What is GPRS and GSM mean?

Could someone please tell me what GPRS and GSM mean? What is the
difference for the phone user? TIA

Tom
6 answers Last reply
More about what gprs mean

    Dont confuse the two.

    GSM is a standard frequency network that most 2g/2.5g phones use, as
    compared to PCN, which is a slightly different standard. 3g networks tend to
    be UTMS or EDGE.
    GPRS is a method of accessing a network, that allows an almost continuous
    connection rather than requesting a connection. GPRS allows for data calls
    at the same time as voice, and is therefore used predominantly for data.
    When referring to GPRS, most retail networks (ie o2, t-mobile, vodaphone
    etc) mean a data connection to a GSM network, however GPRS is also used for
    3g data transfers, just as a higher bitrate.

    Most people assume that GSM means a low bitrate connection, GPRS = faster
    and 3g = even faster. Thats not the case. Read around the subject
    technically and dont go by telecoms leaflets because their marketing tends
    to confuse the issue.

    <Wishful Thinker> wrote in message
    > Could someone please tell me what GPRS and GSM mean? What is the
    > difference for the phone user? TIA
    >
    > Tom

    <Wishful Thinker> wrote in message
    > Could someone please tell me what GPRS and GSM mean? What is the
    > difference for the phone user? TIA
    >
    > Tom

    (GPRS) General Packet Radio Service

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=define:GPRS

    and

    (GSM) Global System for Mobile communications

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&oi=defmore&q=define:GSM

    "tHatDudeUK" <randomcharsforspammers@btinternet.com> wrote:

    > (GSM) Global System for Mobile communications

    Note that there is also the version with "telecommunication"
    instead of "communications", and that this wording has been coined
    to GSM only later, when this technology proved successful. "GSM"
    initially meant "groupe spécial mobile", the name of a task force
    from France Telecom who developped the structure of GSM as we know
    it today.

    M.

    On 4 Jul 2004 13:45:43 GMT, Michael Pronay <me@privacy.net> wrote:

    > "tHatDudeUK" <randomcharsforspammers@btinternet.com> wrote:
    >
    >> (GSM) Global System for Mobile communications
    >
    > Note that there is also the version with "telecommunication"
    > instead of "communications", and that this wording has been coined
    > to GSM only later, when this technology proved successful. "GSM"
    > initially meant "groupe spécial mobile", the name of a task force
    > from France Telecom who developped the structure of GSM as we know
    > it today.
    Not only France Telecom, I believe, but most of the European Telecoms
    operators.

    --
    Peter Værlien
    http://varlien.home.online.no

    Après mure réflexion, Peter Værlien a écrit :

    > Not only France Telecom, I believe, but most of the European Telecoms
    > operators.

    FT was clearly one of the few leaders :-)

    --
    Christophe

    Couverture GSM Oléron 2003
    http://chantoine3.free.fr

    Peter Værlien <pvarlien@online.NOSPAN.no.invalid> wrote:

    >> "GSM" initially meant "groupe spécial mobile", the name of a
    >> task force from France Telecom who developped the structure of
    >> GSM as we know it today.

    > Not only France Telecom, I believe, but most of the European
    > Telecoms operators.

    Possible, but under the leadership of FT.

    M.

Ericsson GSM Phones