Sound Quality of wireless speaker systems

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
January 15, 2005 1:19:11 PM

I'm having a great deal of trouble getting a straight answer to, what I
consider to be, a very simple question.

The problem is most likely my characterization of the situation so I will
try again - hoping to include all details so that I can get the answer to
the specific question:

I want to put a high quality component sound system (radio and CD) in one
room and have powered speakers in another room. I don't want to run wires.

I have seen advertisements of wireless systems that will transmit the SOUND
SIGNAL from your component system to a receiver in another room. You hook
your POWERED speakers to that receiver.

Do these wireless transmission systems degrade the sound signal
appreciably?

thanks

--
Saville

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/backstaffhome.html

Restoration of my 82 year old Herreshoff S-Boat sailboat:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/SBOATrestore.htm

Steambending FAQ with photos:

http://home.comcast.net/~saville/Steambend.htm
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 1:19:12 PM

gregg wrote:
> I'm having a great deal of trouble getting a straight answer to, what
> consider to be, a very simple question.
>
> The problem is most likely my characterization of the situation so I
will
> try again - hoping to include all details so that I can get the
answer to
> the specific question:
>
> I want to put a high quality component sound system (radio and CD)
in one
> room and have powered speakers in another room. I don't want to run
wires.

> I have seen advertisements of wireless systems that will transmit
the SOUND
> SIGNAL from your component system to a receiver in another room. You
hook
> your POWERED speakers to that receiver.
>
> Do these wireless transmission systems degrade the sound signal
> appreciably?

WHICH wireless transmission system? It's all very dependent upon
the specific units. Some may do a very good job, others may not.
It all depends upon what technology they are using and how well
they implment it. I could envision, for example, setting up a
wireless ethernet network in your house, sending uncompressed
16 bit PCM audio streams, and getting essentially NO degradation.
I could also imagine buying two cheap walkie-talkies and wiring them
in and the result would sound pretty lousy.

There is no INTRINSIC reason why wireless transmission would result
in a loss of quality. There are plenty of specific instances where
it could.

The reason you're having a hard time getting an answer is that
when you specify "these wireless transmission systems" you're not
specifying WHICH wireless transmission systems you're talking about,
so "these wireless transmission systems" could mean ANYTHING.

Interesting idea: find a dealer who sells several different kinds
and has a reasonable return policy. Buy one, try it, and if you like
the results, you're done. If not, return it, and try another.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 1:24:00 PM

"gregg" wrote ...
> I'm having a great deal of trouble getting a straight answer
> to, what I consider to be, a very simple question.

The problem is that it is NOT a "very simple question". That
is why you are having so much trouble getting a simple answer.
You don't seem to realize how generic and subjective the
question is. I would be very skeptical of any answer you get
to such a simplistic question (including my own response!)

> I want to put a high quality component sound system
> (radio and CD) in one room and have powered speakers
> in another room. I don't want to run wires.
>
> I have seen advertisements of wireless systems that will
> transmit the SOUND SIGNAL from your component system
> to a receiver in another room. You hook your POWERED
> speakers to that receiver.
>
> Do these wireless transmission systems degrade the sound
> signal appreciably?

If you really want a generic answer: Yes, wireless transmission
systems (particuarly of the kind you have likely seens ads for)
DO appreciably degrade the sound signal, particularly for a
"high-quality component system".

If you really want to put together a "high quality component sound
system" with wireless transmission to powered speakers, plan
on spending thousands of dollars just on the wireless transmitter
and receivers if you really want transparent performance.
a b F Wireless
January 15, 2005 1:39:52 PM

The answer is yes, they do degrade the sound quality appreciably. How
much degradation one can tolerate is personal.

I did see the prototypes of a new system that is SUPPOSED to be of
high quality at CES but it ain't on the market yet.

Kal

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:19:11 -0500, gregg <saville@comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm having a great deal of trouble getting a straight answer to, what I
>consider to be, a very simple question.
>
>The problem is most likely my characterization of the situation so I will
>try again - hoping to include all details so that I can get the answer to
>the specific question:
>
> I want to put a high quality component sound system (radio and CD) in one
>room and have powered speakers in another room. I don't want to run wires.
>
> I have seen advertisements of wireless systems that will transmit the SOUND
>SIGNAL from your component system to a receiver in another room. You hook
>your POWERED speakers to that receiver.
>
> Do these wireless transmission systems degrade the sound signal
>appreciably?
>
>thanks

January 15, 2005 7:25:49 PM

Richard Crowley wrote:

> "gregg" wrote ...
>> I'm having a great deal of trouble getting a straight answer
>> to, what I consider to be, a very simple question.
>
> The problem is that it is NOT a "very simple question". That
> is why you are having so much trouble getting a simple answer.

Well if the answers were like yours below I'd see what you mean. But
they've run from "get a new wife" to "if you were considering a Bose, then
you don't care about sound quality".

Not really helpful to me. But what you wrote below is just what I was
looking for . Thanks

!