USB 2.0 or firewire?

G

firewire is older and somewhat of a standard at mac, so there should be more devices to plug in, but some of them may not be "pc-friendly" I guess... newer drivers might take care of that, hopefully?
USB 2 is still so new that not many things make use of it yet, but that probably will change...
Myself I am going for a asus MB with both :smile:
But I agree with the former poster, what are you gonna hook up?

<A HREF="http://www.menvafan.net/melc/" target="_new">the Anarchist MelanieC Fanclub</A> :wink:

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Well right now maybe try an external hardrive and cd-rw.... basically just wondering if usb and firewire are better than the regular ide?..

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
'better' isn't really the issue, when compared to IDE.

If you need external portability, then USB2 and Firewire are the way to go. If you don't, IDE is always gonna be a lot cheaper and equally effective.

I'm going for USB2 on my next mobo, backwards compatibility with my current USB peripherals makes for a simpler system. Never had much to do with firewire.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Gosh I hate giving absolute answers (there's always some expert git who comes up with something I hadn't thought of), can't see how USB2 could be superior to IDE though. Not by specification anyway. External solutions never are.

Remember USB shares its bandwidth between all devices on the chain.

Also, a CD Writer is limited by it's writing speed, not the interface (except for external parallel port {{{shudder}}} & possibly USB1)

Vince604

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2002
Thx you two. haha upec makes it sound so simple and easy to understand...

Well you guys have any idea on the difference between ATA and IDE??

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
ata is just a name for the level of interface of a ide divice

k
like ata 100 is udma 5 which is an ide device

what is better then a 7000 rpm, a 8000 rpm delta. to cause more noise to kill your ears :smile: