too complex?

If the former, what reason is she giving? The problem here is that none
of us can think of any reasonable reason other than the latter reason
above (i.e. too complex). However, note that we all (within this
thread) have Y chromosomes that prevent us from ever fully understanding
those without ;-).

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:43:09 AM

"Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D bkhve$tjk$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...

>>>Again, with a macro-capable remote, that's what she will be doing. Only
>>>if she actively doesn't want the receiver to be a part of the equation
>>>would there be a problem. If that's the case, then you have an issue
>>>that
>>>no remote will solve.
>>

>> You have clearly identified my issue, but the lack of a solution results
>> only from the absence of a discrete code for 480i. Thus far, the person
>> "Watching TV" would have to press the Tivo's up arrow button to switch to
>> 480i, or I would have to remember to do it when I finish watching TV. I
>> was simply trying to automate the 1080i/480i step.
>
> Well, he may have been clear, but I'm afraid you're being less so. Are
> you saying she actively does not want to use the receiver, as in, even if
> it took no effort or understanding for her to use it, she still wouldn't
> want to use it? Or are you saying she doesn't want to use it because it's
> too complex?
>
> If the former, what reason is she giving? The problem here is that none
> of us can think of any reasonable reason other than the latter reason
> above (i.e. too complex). However, note that we all (within this thread)
> have Y chromosomes that prevent us from ever fully understanding those
> without ;-).

She doesn't want to use the receiver, just the TV. It is just personal
preference, nothing more. This is not a complex issue, it is a simple one.
There is nothing to analyze or ponder. Call it personal preference. This is
her's :)
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:45:05 PM

Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > Again, with a macro-capable remote, that's what she will be doing. Only
> > if she actively doesn't want the receiver to be a part of the equation
> > would there be a problem. If that's the case, then you have an issue that
> > no remote will solve.
>
> You have clearly identified my issue, but the lack of a solution results
> only from the absence of a discrete code for 480i.

No, there will be no permanent solution as long as she has taken the stand
that the receiver is "evil" and must not be used. At some point in the
near future, it will be impossible for her to "watch TV" because she has
artificially decided that something essential to the process is "evil".

--
Jeff Rife | Sam: How's life treatin' you, Norm?

| Norm: Well, Sammy, it's not...so I sure
| hope you are.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:45:06 PM

>Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> > Again, with a macro-capable remote, that's what she will be doing.
>> > Only
>> > if she actively doesn't want the receiver to be a part of the equation
>> > would there be a problem. If that's the case, then you have an issue
>> > that
>> > no remote will solve.
>>
>> You have clearly identified my issue, but the lack of a solution results
>> only from the absence of a discrete code for 480i.
>
> No, there will be no permanent solution as long as she has taken the stand
> that the receiver is "evil" and must not be used. At some point in the
> near future, it will be impossible for her to "watch TV" because she has
> artificially decided that something essential to the process is "evil".
>
> --
> Jeff Rife | Sam: How's life treatin' you, Norm?
> |
> | Norm: Well, Sammy, it's not...so I sure
> | hope you are.

This sounds like a relationship problem!

Be a man, you can do it - this is a fight you must win - what can be more
important than watching TV in HiDef. Ignore your wife's complaints, refuse
to do the dishes or vacuum the floor unless she watches in HD and set up the
Harmony so that it always uses 1080i and the A/V receiver. Your wife will
complain and deprive you of your conjuncals for a couple of months, but in
the end she'll thank you for it and think that you are a stud for standing
up for what is right. It is the American way, a mans gotta do what a mans
gotta do, live free, walk tall, motherhood, apple pie and HDTV.

If she doesn't come around, try eHarmony.com, which is a website set up to
help harmony remote users who's marriage has been torn asunder by A/V
disputes...... Clearly this is common problem, or Harmony would not have
seen the opportunity to get into the dating business.

Dr. Fill.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 2:47:45 PM

Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> On my TV, a Sony KP-61HS10, my HiDef Tivo must be connected to Video5 in
> order to get 1080i reception. In order to simply watch TV, with no other
> components involved, one must set the Tivo to 480i and use Video1.

So, why exactly is the receiver required to listen to sound when you choose
"1080i" but it isn't when you choose "480i"? Maybe making it not required
when you choose 1080i is the real solution. You seem to be smart enough
to use the receiver when you want to, but this way you could let your wife
"just watch TV" even though it is 1080i.

Of course, she might just say that 1080i is "evil" just like the receiver.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Peanuts/TenPin.gif
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:57:13 PM

> If she doesn't come around, try eHarmony.com, which is a website set up to
> help harmony remote users who's marriage has been torn asunder by A/V
> disputes...... Clearly this is common problem, or Harmony would not have
> seen the opportunity to get into the dating business.
>
> Dr. Fill.

If that doesn't work, fill out the dating profile on the same site.
Just make sure to include "must be willing to use and watch HDTV w/
surround sound" in your requirements this time.

;-)

Randy S.
July 20, 2005 8:18:10 PM

* Z Man Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

> On my TV, a Sony KP-61HS10, my HiDef Tivo must be connected to
> Video5 in order to get 1080i reception. In order to simply watch
> TV, with no other components involved, one must set the Tivo to
> 480i and use Video1. According to Mr. Rife, the resident expert in
> this venue, there is no discrete code for 1080i vs 480i. If I
> forget to set the Tivo to 480i when I am done watching,. the
> Harmony's "Watch TV" sequence, which turns on the TV and makes
> sure every other component is turned off, will have the TV
> displaying nothing, because it cannot display 1080i on Video1. I
> do my 1080i/480p switching (on Video5) through my receiver.
> Evidently, the only solution is for me to remember to set the TV
> to 480i when I am done watching.

Why cant you create ANOTHER activty called "Wife TV" and set the
components up they way she likes them in THAT activity?

--
David
Anonymous

I think "The Stepford Wives" would be the appropriate DVD for the receiver
training - LOL

> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You have clearly identified my issue, but the lack of a solution results
>>> only from the absence of a discrete code for 480i.
>>
>> No, there will be no permanent solution as long as she has taken the
>> stand
>> that the receiver is "evil" and must not be used. At some point in the
>> near future, it will be impossible for her to "watch TV" because she has
>> artificially decided that something essential to the process is "evil".
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Rife | Sam: How's life treatin' you, Norm?
>> |
>> | Norm: Well, Sammy, it's not...so I sure
>> | hope you are.
>
> This sounds like a relationship problem!
>
> Be a man, you can do it - this is a fight you must win - what can be more
> important than watching TV in HiDef. Ignore your wife's complaints, refuse
> to do the dishes or vacuum the floor unless she watches in HD and set up
> the Harmony so that it always uses 1080i and the A/V receiver. Your wife
> will complain and deprive you of your conjuncals for a couple of months,
> but in the end she'll thank you for it and think that you are a stud for
> standing up for what is right. It is the American way, a mans gotta do
> what a mans gotta do, live free, walk tall, motherhood, apple pie and
> HDTV.
>
> If she doesn't come around, try eHarmony.com, which is a website set up to
> help harmony remote users who's marriage has been torn asunder by A/V
> disputes...... Clearly this is common problem, or Harmony would not have
> seen the opportunity to get into the dating business.
>
> Dr. Fill.

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:58:26 PM

Excuse for a new TV??

> "Fred Bloggs" <SPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> That's my point - don't give her the option - press the watch TV button
>> and let the Harmony take care of the rest. My wife has the same
>> requirements, she just wants to watch TV. Set up the Harmony so that the
>> watch TV button uses the receiver for the sound and leave the TiVo in
>> 1080i mode. As long as all she needs to do is to press one button to turn
>> the whole system on or off, the volume buttons change the volume and the
>> channel buttons change the channel she will be happy - just don't tell
>> her that she is using a state of the art A/V system and make sure that
>> there are no quirks in the Harmony set up.
>
> On my TV, a Sony KP-61HS10, my HiDef Tivo must be connected to Video5 in
> order to get 1080i reception. In order to simply watch TV, with no other
> components involved, one must set the Tivo to 480i and use Video1.
> According to Mr. Rife, the resident expert in this venue, there is no
> discrete code for 1080i vs 480i. If I forget to set the Tivo to 480i when
> I am done watching,. the Harmony's "Watch TV" sequence, which turns on the
> TV and makes sure every other component is turned off, will have the TV
> displaying nothing, because it cannot display 1080i on Video1. I do my
> 1080i/480p switching (on Video5) through my receiver. Evidently, the only
> solution is for me to remember to set the TV to 480i when I am done
> watching.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:56:14 AM

>Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> On my TV, a Sony KP-61HS10, my HiDef Tivo must be connected to Video5 in
>> order to get 1080i reception. In order to simply watch TV, with no other
>> components involved, one must set the Tivo to 480i and use Video1.
>
> So, why exactly is the receiver required to listen to sound when you
> choose
> "1080i" but it isn't when you choose "480i"? Maybe making it not required
> when you choose 1080i is the real solution. You seem to be smart enough
> to use the receiver when you want to, but this way you could let your wife
> "just watch TV" even though it is 1080i.

What makes you think it's my wife? I just said another person in my
household. You aren't biased against wife's are you =) I thought you just
didn't like people who don't like receivers...
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:58:14 AM

"SINNER" <arcade.master@googlemail.net> wrote in message
>* Z Man Wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>> On my TV, a Sony KP-61HS10, my HiDef Tivo must be connected to
>> Video5 in order to get 1080i reception. In order to simply watch
>> TV, with no other components involved, one must set the Tivo to
>> 480i and use Video1. According to Mr. Rife, the resident expert in
>> this venue, there is no discrete code for 1080i vs 480i. If I
>> forget to set the Tivo to 480i when I am done watching,. the
>> Harmony's "Watch TV" sequence, which turns on the TV and makes
>> sure every other component is turned off, will have the TV
>> displaying nothing, because it cannot display 1080i on Video1. I
>> do my 1080i/480p switching (on Video5) through my receiver.
>> Evidently, the only solution is for me to remember to set the TV
>> to 480i when I am done watching.
>
> Why cant you create ANOTHER activty called "Wife TV" and set the
> components up they way she likes them in THAT activity?

You missed the beginning of the thread. I already have a setting for "Watch
TV" that utilizes only the TV. I was looking for a discrete code for 480i
vs. 1080i. See how these discussion go off topic soooo easily ?? If this was
a moderated group, we would all be in a heap of trouble.
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:02:04 PM

Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> What makes you think it's my wife? I just said another person in my
> household.

You said "she", and if it isn't your wife, then you'd be able to impose
some "royal decrees" and not have to worry about her not liking to use the
receiver.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/NoWetFood...
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 3:02:05 PM

Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> writes:

> Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > What makes you think it's my wife? I just said another person in my
> > household.
>
> You said "she", and if it isn't your wife, then you'd be able to impose
> some "royal decrees" and not have to worry about her not liking to use the
> receiver.

Unless it's the mother-in-law... :)

--
Richard W Kaszeta
rich@kaszeta.org

Richard Kaszeta (rich@kaszeta.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > You said "she", and if it isn't your wife, then you'd be able to impose
> > some "royal decrees" and not have to worry about her not liking to use the
> > receiver.
>
> Unless it's the mother-in-law... :)

True, but if that's the case, the remote/TV/stereo is the least of his
problems.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/InstallVirus.gif
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 3:37:10 AM

> Richard Kaszeta (rich@kaszeta.org) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>> > You said "she", and if it isn't your wife, then you'd be able to impose
>> > some "royal decrees" and not have to worry about her not liking to use
>> > the
>> > receiver.
>>
>> Unless it's the mother-in-law... :)
>
> True, but if that's the case, the remote/TV/stereo is the least of his
> problems.

You guys are being very mean :)
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 1:51:34 PM

Who said we are all guys? There could be some women using guys names as a
cover ...........
"Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o PZDe.3845$Qy1.3457@fe09.lga...

> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Unless it's the mother-in-law... :)
>>
>> True, but if that's the case, the remote/TV/stereo is the least of his
>> problems.
>
> You guys are being very mean :)

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 6:13:06 PM

Z Man (z1z@hotmail.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> >> Unless it's the mother-in-law... :)
> >
> > True, but if that's the case, the remote/TV/stereo is the least of his
> > problems.
>
> You guys are being very mean :)

We might just know your situation from experience, and are merely sharing
our pain.

Seriously, my wife would not deal with multiple remotes, but once I set
it up so that one button picked a "task" (like watching the TiVo, or
listening to CDs, or watching DVDs), she has no problems with it. She
doesn't care *how* it works, as long as it does.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Dilbert/LoveRanking.jpg
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:00:02 PM

>> > True, but if that's the case, the remote/TV/stereo is the least of his
>> > problems.
>>
>> You guys are being very mean :)
>
> We might just know your situation from experience, and are merely sharing
> our pain.
>
> Seriously, my wife would not deal with multiple remotes, but once I set
> it up so that one button picked a "task" (like watching the TiVo, or
> listening to CDs, or watching DVDs), she has no problems with it. She
> doesn't care *how* it works, as long as it does.

That's exactly what I was trying to do, but the lack of a discrete 480i code
was a problem. Since I started this discussion, I seemed to have trained
myself to press the up arrow, setting the Tivo back to 480i, when I am done
watching TV. However, another 'discrete code' issue has come up. After SHE
finishes watching TV, she leaves the TV set volume up. Thus, when I want to
watch, I have to first "Watch TV", reduce the volume to nil, then "Watch
Tivo". I could use a discrete code to set the volume to zero. I cannot find
such a code, which I certainly don't find surprising. Mute doesn't help,
since the work 'Mute' appears on the TV screen. On the plus side of things,
at least with the Harmony 880 I need use only one remote. As you may have
surmised, SHE also uses only one remote, but for her, it is the remote that
came with the Tivo :)  Thus, jointly, I am still keeping two remotes in
service. Clear?
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 10:00:03 PM

> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message

>>> You guys are being very mean :)
>>
>> We might just know your situation from experience, and are merely sharing
>> our pain.
>>
>> Seriously, my wife would not deal with multiple remotes, but once I set
>> it up so that one button picked a "task" (like watching the TiVo, or
>> listening to CDs, or watching DVDs), she has no problems with it. She
>> doesn't care *how* it works, as long as it does.
>
> That's exactly what I was trying to do, but the lack of a discrete 480i
> code was a problem. Since I started this discussion, I seemed to have
> trained myself to press the up arrow, setting the Tivo back to 480i, when
> I am done watching TV. However, another 'discrete code' issue has come up.
> After SHE finishes watching TV, she leaves the TV set volume up. Thus,
> when I want to watch, I have to first "Watch TV", reduce the volume to
> nil, then "Watch Tivo". I could use a discrete code to set the volume to
> zero. I cannot find such a code, which I certainly don't find surprising.
> Mute doesn't help, since the work 'Mute' appears on the TV screen. On the
> plus side of things, at least with the Harmony 880 I need use only one
> remote. As you may have surmised, SHE also uses only one remote, but for
> her, it is the remote that came with the Tivo :)  Thus, jointly, I am still
> keeping two remotes in service. Clear?

So there is your problem in a nutshell!

Reprogram the Harmony to make Watch TV the same as Watch TiVo and remove
Watch TiVo from the menu.

Now, take the TiVo remote to the kitchen, put it in the oven and run the
clean cycle. (or you can use the blender, the dishwasher, the car or the
dog to achieve the same end result).

Now, SHE will need to use the Harmony and get to enjoy 1080i and surround
sound.

Seriously, for the Harmony to work well, it is important for it to be the
only remote, otherwise it can get confused.
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 11:52:57 PM

> Seriously, for the Harmony to work well, it is important for it to be the
> only remote, otherwise it can get confused.

That point should be reemphasized!

For non-discrete codes the Harmony remote attempts to keep track of your
system's state by remembering which keys were pressed before. It will
assume that your system's state is where it was when the harmony remote
was used last. It has no way of knowing if another remote has been used
to change any settings, or if you changed something manually (like
turning off a component with it's own power switch). Doing anything
like that will get the Harmony out of sync (unless you are incredibly
lucky and have a discrete code for *everything, which is highly unlikely).

The solution is to use the Harmony for *everything*. Toss all your
other remotes in a box somewhere, and don't tell anyone else where they
are. If you can do that, you shouldn't *need* a discrete code for 480i
or 1080i or anything else, though it is nicer if you do.

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:56:40 AM

>For non-discrete codes the Harmony remote attempts to keep track of your
>system's state by remembering which keys were pressed before. It will
>assume that your system's state is where it was when the harmony remote
>was used last. It has no way of knowing if another remote has been used
>to change any settings, or if you changed something manually (like
>turning off a component with it's own power switch). Doing anything
>like that will get the Harmony out of sync (unless you are incredibly
>lucky and have a discrete code for *everything, which is highly unlikely).

A remote will also get out of sync if a device doesn't respond to
the code that was sent. This can happen if, for example, you point
the remote at the approximate center of a whole wall full of
electronic stuff, but one of the devices doesn't see the command
it was supposed to get for any number of excuses: your butt was
covering the whole remote, while at the same time instructing it
to send commands, the remote was pointed in a slightly wrong
direction, your mother-in-law was blocking the infrared, the remote
battery is getting a little weak, something (like another remote
for a completely different device being sat on by the kid, or perhaps
direct sunlight) is jamming the signal, etc. I have also run into
problems where a device is slow and won't respond to another (manual)
command immediately after a previous one.

>The solution is to use the Harmony for *everything*. Toss all your
>other remotes in a box somewhere, and don't tell anyone else where they
>are. If you can do that, you shouldn't *need* a discrete code for 480i
>or 1080i or anything else, though it is nicer if you do.

The more discrete codes you can use, the more likely it will sync
back up after a command gets missed.

Gordon L. Burditt
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:41:26 AM

> A remote will also get out of sync if a device doesn't respond to
> the code that was sent. This can happen if, for example, you point
> the remote at the approximate center of a whole wall full of
> electronic stuff, but one of the devices doesn't see the command
> it was supposed to get for any number of excuses: your butt was
> covering the whole remote, while at the same time instructing it
> to send commands, the remote was pointed in a slightly wrong
> direction, your mother-in-law was blocking the infrared, the remote
> battery is getting a little weak, something (like another remote
> for a completely different device being sat on by the kid, or perhaps
> direct sunlight) is jamming the signal, etc. I have also run into
> problems where a device is slow and won't respond to another (manual)
> command immediately after a previous one.

Right, I didn't mean to imply that using other remotes was the *only*
way that a Harmony remote could get out of sync. But in this instance,
I think that it's specifically applicable, since others in his house are
using other remotes.

Randy S.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:52:45 PM

> "Z Man" <z1z@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message

>>> We might just know your situation from experience, and are merely
>>> sharing
>>> our pain.
>>>
>>> Seriously, my wife would not deal with multiple remotes, but once I set
>>> it up so that one button picked a "task" (like watching the TiVo, or
>>> listening to CDs, or watching DVDs), she has no problems with it. She
>>> doesn't care *how* it works, as long as it does.
>>
>> That's exactly what I was trying to do, but the lack of a discrete 480i
>> code was a problem. Since I started this discussion, I seemed to have
>> trained myself to press the up arrow, setting the Tivo back to 480i, when
>> I am done watching TV. However, another 'discrete code' issue has come
>> up. After SHE finishes watching TV, she leaves the TV set volume up.
>> Thus, when I want to watch, I have to first "Watch TV", reduce the volume
>> to nil, then "Watch Tivo". I could use a discrete code to set the volume
>> to zero. I cannot find such a code, which I certainly don't find
>> surprising. Mute doesn't help, since the work 'Mute' appears on the TV
>> screen. On the plus side of things, at least with the Harmony 880 I need
>> use only one remote. As you may have surmised, SHE also uses only one
>> remote, but for her, it is the remote that came with the Tivo :)  Thus,
>> jointly, I am still keeping two remotes in service. Clear?
>>

> So there is your problem in a nutshell!
>
> Reprogram the Harmony to make Watch TV the same as Watch TiVo and remove
> Watch TiVo from the menu.
>
> Now, take the TiVo remote to the kitchen, put it in the oven and run the
> clean cycle. (or you can use the blender, the dishwasher, the car or the
> dog to achieve the same end result).
>
> Now, SHE will need to use the Harmony and get to enjoy 1080i and surround
> sound.
>
> Seriously, for the Harmony to work well, it is important for it to be the
> only remote, otherwise it can get confused.

That is actually very confusing. The Harmony is certainly not confused, it
is quite clear on all these sundry issues. It is the rest of us that are
unanimously confused.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 10:54:38 PM

"Randy S." <rswitt@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
news:D btad6$o8u$1@spnode25.nerdc.ufl.edu...
>> A remote will also get out of sync if a device doesn't respond to
>> the code that was sent. This can happen if, for example, you point
>> the remote at the approximate center of a whole wall full of
>> electronic stuff, but one of the devices doesn't see the command
>> it was supposed to get for any number of excuses: your butt was
>> covering the whole remote, while at the same time instructing it
>> to send commands, the remote was pointed in a slightly wrong
>> direction, your mother-in-law was blocking the infrared, the remote
>> battery is getting a little weak, something (like another remote
>> for a completely different device being sat on by the kid, or perhaps
>> direct sunlight) is jamming the signal, etc. I have also run into
>> problems where a device is slow and won't respond to another (manual)
>> command immediately after a previous one.
>
> Right, I didn't mean to imply that using other remotes was the *only* way
> that a Harmony remote could get out of sync. But in this instance, I
> think that it's specifically applicable, since others in his house are
> using other remotes.

Thus far everything seems to be working OK with two remotes, but if you are
correct, I am basically screwed.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:27:27 AM

>>Right, I didn't mean to imply that using other remotes was the *only* way
>>that a Harmony remote could get out of sync. But in this instance, I
>>think that it's specifically applicable, since others in his house are
>>using other remotes.
>

> Thus far everything seems to be working OK with two remotes, but if you are
> correct, I am basically screwed.

It all depends on what commands are discrete, and which are toggle.
Toggle commands can only be kept track of internally, there's no way for
your remote to know if that command had been given by another remote.
If the commonly used commands that you use are all discrete, you won't
notice a problem. But if some of them are toggle-based, then you will
have a sync problem.

Randy S.
!