What is GPRS and GSM mean?

Last response: in Brands
June 24, 2004 5:12:54 PM

Could someone please tell me what GPRS and GSM mean? What is the
difference for the phone user? TIA

Tom

More about : gprs gsm

Anonymous
June 25, 2004 12:39:34 AM

Dont confuse the two.

GSM is a standard frequency network that most 2g/2.5g phones use, as
compared to PCN, which is a slightly different standard. 3g networks tend to
be UTMS or EDGE.
GPRS is a method of accessing a network, that allows an almost continuous
connection rather than requesting a connection. GPRS allows for data calls
at the same time as voice, and is therefore used predominantly for data.
When referring to GPRS, most retail networks (ie o2, t-mobile, vodaphone
etc) mean a data connection to a GSM network, however GPRS is also used for
3g data transfers, just as a higher bitrate.

Most people assume that GSM means a low bitrate connection, GPRS = faster
and 3g = even faster. Thats not the case. Read around the subject
technically and dont go by telecoms leaflets because their marketing tends
to confuse the issue.

<Wishful Thinker> wrote in message
> Could someone please tell me what GPRS and GSM mean? What is the
> difference for the phone user? TIA
>
> Tom
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 5:45:43 PM

"tHatDudeUK" <randomcharsforspammers@btinternet.com> wrote:

> (GSM) Global System for Mobile communications

Note that there is also the version with "telecommunication"
instead of "communications", and that this wording has been coined
to GSM only later, when this technology proved successful. "GSM"
initially meant "groupe spécial mobile", the name of a task force
from France Telecom who developped the structure of GSM as we know
it today.

M.
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 11:16:02 PM

On 4 Jul 2004 13:45:43 GMT, Michael Pronay <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> "tHatDudeUK" <randomcharsforspammers@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> (GSM) Global System for Mobile communications
>
> Note that there is also the version with "telecommunication"
> instead of "communications", and that this wording has been coined
> to GSM only later, when this technology proved successful. "GSM"
> initially meant "groupe spécial mobile", the name of a task force
> from France Telecom who developped the structure of GSM as we know
> it today.
Not only France Telecom, I believe, but most of the European Telecoms
operators.

--
Peter Værlien
http://varlien.home.online.no

Après mure réflexion, Peter Værlien a écrit :

> Not only France Telecom, I believe, but most of the European Telecoms
> operators.

FT was clearly one of the few leaders :-)

--
Christophe

Couverture GSM Oléron 2003
http://chantoine3.free.fr
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 9:23:27 AM

Peter Værlien <pvarlien@online.NOSPAN.no.invalid> wrote:

>> "GSM" initially meant "groupe spécial mobile", the name of a
>> task force from France Telecom who developped the structure of
>> GSM as we know it today.

> Not only France Telecom, I believe, but most of the European
> Telecoms operators.

Possible, but under the leadership of FT.

M.
!