sound card mic / output socket proximity (!)

Last response: in Home Audio
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2005 3:12:27 AM

Hmmm... Having bought decent leads for my mic and audio output to an
amp, I can't plug them both in at the same time - the two sockets are
next to each other (and close together) on my soundblaster sound card.

My motherboard has a built in sound card which might be a solution for
having them plugged in seperately... but how do I run one sound card
for my output (to amp and speakers) and the other (the one on the
mother board) for my mic input? Any ideas anyone?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 20, 2005 10:10:51 AM

"kooppp" [in the UK] wrote ...
> Hmmm... Having bought decent leads for my mic and
> audio output to an amp, I can't plug them both in at the
> same time - the two sockets are next to each other (and
> close together) on my soundblaster sound card.

I would take the cables back and buy some sensible ones.
If you pay any more than 5 pounds for such a cable, you
are buying sizzle and not steak. There is no mechanical
reason for the connectors to be so big. I'd suspect that the
marketing gerbs wanted something impressive to justify
the premium price.

If they are moulded plastic, you could try carving off some
of the excess girth. But that is risky as you don't know what
is inside and it would destroy any resale value.

> My motherboard has a built in sound card which might be
> a solution for having them plugged in seperately... but how
> do I run one sound card for my output (to amp and speakers)
> and the other (the one on the mother board) for my mic input?
> Any ideas anyone?

Likely not practical.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2005 3:58:08 AM

On 20 Jan 2005 00:12:27 -0800, mike@kooppp.freeserve.co.uk (kooppp)
wrote:

>Hmmm... Having bought decent leads for my mic and audio output to an
>amp, I can't plug them both in at the same time - the two sockets are
>next to each other (and close together) on my soundblaster sound card.

Does "decent" mean "overpriced, with gigantic gold-plated
connectors"? :-)

"Decent" should mean "suitable for the purpose". Take them back.

The mic input on Soundblaster and other domestic sound cards has no
pretense to quality. Use an external mixer or preamp (which will
accept a quality mic) into Line In.

I assume you're looking for audio quality. Premium cables aren't the
answer, but all credit for trying :-)
!