SAE 5000 how to hook up to receiver

I would like to use the SAE 5000 I just bought when I play my records.
The owners manual only describes using the unit with a tape recorder.
Is there any way to use this while playing records? How would I hook
up the unit to the receiver in this situation? Thanks.

Dave
1 answer Last reply
More about 5000 hook receiver

    >I would like to use the SAE 5000 I just bought when I play my records.
    >The owners manual only describes using the unit with a tape recorder.
    >Is there any way to use this while playing records? How would I hook
    >up the unit to the receiver in this situation? Thanks.

    The SAE 5000 is designed to be hooked up in the "tape monitor loop".

    Most good receivers have a "tape out" or "out to tape deck" jack,
    which is fed a line-level (1- or 2-volt peak-to-peak) signal from the
    earlier stages of the preamp (e.g. the phono gain/equalization stage).
    They also have a "tape monitor" or "in from tape deck" signal, which
    feeds the volume and tone control circuits.

    Such receivers will have a "tape monitor" button on the front panel.
    When the switch is in the "on" or "monitor" position, the preamp feeds
    the incoming (e.g. phono) signal out to the tape recorder, and then
    feeds "tape monitor" input to the volume control and amplifier. When
    the monitor switch is in the "off" or "bypass" position, the signal
    still goes out to the tape recorder, but is also routed directly to
    the volume control and amp - the signal being fed back in from the
    tape recorder is ignored.

    This feature was designed for use with three-head tape decks - ones
    which can play back the signal while it's being recorded - it lets you
    compare the original signal (monitor switch "off") to the signal being
    laid down on the tape (monitor switch "on") so that you can adjust the
    tape deck's level and bias controls for the best sound quality.

    You normally connect the SAE 5000 in this position... one set of
    cables runs from the preamp "tape out" jack to the SAE's signal input
    jack, and another from the SAE's signal output jack to the preamp's
    "tape in" jack. Then, to use the SAE, you set your preamp's input to
    "phono", and turn the tape monitor switch "on". This routes the
    preamplified signal through the SAE 5000.

    You then calibrate the SAE 5000 settings as indicated in the manual.

    Now, if your receiver doesn't have a "tape monitor" feature, you've
    got a harder problem. If I recall properly, and SAE 5000 *can* be
    connected between the preamp and amplifier, and perhaps even between
    the turntable and phono preamp, but these are much tricker
    arrangements to get to work properly due to the differences in voltage
    levels. Setting the SAE's sensitivity control becomes difficult... if
    it's between the preamp and amp you'll have to readjust it every time
    you change the playback volume.

    --
    Dave Platt <dplatt@radagast.org> AE6EO

Audio