Record digital audio

I want to record ac3(dolby digital) audio from the sat decoder to pc.
My decoder has a RCA out ac3. How can I plug it to the pc? Can I link it
to the "aux in" of the audio and say to same software "hey, this is not
music, this is digital data!" ? Or I have to use some special hw? How
much does it costs?
Thanks and sorry for my poor english
More about record digital audio

    "MV" <tuzzoNOSPAM83@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    > I want to record ac3(dolby digital) audio from the sat decoder to pc.
    > My decoder has a RCA out ac3.

    This is a 48 KHz digital signal.

    >How can I plug it to the pc?

    Have a audio interface with a "bit perfect" digital input.

    > Can I link it to the "aux in" of the audio and say to same software "hey,
    > this
    > is not music, this is digital data!" ?

    Nope, not as a rule.

    >Or I have to use some special hw?

    Yes.

    > How much does it costs?

    Starting say about $100 - example the M-Audio AP 2496:

    http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAP2496

    "MV" <tuzzoNOSPAM83@tiscali.it> wrote in message
    >I want to record ac3(dolby digital) audio from the sat decoder to pc.
    > My decoder has a RCA out ac3. How can I plug it to the pc? Can I link it
    > to the "aux in" of the audio and say to same software "hey, this is not
    > music, this is digital data!" ? Or I have to use some special hw? How much
    > does it costs?
    > Thanks and sorry for my poor english

    I've managed to record 48kHz Dolby Digital (from an XBox) sucessfully.

    I used a Soundblaster Audigy 2 with an optical IO bracket I built, but would
    guess that the versions with a live drive would work.

    Instead of creative's standard driver, I used the kX project driver which
    allows for direct recording. To actually record the data, I used Adobe
    Audition, configured for 48kHz, 16bit Stereo.

    The file was saved as a .pcm file (raw data), and was then truncated with a
    hex editor so that it started on a frame. When renamed to *.ac3, PowerDVD
    played it quite happily, and my amp recognised it as being Dolby Digital.

    Hope this helps,

    Chris Key

Audio Decoder