Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Blue Screen
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
April 2, 2012 8:19:09 PM

Hello,

Whenever i play counter strike i get the BSOD after few minutes and the computer restarts. Could someone please assist me as to what has gone wrong.. since i was able to play the same for a really long time on the same machine. I have even tried re-installing windows but the BSOD still remains.

More about : bsod playing counter strike

April 2, 2012 8:29:40 PM

here is my laptops configuration:

Asus k42ja.
Windows7 SP1
Intel i5 M460@2.53GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730
640Gb HDD

Here is the link to the core files:

I have also tried updating the ATI drivers to the latest ones but still got the BSOD, so moved back to the old ones. Any help will be really appreciated. Thanks
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 270 $ Windows 7
April 2, 2012 8:39:19 PM

br0ken said:
Hello,

Whenever i play counter strike i get the BSOD after few minutes and the computer restarts. Could someone please assist me as to what has gone wrong.. since i was able to play the same for a really long time on the same machine. I have even tried re-installing windows but the BSOD still remains.

Hello and hopefully we can help you out. games stress computer hardware a lot so it sometime shows up something not right on our rigs. What i would suggest is some tlc for the old pc. First off open the side of the case and see if dust is clogging and of the fans and all the fans look to be spinning to speed. dust over pc parts will cause them to hold heat in..same if you have a fan that slow or stop working. easy fix is can of compressed air or someone with a shop compressor or blower. if there a fan that stop or is slow you have to replace it. if it not dust then we want to do a little house cleaning...running ccleaner to clean up any old file and a good defrag. then to check and update your sound and video card drivers...old driver and new patches can cause errors. if the drivers are up to date and it bsod i would then download and boot from a cd or usb stick memtest and run it over night to see if you have any bad ram. if the test is fine. then there may have something loaded in the background that causing the error. you can see by using mscofig and turning everything off in start up.
m
l
Related resources
April 3, 2012 4:18:26 AM

smorizio said:
Hello and hopefully we can help you out. games stress computer hardware a lot so it sometime shows up something not right on our rigs. What i would suggest is some tlc for the old pc. First off open the side of the case and see if dust is clogging and of the fans and all the fans look to be spinning to speed. dust over pc parts will cause them to hold heat in..same if you have a fan that slow or stop working. easy fix is can of compressed air or someone with a shop compressor or blower. if there a fan that stop or is slow you have to replace it. if it not dust then we want to do a little house cleaning...running ccleaner to clean up any old file and a good defrag. then to check and update your sound and video card drivers...old driver and new patches can cause errors. if the drivers are up to date and it bsod i would then download and boot from a cd or usb stick memtest and run it over night to see if you have any bad ram. if the test is fine. then there may have something loaded in the background that causing the error. you can see by using mscofig and turning everything off in start up.

Hi Smorizio,

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. However i have some doubts, probably you could help:
1. Regarding the fan thing: Apart from i also work on Photoshop and bridge which also consume a lot of processing power but they never give BSOD. Is there a way to check the Fan speed/temperature using some software as i might not be able to open the laptop on my own to check the fan. I will have to take it to service center. So was thinking if there is any alternate to that as I am not 100% sure that its a problem with fan.

2. I regularly use Ccleaner to cleanup the system, however, i have not done a disk defrag for quiet a time now. But i reinstalled windows just a week back on a formatted partition. Will give defrag a shot today.

3. I have already checked with the latest drivers for display and sound. Got them from laptop manufacturers support site, still i get the BSOD while playing.

4. Will be running memtest tonight. 6 passes would be fine?

5. About safe mode: i never get BSOD even in normal mode while doing the normal work, its just while playing CS. So not sure if safe mode would help as CS wont run in safe mode.

Your help is really appreciated.
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:03:53 AM

It is likely a driver associated with that game but to pinpoint the exact cause, we need to look at the crash dump files.

Well, to resolve the bsods being caused by your drivers, you can either try updating them or simply disabling the device. Try updating first, if that doesnt help, try disabling.

1. Click Start , and type "device manager" (without quotes) into the search field.
2. Click Device Manager from the results list.
3. In the Device Manager window that opens, double-click IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers .
4. Select the 1394 Controller.
5. Right click on it and select Update Driver software.

Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
If windows is not able to update automatically, download the updated drivers yourself and instead of letting windows search automatically, point it to the location of your downloaded drivers by selecting Browse my computer for driver software.

If you want to disable the device, then instead of selecting update driver software in step 5, choose disable.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 270 $ Windows 7
April 3, 2012 8:25:16 AM

most laptop vendor have small fan test program..i know toshiba has them for free. some laotop vendor in bios have power settings..to save power they lower or turn off fans intill the laptop hit x temp. see if there any of those settings and set the fans to come on sooner.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 3, 2012 12:49:35 PM

Whats the BSOD Stop code/Error message?
m
l
April 3, 2012 6:58:33 PM

alishathomaz said:
It is likely a driver associated with that game but to pinpoint the exact cause, we need to look at the crash dump files.

Well, to resolve the bsods being caused by your drivers, you can either try updating them or simply disabling the device. Try updating first, if that doesnt help, try disabling.

1. Click Start , and type "device manager" (without quotes) into the search field.
2. Click Device Manager from the results list.
3. In the Device Manager window that opens, double-click IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers .
4. Select the 1394 Controller.
5. Right click on it and select Update Driver software.

Select Search automatically for updated driver software.
If windows is not able to update automatically, download the updated drivers yourself and instead of letting windows search automatically, point it to the location of your downloaded drivers by selecting Browse my computer for driver software.

If you want to disable the device, then instead of selecting update driver software in step 5, choose disable.

Hey, thanks for your suggestions. I followed what you asked me to do but could not find any IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers. Instead i found the ATI Display Driver whic was outdated. I updated it and got BSOD again while playing CS.

I have zipped the core files and have shared them on skydrive. Here is the link to the same:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=d76b921002cc43...!123&parid=D76B921002CC43CB!106&authkey=!AE6CQOfxcLkU4Qs
m
l
April 3, 2012 7:03:12 PM

gamerk316 said:
Whats the BSOD Stop code/Error message?

Hi. Below are the error codes from the recent three crashes i had:

1. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntkrnlpa.exe

KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x82e666e4, 0xa7b319fc, 0x00000000)

*** ntkrnlpa.exe - Address 0x82e666e4 base at 0x82c3f000 DateStamp 0x4ec79850

2. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Npfs.SYS

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x82c826df, 0xa4f0dbf0, 0x00000000)

*** Npfs.SYS - Address 0x916adcec base at 0x916a5000 DateStamp 0x4a5bbf23

3. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: halmacpi.dll

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x1000008e (0xc0000005, 0x830349b6, 0xa7af76c8, 0x00000000)

*** halmacpi.dll - Address 0x830349b6 base at 0x8302f000 DateStamp 0x4ce788d2

I have zipped the core files for these 3 BSODs and have uploaded on skydrive. You can find them on the below link in case you need them:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d76b921002cc43cb&id=D76B...!123

Thanks!

m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 4, 2012 12:36:38 PM

Huh...At first glance, it doesn't look like a RAM problem, as I'd expect to randomly see several different BSOD messages. Neither GPU related BSOD came up either...

All the BSOD's are occuring because of some sort of memory corruption [0xC0000005 = STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION], and the fact two separate system files crashed [NTFS.sys and halmacpi.dll] farther proves that point. Could be bad RAM, but I'm leaning more towards a bad driver thats overwritting memory. And given how this seems limited to games, I'd suspect the GPU driver first. Try using a different GPU driver version for a bit.
m
l
April 9, 2012 2:21:56 PM

gamerk316 said:
Huh...At first glance, it doesn't look like a RAM problem, as I'd expect to randomly see several different BSOD messages. Neither GPU related BSOD came up either...

All the BSOD's are occuring because of some sort of memory corruption [0xC0000005 = STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION], and the fact two separate system files crashed [NTFS.sys and halmacpi.dll] farther proves that point. Could be bad RAM, but I'm leaning more towards a bad driver thats overwritting memory. And given how this seems limited to games, I'd suspect the GPU driver first. Try using a different GPU driver version for a bit.

Thanks for the reply. Here are the new updates:

1. Ran memtest for around 6 passes and found no errors.
2. Ran chkdsk and found no errors.
3. Did a disk De-fragmentation.

As smorizio mentioned in the first post; could it be an issue with laptop getting heated up? I have noticed my laptop getting pretty hot at times just before it BSODs. To verify this i installed SpeedFan and found out the temperatures to be quiet high. At the time of crash the core and GPU temps reach around 100 degrees Celsius.. is this normal?

Above is the screenshot of speedfan results while the system is running at normal load. NO gaming and all.. just firefox with few tabs...

I have also enable the driver verifier as per some article in a blog and i am uploading the latest dumps. I don't know how to read them but i am sure people here will be of help :)  All i know is that most of the BSODs are caused by ntkrnlpa.exe.

Link to the latest dumps:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=d76b921002cc43...!124&parid=root

m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
April 9, 2012 6:01:07 PM

Could be voltage/heat related, though GPU's can reach 100C [though thats about the absolute MAXIMUM they can take; I'd recommend getting those temps down, just for longevity reasons].
m
l