Surround Newbie Is Confused

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
January 16, 2005 1:45:12 AM

I just bought a Yamaha YHT 5740 surround system with receiver and 7
speakers. It sounds awesome on a few DVD's...lots of great surround. I use
the Straight or Direct mode...no DSP additional processing. However, I never
get any surround effect on any stereo sources from my digital cable box. My
DVD player is hooked up with a digital coaxial audio output, but my digital
cable box only has stereo audio outs. Can I get surround through these? I
have many DVD's labeled Dolby 5.1 but only get sound through the front
speakers, yet on a few DVDs the sound blooms from all speakers and is truly
enveloping. I have tried all the Dolby/DTS settings on these DVD's and still
no surround. What am I missing here?

jay
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 2:39:51 AM

Jay wrote:

> I just bought a Yamaha YHT 5740 surround system with receiver and 7
> speakers. It sounds awesome on a few DVD's...lots of great surround. I use
> the Straight or Direct mode...no DSP additional processing. However, I never
> get any surround effect on any stereo sources from my digital cable box.

Analogue stereo will probably either come out in stereo or Prologic.
Stereo may not even use the sub. Read the manual!

> DVD player is hooked up with a digital coaxial audio output, but my digital
> cable box only has stereo audio outs. Can I get surround through these? I
> have many DVD's labeled Dolby 5.1 but only get sound through the front
> speakers, yet on a few DVDs the sound blooms from all speakers and is truly
> enveloping. I have tried all the Dolby/DTS settings on these DVD's and still
> no surround. What am I missing here?

Some DVDs are Dolby Digital or DTS with only two channels.
There may be a diagram on the box showing the number of channels,
something like a square with a blob at each top corner.

--
Eiron.
January 16, 2005 3:46:59 PM

I have read the manual, first cover-to-cover, then parts dealing with
surround modes and settings repeatedly. Unfortunately, it is very unclear.
For instance, there is NO discussion of what surround modes are available
from various input configurations, nor is there any discussion of the
various surround modes versus the DSP effects which seem to be more fluff
than anything real.

Jay
"Eiron" <e1ron@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Jay wrote:
>
>> I just bought a Yamaha YHT 5740 surround system with receiver and 7
>> speakers. It sounds awesome on a few DVD's...lots of great surround. I
>> use the Straight or Direct mode...no DSP additional processing. However,
>> I never get any surround effect on any stereo sources from my digital
>> cable box.
>
> Analogue stereo will probably either come out in stereo or Prologic.
> Stereo may not even use the sub. Read the manual!
>
>> DVD player is hooked up with a digital coaxial audio output, but my
>> digital cable box only has stereo audio outs. Can I get surround through
>> these? I have many DVD's labeled Dolby 5.1 but only get sound through the
>> front speakers, yet on a few DVDs the sound blooms from all speakers and
>> is truly enveloping. I have tried all the Dolby/DTS settings on these
>> DVD's and still no surround. What am I missing here?
>
> Some DVDs are Dolby Digital or DTS with only two channels.
> There may be a diagram on the box showing the number of channels,
> something like a square with a blob at each top corner.
>
> --
> Eiron.
January 17, 2005 1:51:09 AM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:45:12 GMT, "Jay" <jaypolicow@snet.net> wrote:

>I just bought a Yamaha YHT 5740 surround system with receiver and 7
>speakers. It sounds awesome on a few DVD's...lots of great surround. I use
>the Straight or Direct mode...no DSP additional processing. However, I never
>get any surround effect on any stereo sources from my digital cable box. My
>DVD player is hooked up with a digital coaxial audio output, but my digital
>cable box only has stereo audio outs. Can I get surround through these? I
>have many DVD's labeled Dolby 5.1 but only get sound through the front
>speakers, yet on a few DVDs the sound blooms from all speakers and is truly
>enveloping. I have tried all the Dolby/DTS settings on these DVD's and still
>no surround. What am I missing here?
>
>jay

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 2:29:28 AM

"Jay" <jaypolicow@snet.net> wrote in message
>I just bought a Yamaha YHT 5740 surround system with receiver and 7
>speakers. It sounds awesome on a few DVD's...lots of great surround. I use
>the Straight or Direct mode...no DSP additional processing. However, I
>never get any surround effect on any stereo sources from my digital cable
>box. My DVD player is hooked up with a digital coaxial audio output, but my
>digital cable box only has stereo audio outs. Can I get surround through
>these?

Not without a shitload of extra DSP processing to simulate surround effects
from a stereo source.

geoff
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 1:17:56 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 22:45:12 GMT, "Jay" <jaypolicow@snet.net> wrote:

>I just bought a Yamaha YHT 5740 surround system with receiver and 7
>speakers. It sounds awesome on a few DVD's...lots of great surround. I use
>the Straight or Direct mode...no DSP additional processing. However, I never
>get any surround effect on any stereo sources from my digital cable box. My
>DVD player is hooked up with a digital coaxial audio output, but my digital
>cable box only has stereo audio outs. Can I get surround through these? I
>have many DVD's labeled Dolby 5.1 but only get sound through the front
>speakers, yet on a few DVDs the sound blooms from all speakers and is truly
>enveloping. I have tried all the Dolby/DTS settings on these DVD's and still
>no surround. What am I missing here?

The analog stereo out from the cable box can give you a surround sound
effect, provided that the audio output is stereo, not mono, on a
station and the receiver is set to DPL or similar surround mode that
will provide a surround effect from a stereo source.

The coax audio out from the DVD player should give you multi channel
digital surround sound provided that the DVD has a 5.1 DD or DTS
track, the receiver is set properly to decode it, the player is set to
output digital bitstream, not 2 channel PCM, and the DVD menu is set
to the 5.1 audio mode available. It's possible you have all of these
settings right but the soundtrack on the particular DVD doesn't have
much surround channel information, so you may be fooled into thinking
there is only sound in the front channels.

Gary E
--
|Gary A. Edelstein
|edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
|"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 1:42:02 AM

Jay <jaypolicow@snet.net> wrote:
> I just bought a Yamaha YHT 5740 surround system with receiver and 7
> speakers. It sounds awesome on a few DVD's...lots of great surround. I use
> the Straight or Direct mode...no DSP additional processing. However, I never
> get any surround effect on any stereo sources from my digital cable box. My
> DVD player is hooked up with a digital coaxial audio output, but my digital
> cable box only has stereo audio outs. Can I get surround through these? I
> have many DVD's labeled Dolby 5.1 but only get sound through the front
> speakers, yet on a few DVDs the sound blooms from all speakers and is truly
> enveloping. I have tried all the Dolby/DTS settings on these DVD's and still
> no surround. What am I missing here?

re: the cable box: the only way you will get 'surround' from the stereo
audio outs (i presume you mean analog stereo outs) is by using Dolby Pro
Logic II, or something similar, on the analog stereo input. DPL II creates
a simulated surround from any two-channel source; it also processes Dolby
Pro Logic encoded material correctly (some TV broadcasts are DPL encoded).
I leave it to you to determine if the 5740 offers DPL II or not; I'm not
familiar with that model.

re: your DVDs. Some DVDs have a surround soundtrack that is selected by
default. These are the 'bloomers'
Others require you to select it manually. Others have no surround version.
For the ones you have that aren't blooming, make sure that
1) they have a surround version of the soundtrack on them
2) you have selected this surround version, from the 'setup' or 'language'
menu of the DVD itself
3) if the answer to (1) is no, you could try using DPL II on the input instead.
That will render 'surround' from a 2-channel sountrack. (It won't work for
a mono soundtrack).

You might also want to make sure your DVD *player* is set to output
'bitstream' for Dolby Digital/DTS sources.

NB that DPL II surround may not be as aggressive as 'real'
surround (Dolby Digital/DTS surround).

--

-S
If you're a nut and knock on enough doors, eventually someone will open one,