BSOD Problem, Finally Asking For Help

G

I've been getting BSODs for months now, and I try to ignore them, thinking in the back of my head I'll finally get an SSD and reinstall Windows to eliminate the problem. Anyways, just recently I was sobbing over my weak GPU (6950 2GB) and was going to check my PC ratings in the W.E.I. and noticed it needed to be refreshed. I could not refresh it without getting a BSOD. This happened 3 times, so I'm asking for help.

BSODInfo2.png

BSODInfo.png

Untitled-3.png

As you can see, the 3 from 4/1/2012 are the crashes from trying to refresh W.E.I.

All the others are just random ones I get for no reason known to me. :/

The last picture is from a while ago so I just added it in.

alishathomaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
The most important Blue Screen of Death troubleshooting step you can take is to ask yourself what you just did.

1) Did you just install a new program or a piece of hardware, update a driver, install an update, etc.? If so,

there's a very good chance that the change you made caused the BSOD:
Startup using Last Known Good Configuration to undo recent registry and driver changes.
Use System Restore to undo recent system changes.
Roll Back device driver to version prior to your driver update.

2) Scan your computer for viruses. Some viruses can cause a Blue Screen of Death, especially ones that infect the master boot record (MBR) or boot sector.

3) Update drivers for your hardware. Most Blue Screens of Death are hardware or driver related so updated drivers could fix the cause of the STOP error.

4) Return hardware settings to default in Device Manager. Unless you have a specific reason to do so, the system resources that an individual piece of hardware is configured to use in Device Manager should be set to default.

Non-default hardware settings have been known to cause a Blue Screen of Death.

5) Return BIOS settings to their default levels. An overclocked or misconfigured BIOS can cause all sorts of random issues, including BSODs.

G

I have tried to roll back my system to the earliest I could at one point. It didn't work, as I still received BSOD's. As for the RAM, I did buy 2 additional sticks off of eBay and add those to my case to reach 8GBs, and I couldn't tell you if that is the problem, they have been in there for a while now.

I had also tried uninstalling hardware I deemed as new. But at this point, I'm so far into these BSODs that I have no idea what could be causing it.

I'd still like to know why the test fails to rate W.E.I. though.

As for the Hotfix my HEXiT, I couldn't seem to find any link to download anything on that Microsoft website you linked.

mathew7

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Obviously W.E.I. triggers the problem and does not finish the test. As for it needing refresh, the additional RAM is certainly one reason.
But really, download memtest86 iso, burn it and boot it. Let it run for a while (at least 1 pass, but others sugest a few hours). If no errors appear, then memory should be ok. I've had 1 error bit on every "cold" system (1st boot after half-day off) which memtest confirmed.

XmortisX

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
@xxxbobbyfinxxx dude that is Ram issue, I seen those codes more then enough times before to point at that, my second hunch is driver related either a corrupted USB or Firewire driver. Remove all hardware except what is needed to boot the system. leave one stick of ram in and run memtest and prime95 as other have stated, then put in other stick. Do you have any spare ram around? that would help determine it.

G

After I got the RAM I refeshed Windows though, and I do remember taking the two new sticks off and still getting Blue Screens.

If I get the errors with the two new sticks of ram taken out then it's clearly something else right?

twztechman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
RAM is a very likely culprit - possible that you have 2 bad sticks or a compatibility issue.

I have also experienced power supply issues causing BSD's as well. Power supplies can an do go out after working great for years. One of the best investments I ever made was getting a power supply tester. For around $15 this little gadget has saved me numerous time on troubleshooting issues.

I concur with the prior comments about the usb/firewire issue. Go into your bios and disable all functions that you are not using - like raid, firewire, network ports.

G

I have the extreme3gen3 motherboard, so if you guys can give me a heads up as to disabling those ports, that would be cool. Also, I think it's stupid how I have to disable stuff to get my computer to work as a solution. You should never have to do that. Just because I don't use it doesn't mean I should turn it off. Plus, does W.E.I. Test the USB ports? How would that crash my computer wen I go to refresh.

So many questions. Gah computers!

G

IMG_1138.jpg

Still convinced it's RAM? Just because I got it off eBay doesn't mean it's the problem.

G

So I found out that I get the BSOD when W.E.I. is on "Assembling Windows Media Decoder Performance"...

I hope that helps.

alishathomaz

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012
First of all you need to update all yor drivers and install all windows updates from
windows update and scan your computer for virusis!
And i also suggest you to run CMD as administrator and write in cmd sfc/scannow
And after that in CMD run chkdsk /f and then chkdsk /r you will need to scan it on next
reboot so press Y!

Memtest doesn't catch everything, hence why I also said to run Prime95 [which stresses the entire memory subsystem, and not just the RAM]. If, for instance, the northbridge was underpowered, Prime95 would catch it, memtest wouldn't.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT both near impossible to get without significant memory subsystem problems. Its *possible* a bad driver could cause them, but very unlikely. SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION with a parameter 1 of 0xC0000005 [STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION] is another indication that memory is somehow getting corrupted, since a 0xc0000005 EXPLICITLY means the application crashed because RAM somehow got corrupted. The three of these combined makes the memory subsystem the most likely culprit by far.