Win XP Networking Woes

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
OK long story here but I'll try to make it short. My cooling fans came today. I put a slot fan underneath my GF2 Ti 64mb video card. To do so, I had to move my PCI Realtek RTL8139 10/100 network card down a slot to make the slot fan fit under the video card. OK, when I booted up my Win Xp Pro Athlon 1.2GHz machine, it said that it found a new networking device and it installed the Realtek RTL8139 network drivers. The drivers installed just fine. When I checked the My Network Places properties, instead of showing "Local Area Connection" it showed "Local Area Connection 2" like I had changed something but I didn't. Well thats not my problem. My problem is that when I try to access the Win XP Athlon 1.2GHz machine over the network from a Win 9X/ME machine, it says that The Device on the Network does not Exsist. BUT, I can get on the Win XP Athlon 1.2GHz machine just fine from my other Win XP Athlon XP 1600+ machine and I can get on the Win XP Athlon XP 1600+ machine just fine from any other Win 9X/ME machine. Also, my Win 2000 machine wouldn't connect to the Athlon 1.2GHz. I looked at the local policy settings on my Win XP Athlon XP 1600+ machine and set them to the same setting on my Win XP Athlon 1.2GHz machine and it still wouldn't work. But, when I changed the local policy settings to what my Athlon XP 1600+ machine was, The Win 2000 machine could finally acces the Athlon 1.2GHz machine, but the Win 9X/ME machine still can't get on it. Another thing, when I tried to change my NIC's drivers it said that it was Realtek RTL8139 Network Card #2, but when I expanded Network Adapters tree in the device manager, it was the only network adapter present, none disabled and none with an Exclamation point next to it. It's almost as if it's seeing two NIC's when there's only one. When I tried to go into Safe Mode and remove all the network adapters the Realtek RTL8139 Network Card #2 was the only one present. Can someone please help me get this fixed? All was fine until I moved the NIC to another PCI slot for the slot cooling fan =(. Am I going to have to reformat my system? Please help me.....

Tavis

G

Re-run networking wizard on XP cd from scratch all around (as per the wizards instructions starting with gateway computer}....usually fixes problem. Don't worry about what it calls the connection.

Working on computers is what you do when you get tired of glowing in the dark.