Sign in with
Your question

Acer Aspire One D260 wont boot.

Last response: in Windows 7
April 3, 2012 12:04:23 AM

To Everyone,
Got a real good problem here and I need help. I've put quite a bit of detail into the description so that you can see what I've done and what I'm up against.
My 16 year old nephew has somehow hosed his netbook, which is out of warranty and which is running windows 7 starter edition. He says that prior to this current problem the system would attempt to load windows but he would get an error msg and the system would reboot on its own. (I think he got some kind virus, not the first time that this has happened.) He attempted to perform some type of recovery/restore option and now whenever he starts it the following is what happens. Kinda boots into windows and displays the following msg, setup is starting services, then error msg "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click ok to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." The system will just hang there until you click on ok and reboot. After rebooting the cycle repeats.

I believe that at this point my best option is to do a factory restore. I am able to press F2 and get into the bios settings and pressing F12 gets me to the boot order menu. However, pressing ALT+F10 locks up the system instead of getting me into the recovery menu.

I'm pretty good with computers but I'm definitly stuck on this one. His netbook doesn't have an optical drive and I don't have access to any windows 7 installation discs. I was able to make a win 7 recovery cd from my work computer and then copy those files to a usb thumb drive. I'm able to boot his netbook off of that but don't have the factory restore option on there. I can get to a command prompt and see his hard drive which has three partitions. C: which has 3 hidden files and 74 MEG of free disk space out of 102 meg total, D: has a bunch of different files and folders and 74 GIG of free disk space out of a total of 150 gig, E: has serveral files and folders on it and 4 GIGS free disk space out of a total of 14 gig.
I know how to work with the command prompt and I think that maybe there is an executable file on here that will start the factory restore process. However, I want to be very careful and not make the situation worse. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with the hardware, it's just a software issue. If anyone can help me out, I'll really appreciate it. I just want to get this kid his netbook back in working order so that he can do his homework on it and whatever he does on the internet.
Thank you.
April 2, 2013 1:16:56 AM

stucktech , did u find any suolution with your acer? can u email me at cosminrafira@yahoo.com a solution? i have the same problem
m
l
!