How to make a file on an hp computer

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
I need to learn how to make a file...I'm new to computers & really have no idea....please help!! Thanks, Christina

Solution

inside that folder, right click and you'll be able to create a document (wordpad/text/word/notepad) and then put your password in that and save it, but as others have said you may have bigger issues at hand.

Do what Colgeek above said first, this might ensure that you are clean, and hence safe to type in the password.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
What do you mean "make a file"? Are you trying to save a document, such as in a word processor program? If so, simply click save after you type up the document and then give it a name.

If you mean, make a new folder. Right click on the desktop and select New and then folder. Give it a name.

Please clarify.

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
To whoever said I was a troll....HARDLY!!! I just want some help in order to make a file, because very seriously, I am not a computer geek, and have never done that before. Now that I have to, I have no idea how to do it. Just because a lot of you think it's easy, it's not for ME, bec I never HAD to do it before! OK??? Why would I lie about something like that? It's a simple question, all I need is a simple answer, unless it isn't simple ( I really HOPE it's simple...)...Thanks again. ~ Christina

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

HI, thanks for response, trying to save a complicated password, that I even can't remember, bec of a hacker, that I will be reporting shortly to the FBI, as he has been hacking me for a while, and I'm beginning to think this guy (girl?) is dangerous. I'm not taking chances. I had a complicated password before, and I could write that one down in a notebook, this one I can't, it's that complicated. Anyway, so I literally need to know how to generate a little folder and put in most of that password, and just keep a few things out so it isn't easily accessible to just anyone, and I need to know how to put in the password into the file. I know it's prob. baby stuff to you people, to me it seems complicated. You wouldn't believe what I do for a living, as I'm a professional, but I don't use computers to do it! Just really starting to learn how to do some of this computer stuff. Thanks so much for your response. ~ Christina :)

COLGeek

Cybernaut

What makes you think you were hacked? Also, if that is truly the case, even securing a file may not solve your problem if a hacker has installed a keylogger and is tracking you.

Is this on your home network or on a public network?

There are about a bazillion (well, a lot anyway) questions that could be asked.

First, you need to secure your network and your system. You need to lock down access to your router and you need to scan/clean your system. Then, when you are 100% sure your system is clean, you can save your password file. BTW, alvine's suggestion is good and simple.

Please elaborate on your situation.....

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

YIKES!! Compress file?? with winzip?? I just followed your advice to make the file folder, I DID IT!! Thank you! Now how do I get my info into it?? I'm trying like heck to get the password in there, but can't seem to do it...what am I doing wrong? Thx Alvine, I won't forget you for sure!! :hello:

COLGeek

Cybernaut

inside that folder, right click and you'll be able to create a document (wordpad/text/word/notepad) and then put your password in that and save it, but as others have said you may have bigger issues at hand.

Do what Colgeek above said first, this might ensure that you are clean, and hence safe to type in the password.

Solution

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

OK well on fb, while checking my security, I saw all these places I supposedly checked in from that I've never been before.. This is on my personal computer, no one else has access to it, it's not a public pc at all. So I put in the necessary changes a billion times it seems, such as changing passwords, really complicated ones, and then turning on login notifications, and also asking that anyone that tries to get into my account, even if somehow they get my password, if the computer is not recognized, then fb will not let them in, until I get a code on my mobile phone with a code that has to be entered in order to get into my account...do you know this guy got in somehow? But I'm beginning to realize he's checking in when I'm already in, so he can't get that code...I was just notified again today while trying to access fb that somebody tried to log in again from some other area I've never been, but was denied. That's when I figured he can't get my phone code, but I yet again have to submit ANOTHER new password *sigh*...this must be my 20th one, but it's a good one, and I can't tell you what I figured out....it's good. But no way can I replicate it myself, I have to copy & paste it in, which is why I need the folder :))) He's really getting on my nerves, no he's getting into my LAST nerve! ~Christina :heink:

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

PS I do have a local computer expert friend, but he's not here right now, and I need to generate another password, which I did, but didn't know HOW to store it, hence, I came here! He put in all sorts of protections on my system, but even he admits this guy must be some sort of genius hacker, bec my friend can dismantle and restore computers, and he can't figure out how he's getting my password. ~Christina :))))

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Obvious troll is obvious, one who does not know how to make a file does not know how to post on a forum or login to an email account. To say you don't know how to make a file is pure and utter crap lol. Even a 5 year old knows how to do that, heck probably a 3 year old does these days.

Jim_L9

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Passwords don't have to be hard to remember to be effective. I saw on a security site that the following password is very secure (make up your own, don't use this one):
D0g............. It has 16 characters, uppercase, lowercase, number and special character and would be easy to remember.

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

sorry to "disappoint" you, but it's not crap, and if you were in my office, you couldn't do the things I can do so easily, which for you would seem like Mount Everest. I've tried to avoid computers, did not want to be part of it at all, but got addicted and do enjoy conversations with people everywhere. But anyway, judge not bec you don't know me, maybe a 3 year old can do it, but they've been doing these things practically from the time they've been born on daddy's lap, therefore, no big deal. What I do in real life takes 8 years to learn. This is easy by far, but still you have to learn the basics, just like playing piano properly or learning to ride a bike. Insults are never a way to deal with other people's problems, thank you very much. I've never insulted anyone who didn't know things when they came into my office, I just TAUGHT them, and I enjoyed seeing that they indeed had some control over the situation. You must be very young to be so intolerant. Your response was unnecessary and cruel.

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

Did all that, numbers, characters, uppercase, symbols, whatever, I did it, this guy broke it somehow!!!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The only feasible way this is happening is that someone has a keylogger on your system and they are using it to monitor what you are doing. Also, you are describing an issue with Facebook. Since you access the system via the web, then the "hacker" could only get the password from you (your system).

Your friend, if as good as you think, should be able to lock this down after you scan/clean your system. Make sure that your router does not support remote access as well (your friend should understand this).

Last, this friend. Do you trust him?

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012

Yes, very much, I've known him for 3 decades at least...I'm going to show him what you said, I know some of what he did to this computer, but only he can tell you everything he's done to batten down the hatches, so to say...but I'll show him your comments anyway, cause who knows? Maybe, what you said may help.

cnzvmd

Honorable
Apr 2, 2012
My computer friend is here now...btw, thanks for all your help, now here is his response:

"Chrisitna is a real casual user...just Facebook and what she teaches herself by asking questions....she even got this site info by asking. Really smart, but never learned the slightest basics such as making a text file (I'll show her how now). She never needed to know this stuff in her profession and still doesn't for her profession. She only uses the computer for entertainment.

I would be interested in input on the following...I am running Norton 360 on her machine as the firewall and virus protection...am now running malware to see if anything is there...BUT she typically runs her laptop in public places such as library or Starbucks over an open network. I have set up the laptop to be invisible over such networks, yet I suspect it is this avenue that the hacker must be using to crack her Facebook account.

Any thoughts?"

OK there's my expert...I think he's done an excellent job, any additional info that might help would be greatly appreciated...~Christina

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Even if her labtop is "invisible" to networks which isnt possible at all since even networks that are not showing an SSID are still visable with programs. I would suggest to enable HTTPS on facebook under privacy settings to avoid a hacker from wiresharking her packets or packet sniffing people call it.

On any public network it isnt safe to login to any website without HTTPS since data isnt encrypted without it. With HTTPS it sends all encrypted data so even with firesheep or wireshark people could not use that data to login.

mattyg_nz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hi Christina,
Cool, you have learnt to make a new text file, archive it and set a password on it. That can be useful. However you have missed something important:
Never store passwords on your computer (in plain text - think Sony)

If a hacker does gain control over your computer (again?), he can simply grab that password locked file, hack the password (google brute force attack) and use the password to take control over everything protected by that password. It would be better to write it down on a piece of paper (which is still not a good idea).

To remove all "malware" from hackers, follow this guide by Tom's with your computer friend (windows 7 right?):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/8263-63-simple-free-guide-removing-malware

I have set up the laptop to be invisible over such networks, yet I suspect it is this avenue that the hacker must be using to crack her Facebook account.
Right, do you connect to the router? If so, you are NOT invisible to a port-scan. The easiest way to protect yourself from a middleman attack (google) is to encode your packets i.e. use HTTPS instead of HTTP. Another way is to use SSH tunnels (similar protocol).
Windows settings, just running through the basics - disable remote assistance, network discovery, file sharing, remote desktop.

Remember this,
Without encryption, someone can see what you see and enter into your browser.

edit: minor corrections

I may not have made it explicit enough when I answered your asked question, but like others have said, storing it on your computer is not safe.

and as others have said he appears to have a way of watching what you have typed, hence how he is able to get in so easily.

Remember that the butler did it, you friend, really really make sure you can trust him, and that there is not ulterior motive, I hate to say it, but if he's of the wrong mindset and wants to get into your good books, it would be easy to come to the rescue here.