Sign in with
Your question

WINDOWS 7 PARTITIONING

Last response: in Windows 7
February 4, 2010 8:29:22 PM

Does anybody know the command to make a partition bootable in Win 7? Fdisk does not work and I want to partition and make it bootable for an older program that runs in DOS

More about : windows partitioning

February 4, 2010 9:49:42 PM

I am planning to buy a laptop with 320 or 500GB HDD and Win7Home Premium pre-installed. Till I get familiar with this OS I should like to keep and use WinXP in another partition. Is this possible? (I remember I had Win98 and Win XP in 2 different partition for a while and then uninstalled Win98 after I was comfortable with WinXP.)

m
l
February 4, 2010 11:25:32 PM

Windows 7 has a cool tool in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management where you can resize (shrink) partitions. I don't know if you have that access on Home Premium, but on Professional, it is pretty cool. I can use it to set up XP, or any other OS.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2010 1:40:20 AM

jacobdrj said:
Windows 7 has a cool tool in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management where you can resize (shrink) partitions. I don't know if you have that access on Home Premium, but on Professional, it is pretty cool. I can use it to set up XP, or any other OS.

Thank you. I was told by one of the dealers who both sells and services laptops that I can't have WinXP in another partition if Win 7 is preloaded. I wanted to make sure it was possible.

Now I have to find out if Win7 Premium allows resizing partitions.

m
l
February 8, 2010 6:38:34 PM

You can do it, but you will have to repair the boot table to hand priority back to Windows 7. There is a tutorial online. I'll find it and post it.
m
l
February 10, 2010 2:14:10 AM

Well, I have Easeus Partition Master 3.0.2 Home and also Paragon Partition Manager for Win 7 (64 bit) so I suppose these will take care of the partition problem. But in the partition where I plan to have WinXP can I make it 32-bit, or will Win XP work in 64-bit mode?
m
l
February 10, 2010 5:03:35 PM

Each OS is independent of each other. So you can install XP x32 or XP x64 if you like, but you cant 'change' XP x32 into XP x64, they are separate OSs with separate licenses.
m
l
February 10, 2010 9:41:28 PM

jacobdrj said:
Each OS is independent of each other. So you can install XP x32 or XP x64 if you like, but you cant 'change' XP x32 into XP x64, they are separate OSs with separate licenses.

Does it mean that if the HDD is initially configured to work in the 64-bit mode, the XP version I have (it works in the 32-bit mode at present ) will not work in one partition created later using Easeus partition master or Paragon partition manager?
m
l
!