Sign in with
Your question

TRIM not in Windows 7 ultimate

Last response: in Windows 7
April 2, 2012 8:12:59 AM

ummm.... apparently i tried activating TRIM with the fsutil command but the command prompt says there is no such function... btw i just installed a m4 crucial 128GB into my laptop in ahci mode without TRIm running... what should i do?

More about : trim windows ultimate

a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2012 12:33:33 PM

First verify your SSD is set up properly
Down load AS SSD, run, look in uper left for Proper driver and partition alignment.

To verify trim is enabled: From a Cmd prompt (Must right click and select Admin privilage. fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

To set: fsutil behavior set disablenotify 0.

m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2012 2:40:47 PM

i did the steps and it says the command for TRIM is invalid in command prompt... i don't know what is going on
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2012 3:09:45 PM

Regroup - May be a dumb question but, what operating system. Everyone, including myself, are taking for granted that this is a windows 7 installation. If NOT windows 7, then there is NO trim cmd.

If win 7 was installed properly, then Trim would be enabled automaticly in windows 7.
Will post back on how to verify.

Two things you can check in registry:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters", and if "EnablePrefetcher" & "EnableSuperfetch" was 0 it meant TRIM be working.

Also look at Defrag, your SSD should NOT be listed.

Added - From cmd promp started with Admin Privilage - type "fsutil /?" That should show if you have the cmd. If windows 7 and you get an error mesage then a problem with windows installation.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2012 3:21:01 PM

Hello,

Do you have AHCI enabled in the BIOS? If you are currently in IDE mode in the BIOS here's how to do the switch AHCI needs to be enabled in the BIOS to enable TRIM command:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Or if you feel like you want to do some registry editing (note this is the same fix as above).

http://www.everything-microsoft.com/2010/05/25/how-to-e...

Please read the instructions first before proceeding if you are currently in IDE mode.
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
April 2, 2012 4:18:54 PM

RetiredChief said:
Regroup - May be a dumb question but, what operating system. Everyone, including myself, are taking for granted that this is a windows 7 installation. If NOT windows 7, then there is NO trim cmd.

I sure hope the OP is using win 7 or else he's posting in the wrong group.

m
l
April 2, 2012 4:28:12 PM

everyone im using windows 7 ultimate... and i can't find the prefetch folder in the registry....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2012 4:42:30 PM

@ Hawkeye22 - Yea, My bad, didn't read the Heading close enough.

Do you have a prefetch folder in Windows directory??

For registy, start regedit and do a search for "PrefetchParameters"
m
l
!