Sign in with
Your question

Win7pro 64bit & ram usage

Last response: in Windows 7
April 2, 2012 8:46:06 AM

Hello,

I work with different video editing programs (Premiere, Sony Vegas, After Effect) and when I use the render command for long and complex video projects, the system doesn't use more than 3.2Gb from the 16Gb Ram I have installed in my system. Is that normal ?
Why it is impossible to use more than 3.2Gb of Ram since I work with Win7Pro_64bit and all of my programs are 64bit compatible ?

I really need your HELP !

My system:
CPU: INTEL i7-2600k 3,4Ghz
Mobo: ASRock Fatality Pro Gen3 (Z68)
RAM: 4x4gb G.Skill DDR3-1600 XMS (16Gb)(unbuffered)
Display card :o nboard INTEL HD GRAPHICS 3000(GT2+)
System drive : 2x74GB (WD RAPtOR 10.000RPM) Raid_0
WorkDisk : 2x500Gb (Raid_0)Wd SATA3
Operating System: Win7 Pro 64Bit
a b $ Windows 7
April 2, 2012 9:49:11 AM

Even though your using an x64 O/S, if the app is x32, it is normally limited to accesisng 4GB of ram unless it PAE is active and it knows how to use it.

You need to run native x64 versions of those apps if they exist to get the most out of your system.
m
l
April 2, 2012 10:00:32 AM

Actually 32bit software would be limited to 2Gb of RAM unless its large space aware, which doesn't explain why its 3.2Gb usage. I am just as curious as OP.
m
l
Related resources
April 2, 2012 11:37:02 AM

Strange, I used after effects for a final render yesterday and it used 1.5GB x 8 threads = 12GB. I'm pretty sure within the program's settings (this will vary between Vegas/Premiere/AE) you can set the RAM limit the program can use up to the total RAM you have.
I've set Sony Vegas (x64) on my machine to use up to 12GB for RAM preview...
It definitely is possible, but somewhere your setup needs some configuration to do so.
m
l
April 2, 2012 12:53:32 PM

Thanks
I will search my setup more thorough again.
m
l
June 8, 2013 2:08:54 PM

eosedo-tom said:
Hello,

I work with different video editing programs (Premiere, Sony Vegas, After Effect) and when I use the render command for long and complex video projects, the system doesn't use more than 3.2Gb from the 16Gb Ram I have installed in my system. Is that normal ?
Why it is impossible to use more than 3.2Gb of Ram since I work with Win7Pro_64bit and all of my programs are 64bit compatible ?

I really need your HELP !

My system:
CPU: INTEL i7-2600k 3,4Ghz
Mobo: ASRock Fatality Pro Gen3 (Z68)
RAM: 4x4gb G.Skill DDR3-1600 XMS (16Gb)(unbuffered)
Display card :o nboard INTEL HD GRAPHICS 3000(GT2+)
System drive : 2x74GB (WD RAPtOR 10.000RPM) Raid_0
WorkDisk : 2x500Gb (Raid_0)Wd SATA3
Operating System: Win7 Pro 64Bit

You might want to upgrade to win 8 pro 64 bit, it recognized my 8 Gb ram on the spot and page filing went up to 6 Gb, Holly molly. I have never had so much page filing in my life.

I am trying to do the same thing you are doing, try WIN 8 64 bit. Its fast and very stable, defragment before you start using your program.

You will love it.

Good luck
m
l
June 8, 2013 3:16:35 PM

mattyg_nz said:
Strange, I used after effects for a final render yesterday and it used 1.5GB x 8 threads = 12GB. I'm pretty sure within the program's settings (this will vary between Vegas/Premiere/AE) you can set the RAM limit the program can use up to the total RAM you have.

This is about the only thing I was going to say, but PAE is also important. Make sure that all programs have optimal settings for your configuration; however, you may have to find tutorials or go through the manuals of the product developer's page for each individual program. Just to insure that your programs aren't bottle-necking in some way.

It may be that the programs don't need more than this at any particular moment during the rendering process. Seeing as there's many other factors like Cache Levels on the CPU, also, remember your video card also has RAM onboard, so there's lots of places that your programs may be using resources other than the actual RAM in your motherboard's RAM slots.

I know that utilizing GPU's and Video Card RAM is something most image/video manipulation programs use in order to free up the Processor as much as possible, especially for rendering as higher end cards are built to handle these kinds of operations much more efficiently with little help from your CPU other than the initialization of the rendering.

However, your card is onboard so this is a little less likely, but at the same rate it may be the case... I know that Photoshop and Adobe programs like have the ability to set the dedicated RAM usage at any particular moment in the editing processes.
m
l
!