recording and playing video on P900?

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
June 21, 2004 2:32:18 PM

Hi

I'm seriously thinking of buying a P900 and need some advice regarding video
recording and playback on it.

Can anyone tell me the maximum duration I can record/playback? I realise
this is determined by the available memory and resolution - does anyone have
a table of x duration @ x resolution or know here I can find one?

What recording resolutions are available?

What is the maximum size memory card I can use in the P900?

I want to covert some avi and mpg files for playback on the P900. Any
recommendations for software to do this?

I record martial art forms and it would be really useful for me to have
these easily available for reference when practicing. A lot more convenient
if I can do this on my mobile rather than carrying around a laptop!

Thanks for any info.

Ian
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 9:39:09 PM

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> I'm seriously thinking of buying a P900 and need some advice regarding
video
> recording and playback on it.
>
> Can anyone tell me the maximum duration I can record/playback? I realise
> this is determined by the available memory and resolution - does anyone
have
> a table of x duration @ x resolution or know here I can find one?

The maximum duration is only limited by the available space, so with a large
enough memory stick you can record really long clips.

> What recording resolutions are available?

I think the built in communicorder records at up to 176x144, but the phone
can smoothly play back larger resolutions.

> What is the maximum size memory card I can use in the P900?

128MB. Unfortunately it only supports the standard memory stick Duo, and not
the Pro version which offers a lot more storage.

> I want to covert some avi and mpg files for playback on the P900. Any
> recommendations for software to do this?

PVauthor, by packetvideo (the people behind the built-in recorder). But I
've found that if you have QuickTime, you can easily convert video files to
..mp4 format, 15fps, at around 256kbps and they play back great on the phone.
You 'll have to experiment with the resolution - probably making them as big
as the screen resolution of the P900 is ok, but not larger because the phone
will scale it down while playing it back, which will significantly drop the
playback performance.

> I record martial art forms and it would be really useful for me to have
> these easily available for reference when practicing. A lot more
convenient
> if I can do this on my mobile rather than carrying around a laptop!

The built in camera is not the best it could be (especially in low lighting
conditions) but if you record with a video camera and convert for playback
on the phone, the clips will look great.

nick

--

Nick Hatzichristos
AnimateThis

ICQ# : 48636115
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 10:25:16 PM

"Nick Hatzichristos" wrote:
> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> > Can anyone tell me the maximum duration I can record/playback? I
> > realise this is determined by the available memory and resolution -
> > does anyone have a table of x duration @ x resolution or know here
> > I can find one?

> The maximum duration is only limited by the available space, so with
> a large enough memory stick you can record really long clips.

With a free 128 MB memory stick duo, you can record up to 110 (or was
it 112?) minutes. But you wouldn't want to watch it for that long. ;-)

--
Stefan Bellon
June 22, 2004 2:09:05 AM

I encoded Riddick onto my P900 the other day, which was 1hr 50mins, and
watched it in landscape view. It only took up 80mb and was watchable for the
whole amount. :)

"Stefan Bellon" <sbellon@sbellon.de> wrote in message
> "Nick Hatzichristos" wrote:
>> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>> > Can anyone tell me the maximum duration I can record/playback? I
>> > realise this is determined by the available memory and resolution -
>> > does anyone have a table of x duration @ x resolution or know here
>> > I can find one?
>
>> The maximum duration is only limited by the available space, so with
>> a large enough memory stick you can record really long clips.
>
> With a free 128 MB memory stick duo, you can record up to 110 (or was
> it 112?) minutes. But you wouldn't want to watch it for that long. ;-)
>
> --
> Stefan Bellon
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 2:20:02 AM

"Stefan Bellon" <sbellon@sbellon.de> wrote in message

> With a free 128 MB memory stick duo, you can record up to 110 (or was
> it 112?) minutes. But you wouldn't want to watch it for that long. ;-)

Hehe, good point ; )

nick

--

Nick Hatzichristos
AnimateThis

ICQ# : 48636115
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 4:50:33 AM

d3lf wrote:
> I encoded Riddick onto my P900 the other day, which was 1hr 50mins,
> and watched it in landscape view. It only took up 80mb and was
> watchable for the whole amount. :)

Yes, but that's because your encoded it in a larger resolution that the
internal CommuniCorder records videos. My point was that you wouldn't
want to watch 110 minutes of CommuniCorder video.

--
Stefan Bellon
Anonymous

"Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm seriously thinking of buying a P900 and need some advice regarding
video
> recording and playback on it.
>
> Can anyone tell me the maximum duration I can record/playback? I realise
> this is determined by the available memory and resolution - does anyone
have
> a table of x duration @ x resolution or know here I can find one?
>
> What recording resolutions are available?
>
> What is the maximum size memory card I can use in the P900?
>
> I want to covert some avi and mpg files for playback on the P900. Any
> recommendations for software to do this?
>
> I record martial art forms and it would be really useful for me to have
> these easily available for reference when practicing. A lot more
convenient
> if I can do this on my mobile rather than carrying around a laptop!
>
> Thanks for any info.
>
> Ian

Hi Guys

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. Really helpful.

Cant wait to get my P900 now!!

BTW d3lf...who or what is "Riddick"??

Ian I^)
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 12:46:00 AM

Riddick - the Chronicles of Riddick : ever seen Pitch Black with Vin Diesel?
It's the follow-on from that, set about 5 years later.
The point I was making was that it was a slightly longer than normal,
feature length film, that fitted easily onto a memory stick, and made my
train journey zoom by. (I had some issues with reflection off the screen on
a couple of occasions, but it was fine otherwise)

Thank god for the P900 :)

> "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm seriously thinking of buying a P900 and need some advice regarding
> video
>> recording and playback on it.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me the maximum duration I can record/playback? I realise
>> this is determined by the available memory and resolution - does anyone
> have
>> a table of x duration @ x resolution or know here I can find one?
>>
>> What recording resolutions are available?
>>
>> What is the maximum size memory card I can use in the P900?
>>
>> I want to covert some avi and mpg files for playback on the P900. Any
>> recommendations for software to do this?
>>
>> I record martial art forms and it would be really useful for me to have
>> these easily available for reference when practicing. A lot more
> convenient
>> if I can do this on my mobile rather than carrying around a laptop!
>>
>> Thanks for any info.
>>
>> Ian
>>

> Hi Guys
>
> Thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply. Really helpful.
>
> Cant wait to get my P900 now!!
>
> BTW d3lf...who or what is "Riddick"??
>
> Ian I^)

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 5:02:18 PM

"d3lf" <del@.spam.globalspot.net> wrote in message
> Riddick - the Chronicles of Riddick : ever seen Pitch Black with Vin
Diesel?
> It's the follow-on from that, set about 5 years later.
> The point I was making was that it was a slightly longer than normal,
> feature length film, that fitted easily onto a memory stick, and made my
> train journey zoom by. (I had some issues with reflection off the screen
on
> a couple of occasions, but it was fine otherwise)
>
> Thank god for the P900 :)

Aha!

Thanks. I hadnt seen the first movie but just did a search on the net and
watched a trailer. Looks great! Cant wait for it to come out on "The Big
Screen" over here! I^)

Still a great way to relieve the tedium of a long journey (would we be
allowed to use on an aircraft?)

And what kind of hit does it have on the battery? Do you need to carry a
spare?

Ian I^)
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 4:04:25 AM

Yep, P900 has a flight mode, but you might need to explain that to an
airstewardess if you are seen handling it. I did play chess on it on a
flight from london to leeds and no-one batted an eyelid.
I think watching the video fullscreen for under two hours took about 35% off
the fully charged battery.

> "d3lf" <del@.spam.globalspot.net> wrote in message
>> Riddick - the Chronicles of Riddick : ever seen Pitch Black with Vin
> Diesel?
>> It's the follow-on from that, set about 5 years later.
>> The point I was making was that it was a slightly longer than normal,
>> feature length film, that fitted easily onto a memory stick, and made my
>> train journey zoom by. (I had some issues with reflection off the screen
> on
>> a couple of occasions, but it was fine otherwise)
>>
>> Thank god for the P900 :)
>>

> Aha!
>
> Thanks. I hadnt seen the first movie but just did a search on the net and
> watched a trailer. Looks great! Cant wait for it to come out on "The Big
> Screen" over here! I^)
>
> Still a great way to relieve the tedium of a long journey (would we be
> allowed to use on an aircraft?)
>
> And what kind of hit does it have on the battery? Do you need to carry a
> spare?
>
> Ian I^)

Anonymous
July 4, 2004 1:43:48 AM

Ian Roberts? Cool! My little step-brother's name is Iain Roberts Thomson :-)

!