When will WPA be supported on TiVo?

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
August 5, 2005 10:55:02 PM

Hello,

Any word on when TiVo will support WPA wireless security? I saw on the
website that 802.11g is supported, but saw no mention of WPA security -
I only found WEP security.

My wireless home network is using 802.11g and WPA. I don't want to
revert my home network to the weaker WEP protection.

I sure would like to connect my 2 TiVo's to my home network but won't
until they support WPA security.

Has anyone heard if/when TiVo will offer WPA support?

Many thanks,
Ted.

More about : wpa supported tivo

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
August 6, 2005 3:04:54 AM

Ted wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Any word on when TiVo will support WPA wireless security? I saw on the
> website that 802.11g is supported, but saw no mention of WPA security -
> I only found WEP security.
>
> My wireless home network is using 802.11g and WPA. I don't want to
> revert my home network to the weaker WEP protection.
>
> I sure would like to connect my 2 TiVo's to my home network but won't
> until they support WPA security.
>
> Has anyone heard if/when TiVo will offer WPA support?
>
> Many thanks,
> Ted.

You can workaround it by using a USB-to-wired-ethernet adapter, then
attaching a wireless gaming adapter (converts wired ethernet to
wireless) that supports WPA. The gaming adapter aren't that cheap (they
cost more than a typical router, ~$50-$100), but you can find deals if
you keep your eyes open. I got one off of www.woot.com for $20 when
they were selling them.

Randy S.
August 6, 2005 3:59:33 AM

I've also found this frustrating, especially since Tivo is so
tight-lipped about their plans for upgrades, etc. I ended up buying an
adapter and using a network cable to connect Tivo to my router. Not
ideal, but better than lowering network security just for the Tivo to
have a wireless connection.
!