Windows 7 will not install

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiknchikn2060

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hey. I'm having a problem when installing window 7. My machine specs are: OCZ SSD Agility series 60G, Nvidia 250 GTS, and 4 Gs ram. intel Core 2 Duo 2.4, Asus P5N32E-SLI Plus motherboard, Antec 550W power supply.

I place the installation disc into the DVD drive and boot from the CD. After than, it starts the installation process. When it goes to the black screen where you will see"STARTING WINDOWS" and the windows icon, Nothing happens. It just stays there. There isn't even a logo. Just "STARTING WINDOWS". I've looked in forums to see if my components where compatible and all seems that it is compatible. Please help me out guys. :cry:

Solution
I've isntalled Win7 probably 40 times now and EVERY time I've seen this (Windows starts to load but you never get the fireflies and it just sits there) it's a RAM issue, usually when the RAM timings/voltage is off. Make sure you've got the correct voltage to your RAM and the timings are correct and it should resolve it. Windows installed correctly, but it just won't start. The only other time I've seen this is when I've unlocked cores on a 550BE and one of the cores was faulty. Obviously, that's not going to be an issue with a Core2.

If you had bad memory or it wasn't supported, you'd have blue-screen during install or it simply wouldn't have posted.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
1. Did you put this computer together yourself?

2. Suggest you create a bootable CD and download Memtest... http://www.memtest86.com/
With this program you can test to be sure your RAM is good.

NOTE: With 4 GB you need the 3.4 version, not the 3.5 version.

drksilenc

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
#1 check in your bios setting to make sure usb boot isnt on. that got me when i went to install,
2 make a bootable usb doesnt take long and its faster as long as you have a 4gb memory stick.
3 pull out all but 2g worth of ram this can also make it take forever to install
the reason you are getting stuck is io errors. basically your win7 install is lookin for hardware the mobo says is there but it really isnt

kiknchikn2060

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Thanks for all of the suggestions but I think I might have it figured out. The RAM I installed isn't supported by my mobo. Since I'm at work, I have to patiently wait until 5:00 to see if I'm correct.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
According to http://www.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=kveVJLd8DpPGYsNj&content=specifications your motherboard supports 4 x DIMM, Max. 8 GB, DDR2 800/667/533/ Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

You said the Memtest86 passed.

However, if you're using DDR3, then you do have a RAM problem and I do not understand how the Memtest could have passed.

Does the BIOS recognize the RAM?
If the BIOS doesn't recognize the RAM, then Windows won't.

dkapke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I've isntalled Win7 probably 40 times now and EVERY time I've seen this (Windows starts to load but you never get the fireflies and it just sits there) it's a RAM issue, usually when the RAM timings/voltage is off. Make sure you've got the correct voltage to your RAM and the timings are correct and it should resolve it. Windows installed correctly, but it just won't start. The only other time I've seen this is when I've unlocked cores on a 550BE and one of the cores was faulty. Obviously, that's not going to be an issue with a Core2.

If you had bad memory or it wasn't supported, you'd have blue-screen during install or it simply wouldn't have posted.

Solution

kiknchikn2060

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
First I want to thank all of you for your effort in trying to help get this issue resolved. I have figured it out. Yes it was a ram issue. The ram I had purchased was either faulty or was't supported. I put 2gigs from my older machine in and Windows 7 installed with no problem. However, when I put the OCZ ram back in I got a blue error screen every time I tried to boot it. So to make a long story short: Windows 7 installed, My machine survived my rage, and no one got hurt......Thanks guys so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.