Beware - Inner Sound - Ripoff Artists

Last response: in Home Audio
January 18, 2005 8:50:52 PM

I made the mistake of taking my Teac X-10R to Inner Sound in Portland
Oregon. The capstan belt was broken and I wanted a new one installed. I
would have done it myself like I have done in the past, but my medical
problems have left my right hand paralyzed. I found them in a listing on
Obsolete Media web site. I took the deck in and was asked to pay a $90.00
deposit. I should have walked back out then. I get a call today and was told
I needed to pay another $270.00 to clean, align, and test all the electrical
parts before they could even install the belt, which is going to cost more
on top of the $270.00. I said I would come and get the deck back. I went to
them and asked them how much of my $90.00 deposit I was going to get back.
They said nothing. I told them I thought that was not fair. They said the
$90.00 was an estimate fee now. I don't believe in not paying for a service
and I would have gladly paid them $40.00 for looking at it, but the whole
$90.00 seemed excessive. The deck was working perfectly before the belt
broke. I have 17 other R2R's and know my way around them. I just feel so
angry about being ripped off by these bozos. All I wanted was my capstan
belt replaced, not an estimate for all these other "needed" repairs.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:12:00 AM

In article <a_iHd.47$136.19567@news.uswest.net>,
"SPS 700" <sps_700@lycos.com> wrote:

> I made the mistake of taking my Teac X-10R to Inner Sound in Portland
> Oregon. The capstan belt was broken and I wanted a new one installed. I
> would have done it myself like I have done in the past, but my medical
> problems have left my right hand paralyzed. I found them in a listing on
> Obsolete Media web site. I took the deck in and was asked to pay a $90.00
> deposit. I should have walked back out then. I get a call today and was told
> I needed to pay another $270.00 to clean, align, and test all the electrical
> parts before they could even install the belt, which is going to cost more
> on top of the $270.00. I said I would come and get the deck back. I went to
> them and asked them how much of my $90.00 deposit I was going to get back.
> They said nothing. I told them I thought that was not fair. They said the
> $90.00 was an estimate fee now. I don't believe in not paying for a service
> and I would have gladly paid them $40.00 for looking at it, but the whole
> $90.00 seemed excessive. The deck was working perfectly before the belt
> broke. I have 17 other R2R's and know my way around them. I just feel so
> angry about being ripped off by these bozos. All I wanted was my capstan
> belt replaced, not an estimate for all these other "needed" repairs.

Did you pay by credit card? Your bank will perform a charge-back for
this fraud, and possibly even terminate Inner's ability to charge credit
cards.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 12:51:16 AM

Better Business Beauru

SPS 700 wrote:
> I made the mistake of taking my Teac X-10R to Inner Sound in Portland
> Oregon. The capstan belt was broken and I wanted a new one installed. I
> would have done it myself like I have done in the past, but my medical
> problems have left my right hand paralyzed. I found them in a listing on
> Obsolete Media web site. I took the deck in and was asked to pay a $90.00
> deposit. I should have walked back out then. I get a call today and was told
> I needed to pay another $270.00 to clean, align, and test all the electrical
> parts before they could even install the belt, which is going to cost more
> on top of the $270.00. I said I would come and get the deck back. I went to
> them and asked them how much of my $90.00 deposit I was going to get back.
> They said nothing. I told them I thought that was not fair. They said the
> $90.00 was an estimate fee now. I don't believe in not paying for a service
> and I would have gladly paid them $40.00 for looking at it, but the whole
> $90.00 seemed excessive. The deck was working perfectly before the belt
> broke. I have 17 other R2R's and know my way around them. I just feel so
> angry about being ripped off by these bozos. All I wanted was my capstan
> belt replaced, not an estimate for all these other "needed" repairs.

January 19, 2005 8:48:20 AM

SPS 700 wrote:

> I made the mistake of taking my Teac X-10R to Inner Sound in Portland
> Oregon. The capstan belt was broken and I wanted a new one installed. I
> would have done it myself like I have done in the past, but my medical
> problems have left my right hand paralyzed. I found them in a listing on
> Obsolete Media web site. I took the deck in and was asked to pay a $90.00
> deposit. I should have walked back out then. I get a call today and was told
> I needed to pay another $270.00 to clean, align, and test all the electrical
> parts before they could even install the belt, which is going to cost more
> on top of the $270.00. I said I would come and get the deck back. I went to
> them and asked them how much of my $90.00 deposit I was going to get back.
> They said nothing. I told them I thought that was not fair. They said the
> $90.00 was an estimate fee now. I don't believe in not paying for a service
> and I would have gladly paid them $40.00 for looking at it, but the whole
> $90.00 seemed excessive. The deck was working perfectly before the belt
> broke. I have 17 other R2R's and know my way around them. I just feel so
> angry about being ripped off by these bozos. All I wanted was my capstan
> belt replaced, not an estimate for all these other "needed" repairs.

I went in there with my parents once,long ago (15+ years?) to see about
testing the tweeter in a 3 way Kenwood speaker (suspected it was blown.)
They wanted a huge amount of money just to look at it,so we left,Went to
Sharper Video (on 51st,just south of Division,I think.)
We've also had a TV repaired at Sharper.They charged us $40 for an
estimate on the TV,and applied that towards the repair once we decided
to fix the TV,I forget what it cost,but it seemed reasonable enough
~$100 total I think..Cheaper than a new TV that size. (27" I think?)
They even carried it to/from the car for me :-)

Another place that does good work,that I've always had good luck with is
Audio Specialties on 102nd and Halsey.I've had these guys fix a few
things,and they always do a good job.I've bought some gear from them
also.They get some neat stuff in from time to time.Thier prices usually
aren't too bad either.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:49:28 AM

There's no fraud here. I'll bet the company's estimate fee policy is clearly
stated. 90.00 is a bit high just for the estimate, I'll agree, but the
"Better Business Bureau" is not an enforcement agency, and does not set
prices. Neither does your District Attorney, by the way.
The X-10's and similar models do have a history of dirty controls, etc, and
several of them are very difficult to get to. I wonder what the shop would
have said if the customer proposed ONLY changing the belt, and asking does
the estimate fee apply to the repair (most shops do). From the OP I don't
think he quite did that. The belt is easy enough - but this series of Teacs
deemed to have numerous other problems. Reel tension, no rew/ff, no take-up,
etc.

Mark Z.

"Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> In article <a_iHd.47$136.19567@news.uswest.net>,
> "SPS 700" <sps_700@lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> I made the mistake of taking my Teac X-10R to Inner Sound in Portland
>> Oregon. The capstan belt was broken and I wanted a new one installed. I
>> would have done it myself like I have done in the past, but my medical
>> problems have left my right hand paralyzed. I found them in a listing on
>> Obsolete Media web site. I took the deck in and was asked to pay a $90.00
>> deposit. I should have walked back out then. I get a call today and was
>> told
>> I needed to pay another $270.00 to clean, align, and test all the
>> electrical
>> parts before they could even install the belt, which is going to cost
>> more
>> on top of the $270.00. I said I would come and get the deck back. I went
>> them and asked them how much of my $90.00 deposit I was going to get
>> back.
>> They said nothing. I told them I thought that was not fair. They said the
>> $90.00 was an estimate fee now. I don't believe in not paying for a
>> service
>> and I would have gladly paid them $40.00 for looking at it, but the whole
>> $90.00 seemed excessive. The deck was working perfectly before the belt
>> broke. I have 17 other R2R's and know my way around them. I just feel so
>> angry about being ripped off by these bozos. All I wanted was my capstan
>> belt replaced, not an estimate for all these other "needed" repairs.
>
> Did you pay by credit card? Your bank will perform a charge-back for
> this fraud, and possibly even terminate Inner's ability to charge credit
> cards.
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 8:54:47 AM

"SPS 700" <sps_700@lycos.com> wrote in

> I made the mistake of taking my Teac X-10R to Inner Sound in Portland
> Oregon. The capstan belt was broken and I wanted a new one installed. I
> would have done it myself like I have done in the past, but my medical
> problems have left my right hand paralyzed. I found them in a listing on
> Obsolete Media web site. I took the deck in and was asked to pay a
> $90.00 deposit. I should have walked back out then. I get a call today
> and was told I needed to pay another $270.00 to clean, align, and test
> all the electrical parts before they could even install the belt, which
> is going to cost more on top of the $270.00. I said I would come and get
> the deck back. I went to them and asked them how much of my $90.00
> deposit I was going to get back. They said nothing. I told them I
> thought that was not fair. They said the $90.00 was an estimate fee now.
> I don't believe in not paying for a service and I would have gladly paid
> them $40.00 for looking at it, but the whole $90.00 seemed excessive.
> The deck was working perfectly before the belt broke. I have 17 other
> R2R's and know my way around them. I just feel so angry about being
> ripped off by these bozos. All I wanted was my capstan belt replaced,
> not an estimate for all these other "needed" repairs.

Consider yourself lucky. Would you really want those guys installing a
belt on your deck? I am willing to bet it would be all messed up.

January 19, 2005 5:46:03 PM

In article <356vq4F4iljl8U1@individual.net>, mzacharias@yis.us says...

>There's no fraud here. I'll bet the company's estimate fee policy is clearly
>stated. 90.00 is a bit high just for the estimate, I'll agree, but the
>"Better Business Bureau" is not an enforcement agency, and does not set
>prices. Neither does your District Attorney, by the way.
>The X-10's and similar models do have a history of dirty controls, etc, and
>several of them are very difficult to get to. I wonder what the shop would
>have said if the customer proposed ONLY changing the belt, and asking does
>the estimate fee apply to the repair (most shops do). From the OP I don't
>think he quite did that. The belt is easy enough - but this series of Teacs
>deemed to have numerous other problems. Reel tension, no rew/ff, no take-up,
>etc.

If the OP walked in and asked that they change the belt, then the shop was
trying to rip him off. If he said the deck was broken and need to be fixed,
then what they did was proper. The question is what did the OP ask the
shop to do?
-------------
Alex
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 4:04:56 AM

No, it's fraud. He paid $90 and did not get an estimate for the belt
replacement. Their findings were completely unrelated to the work
requested. If the $90 was actually stated as a deposit initially, then
it must be refunded or used towards the repair of the belt.

Get a charge-back from the credit card company NOW.

"Mark D. Zacharias" <mzacharias@yis.us> wrote:

> There's no fraud here. I'll bet the company's estimate fee policy is clearly
> stated. 90.00 is a bit high just for the estimate, I'll agree, but the
> "Better Business Bureau" is not an enforcement agency, and does not set
> prices. Neither does your District Attorney, by the way.
> The X-10's and similar models do have a history of dirty controls, etc, and
> several of them are very difficult to get to. I wonder what the shop would
> have said if the customer proposed ONLY changing the belt, and asking does
> the estimate fee apply to the repair (most shops do). From the OP I don't
> think he quite did that. The belt is easy enough - but this series of Teacs
> deemed to have numerous other problems. Reel tension, no rew/ff, no take-up,
> etc.
>
> Mark Z.
>

> "Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message
> > In article <a_iHd.47$136.19567@news.uswest.net>,
> > "SPS 700" <sps_700@lycos.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I made the mistake of taking my Teac X-10R to Inner Sound in Portland
> >> Oregon. The capstan belt was broken and I wanted a new one installed. I
> >> would have done it myself like I have done in the past, but my medical
> >> problems have left my right hand paralyzed. I found them in a listing on
> >> Obsolete Media web site. I took the deck in and was asked to pay a $90.00
> >> deposit. I should have walked back out then. I get a call today and was
> >> told
> >> I needed to pay another $270.00 to clean, align, and test all the
> >> electrical
> >> parts before they could even install the belt, which is going to cost
> >> more
> >> on top of the $270.00. I said I would come and get the deck back. I went
> >> them and asked them how much of my $90.00 deposit I was going to get
> >> back.
> >> They said nothing. I told them I thought that was not fair. They said the
> >> $90.00 was an estimate fee now. I don't believe in not paying for a
> >> service
> >> and I would have gladly paid them $40.00 for looking at it, but the whole
> >> $90.00 seemed excessive. The deck was working perfectly before the belt
> >> broke. I have 17 other R2R's and know my way around them. I just feel so
> >> angry about being ripped off by these bozos. All I wanted was my capstan
> >> belt replaced, not an estimate for all these other "needed" repairs.
> >
> > Did you pay by credit card? Your bank will perform a charge-back for
> > this fraud, and possibly even terminate Inner's ability to charge credit
> > cards.
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:06:10 AM

As far as I could tell, he got an estimate for a repair. Not a simple belt
replacement with no other work done. Most shops would require a clear
understanding that there was no warranty at all except for the belt if they
undertook this job under these circumstances.

> No, it's fraud. He paid $90 and did not get an estimate for the belt
> replacement. Their findings were completely unrelated to the work
> requested. If the $90 was actually stated as a deposit initially, then
> it must be refunded or used towards the repair of the belt.
>
> Get a charge-back from the credit card company NOW.
>
> In article <356vq4F4iljl8U1@individual.net>,
> "Mark D. Zacharias" <mzacharias@yis.us> wrote:
>
>> There's no fraud here. I'll bet the company's estimate fee policy is
>> clearly
>> stated. 90.00 is a bit high just for the estimate, I'll agree, but the
>> "Better Business Bureau" is not an enforcement agency, and does not set
>> prices. Neither does your District Attorney, by the way.
>> The X-10's and similar models do have a history of dirty controls, etc,
>> and
>> several of them are very difficult to get to. I wonder what the shop
>> would
>> have said if the customer proposed ONLY changing the belt, and asking
>> does
>> the estimate fee apply to the repair (most shops do). From the OP I don't
>> think he quite did that. The belt is easy enough - but this series of
>> Teacs
>> deemed to have numerous other problems. Reel tension, no rew/ff, no
>> take-up,
>> etc.
>>
>> Mark Z.
>>

>> "Kevin McMurtrie" <mcmurtri@dslextreme.com> wrote in message

>> > Did you pay by credit card? Your bank will perform a charge-back for
>> > this fraud, and possibly even terminate Inner's ability to charge
>> > credit
>> > cards.
February 4, 2013 4:59:35 PM

I bought an Audio Research D-250 amplifier which had been recently repaired by Inner Sound, according to the seller. The Inner Sound sticker was prominently affixed to the back of the unit. The D-250 is a precious and famous amplifier that deserves proper care. As an experienced engineer, I examined the insides of the unit upon receiving the amp. The amp does seem to play, although the repaired section is an overload protection circuit which is only triggered if there is a problem. I will carefully measure and check its function. But the workmanship of Inner Sound's repair was extremely poorly done. It's as if they rushed it out the door to make their money, assuming that no one would know any better. They installed replacement parts on the wrong side of the printed circuit board because doing it right would have been a bit harder. The replacement transistors have leads that are way too long, and these are bent and twisted. A short circuit could happen at any time. Soldering was lousy, with globs of solder here and there, solder flux that wasn't cleaned off, cold joints and barely tacked-in-place parts. Wire insulation was singed by careless placement of the soldering iron. Wiring harnesses had been unbundled and separated to access the parts, which is OK, but they didn't bother to properly re-dress or re-bundle the wires when they were done. Might have taken 10 minutes to do it right. I have made a note to myself never to use Inner Sound and to warn others against using them.
February 6, 2013 8:55:59 AM

Quote:

[...]

I would have done it for $75 + parts.
True, you have to take the unit apart to change the capstan belt, but all that other stuff is probably unnecessary. And, as you said, it worked OK before the belt broke.
Contact your state board of electronics and appliance repair. File a complaint and demand a refund. Also file complaint with BBB.
Write the complaint on: "the ripoff report" website
In cases like this, the amount of help you get depends on how much NOISE you make. Make a WHOLE BUNCH of NOISE.
If you asked them to change the belt, why didn't they JUST change it? Like you ASKED them to do???
* OH PLEASE, I know all about repair shops, that charge an "estimate fee." Quit yanking this guy's CHAIN and REPLACE his BELT.
** If it were my customer, I would have changed the belt FREE, apologized, and I would have had a happy customer, saying good things, forever. You have not learned THAT lesson...
March 2, 2013 3:15:53 PM

I am the owner of Inner Sound and just saw this post. What a cowardly way to complain, "anonymous"! Did you ever contact ME?
We charge $90 (then and now) as a minimum labor / estimate charge on reel-to-reels. We tell EVERY customer this BEFORE they pay. This is applied fully toward the repair (or pays fully for small repairs). The service you received was a full and thorough estimate of a machine that was twenty years old.
This post is from 2005. Are these slanderous comments left on this website forever?

Jay Moskovitz

[...]
belt replaced, not an estimate for all these other "needed" repairs.[/quotemsg]
!