Audigy EAX Advanced used in Jedi Knight 2/SOF2

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Repost of DaWizeGuy's post on Rage3d.com-

<b>Raven Soft's new game Jedi Knight 2 - Jedi Outcast is the first title to support EAX Advanced HD.

How to enable 3D sound and EAX Advanced HD:

Open the jk2config (located in the GameData/Base dir) and edit the line:

seta s_UseOpenAL "0"

to :

seta s_UseOpenAL "1"

Per default 3D sound (and EAX Advanced HD) is disabled because Jedi Knight 2 use the OpenAL API (a cross platform 3D sound API like Miles Sound) which currently doesn't support Hardware Accelleration. As a result enabling 3D sound and EAX Advanced HD will result in a performance hit, especially on slower systems. Only owners of a Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy soundcard will hear the new features, but 3D sound and reverb should work with all other EAX compatible soundcards. Finally 3D sound with EAX Advanced HD only work in single player. I have played through the whole single player camapign and didn't notice any major slowdowns. 3D sound and EAX Advanced HD greatly enhance the gaming experience and in my opinion Raven have done an excellent job with the sound code.

According to a recent statement Creative Labs will release new Audigy driver in about two months from now which support Hardware accelleration in conjunction with OpenAL so cpu utilization is reduced to 0-1% Raven's next release Soldier of Fortune 2 - Double Helix will also feature EAX Advanced HD via OpenAL.</b>

I must say EAX Advanced is incredible!!!!!

Now that EAX Advanced is being implemented its on! Looks like its time to join the winning team, Audigy.
Accept no immitations!!!

Athlon XP 1700+,KT266A,Geforce3, Audigy.. 'nuff said.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Thanks for the info, it's about time someone implemented Advanced HD.

I doubt it's enough to topple my GTXP, but we'll see. I'll send this on to the friends I have with Audigys and see what their opinions are.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I expected support to come much later myself. If those games have EAX Advanced HD, we can almost expect it out of Unreal 2 and Doom 3.

I'd hate to be the guy without an Audigy on those games, let alone SOF2!

FatBurger

Illustrious
That's ok, I'll let you have your say now. I know every Audigy owner on the planet has been waiting for an Advanced HD game to come out. But it's not near enough for me to change my opinion (unless when I hear it for myself it blows me away, which I highly doubt).

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
If the tech demo that came with the Audigy was any indication it is very cool. It gives me that feeling that A3D did, as far as preciseness goes. But its better than A3D.
But of course it will not die, like A3D.

FatBurger

Illustrious
People said the same thing about 3DFX, but I'd tend to agree with you.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
3dfx, dont remind me.
I miss their work, they had a bright future with some great hardware if it wasnt for some unfortunate decisions.

Like alot of companies, sucess was to much for them to handle.
What ever happened to Scott Sellars?

I dont see how ATI is competing even at the paltry level they are with Nvidia having ex-3dfx engineers.
I say bravo ati but nvidia is a mighty dragon indeed.

People who have visited Nvidia say that it is a class act of a company.

Ok back on topic.. sorry!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Back on topic? Why bother, we're the only two here, and we both know how the other feels :tongue:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, as long as the Audigy comes into the discussion, since that's where we disagree.

But what are your impressions of Advanced HD? I find it hard to believe that it'd make a huge difference.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I have yet to try it in Jedi Knight 2 (not a big star wars fan) but will give it a try if I get a chance.
A friend at work has an audigy and JK2, he was going to try it and he should be telling me what he thinks today if he got a chance to try it.

I'm more interested in a SOF2.

As far as EAX Advanced HD, the tech demo that comes with the card is very cool, the new features sound better than anything before, and I used to prefer A3D to EAX myself but both had their advantages.
I think HD is hopefully where the industry is go because I think the new efx are amazing.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Don't ever base your opinion on technology solely by demos. Well, unless all you're going to do is run the demos. It's much more important to judge it on the final product, which is also why if it sucks in JK2, it doesn't mean that it'll suck overall, or vice versa.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I usually would agree with you on that.

I would compare the impact of the Audigy demo (though the cheesy graphics didnt help) on par with my first viewing of the nvidia Werewolf.
For me, the werewolf was pretty cool.

But, :)
looks like I'm going to have to break down and try it out in the game to prove to you its good stuff. :)