Help HDD Crashed

Big_C

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
Recently I restored my master boot record using Norton 2000 and now I cannot get on my PC. It looks liek Norton screwed my boot record up and when i start i get the message invalid disk.

does anybody know of any programs that I can use to recover data off my hard drive? I don't care if i ahve to go scetor by sector but i have some importnat papers I really want since my most recent back ups are a few weeks old. Thanks in advance.

AMD RULEZ!

G

Try booting to DOS with a Windows Install CD, and run CHKDSK (check disk) on the drive. Then try running scandisk from DOS. Worth a try...

Big_C

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
I recently found a virus on my PC, though it was hiddened in my memory and it wasn't a boot sector infecting virus but i decided to change my boot record back to the older one since i didn't install anything new to my PC and Norton AV said the master boot record changed, so i picked the option to restore my old boot record and boom, once i shut down my PC it wouldn't start again.

I tried the check disk then scan disk and i tried using norton disk doctor to no avail. I think i am screwed but i am hoping i'm not...

AMD RULEZ!