New HD channels WILL require new receivers.

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
August 23, 2005 1:02:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

DIrecTv's press release proves it.

"A Boeing 702 model satellite, Spaceway F2 is identical to the Spaceway
F1 satellite, which launched April 26 from the Sea Launch platform and
will conduct commercial operations from the 102.8-degree WL orbital
slot."

No existing receiver is designed to handle the 102.8 WL slot.

Which do you think they will do first?

A) Sell every new model HD receiver they can for $500
and new HD-DVR for $1000

B) Swap out current HD receivers for new ones for free.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:02:22 AM

Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> "A Boeing 702 model satellite, Spaceway F2 is identical to the Spaceway
> F1 satellite, which launched April 26 from the Sea Launch platform and
> will conduct commercial operations from the 102.8-degree WL orbital
> slot."
>

> No existing receiver is designed to handle the 102.8 WL slot.

Actually, all the recent ones are.

Current multiswitches can't handle it, but the newer receivers all have
the hardware for the latest switching standard that allows some
unreasonable number (8, I think) of satellites.

It's not active in any receiver yet, but it's merely a matter of a firmware
update (that can be downloaded via the satellite).

So, all we would need is new multiswitches to "see" the new satellite.

Still, it's 100% certain that DirecTV will use 8PSK on all the new
transponders, there will be at least some Ka band, and at least some
MPEG-4. No current receivers can handle any of those things, so "seeing"
the satellite won't make a bit of difference.

The advantage to being able to use the new switching technology is that
you can have a legacy receiver that can get everything current but still
have it connected to the new style multiswitch along with your new MPEG-4
HD receiver.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/OverTheHedge/SportOfKings....
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 1:38:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article
<jackzwick-4B36A0.16022022082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com>,
Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote:

> DIrecTv's press release proves it.
>
> "A Boeing 702 model satellite, Spaceway F2 is identical to the Spaceway
> F1 satellite, which launched April 26 from the Sea Launch platform and
> will conduct commercial operations from the 102.8-degree WL orbital
> slot."
>

> No existing receiver is designed to handle the 102.8 WL slot.
>

> Which do you think they will do first?
>
> A) Sell every new model HD receiver they can for $500
> and new HD-DVR for $1000
>
> B) Swap out current HD receivers for new ones for free.

Further proof:

CAN I RECEIVE FOX HDTV PROGRAMMING?

There are three ways to receive FOX HDTV programming:

1. FOX HDTV programming may be available in select markets to some
DIRECTV customers who have HD equipment and a TOTAL CHOICE programming
package or the DIRECTV HD Package. The FOX HDTV programming currently
available for eligible customers is from either WNYW (New York) or KTTV
(Los Angeles), depending upon your geographic location. The select
markets where eligible customers may receive the feeds are: New York,
NY, Los Angeles, CA, Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA, Dallas,
TX, Washington D.C., Minneapolis, MN, Detroit, MI, Atlanta, GA, Houston,
TX, Tampa Bay, FL, Orlando, FL, Cleveland, OH, Phoenix, AZ, Denver, CO,
St. Louis, MO, Milwaukee, WI, Kansas City, MO, Salt Lake City, UT,
Birmingham, AL, Memphis, TN, Greensboro, NC, and Austin, TX. If you
cannot see a picture on channel 88 or 89, and you live in one of these
markets, you may need to obtain a waiver from one or more non-local FOX
affiliates. This can take up to 45 days to process.

Please note, that in the near future, DIRECTV will be launching new
state-of-the-art satellites to deliver HD local channel feeds from
additional markets. When local HD channels launch in your market, you
may no longer be able to see the New York and Los Angeles programming
feeds, and a new dish and HD receiver will be required to see your local
market HD channels.

http://www.directv.com/see/landing/fox_hd.html
August 23, 2005 4:06:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d742bba7e61820a989f49@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > "A Boeing 702 model satellite, Spaceway F2 is identical to the Spaceway
> > F1 satellite, which launched April 26 from the Sea Launch platform and
> > will conduct commercial operations from the 102.8-degree WL orbital
> > slot."
> >

> > No existing receiver is designed to handle the 102.8 WL slot.
>
> Actually, all the recent ones are.
>
> Current multiswitches can't handle it, but the newer receivers all have
> the hardware for the latest switching standard that allows some
> unreasonable number (8, I think) of satellites.
>
> It's not active in any receiver yet, but it's merely a matter of a firmware
> update (that can be downloaded via the satellite).

Even if thats the case you cant get a firmware upgrade to do MPEG4,
as with the slow processors of DirecTv units you need dedicated hardware
-
i.e. new receivers.

> So, all we would need is new multiswitches to "see" the new satellite.
>
> Still, it's 100% certain that DirecTV will use 8PSK on all the new
> transponders, there will be at least some Ka band, and at least some
> MPEG-4. No current receivers can handle any of those things, so "seeing"
> the satellite won't make a bit of difference.
>
> The advantage to being able to use the new switching technology is that
> you can have a legacy receiver that can get everything current but still
> have it connected to the new style multiswitch along with your new MPEG-4
> HD receiver.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 4:07:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> Even if thats the case you cant get a firmware upgrade to do MPEG4,
> as with the slow processors of DirecTv units you need dedicated hardware

Which I said later in the post, and which everybody knew a *long* time ago.

Old receivers couldn't possibly handle Ka band, MPEG-4, or 8PSK, but
luckily some foresight allows them to still keep doing what they do now
alongside the new equipment.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/GiantWate...
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:45:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d744677772d2b46989f4b@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > Even if thats the case you cant get a firmware upgrade to do MPEG4,
> > as with the slow processors of DirecTv units you need dedicated hardware
>
> Which I said later in the post, and which everybody knew a *long* time ago.
>
> Old receivers couldn't possibly handle Ka band, MPEG-4, or 8PSK, but
> luckily some foresight allows them to still keep doing what they do now
> alongside the new equipment.

But DirecTv lies to customers and says they're working on a "software"
upgrade for MPEG4.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:45:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > Old receivers couldn't possibly handle Ka band, MPEG-4, or 8PSK, but
> > luckily some foresight allows them to still keep doing what they do now
> > alongside the new equipment.
>
> But DirecTv lies to customers and says they're working on a "software"
> upgrade for MPEG4.

Other than CSRs (who can't even accurately tell you how much HBO costs),
there hasn't been any statement of this from any DirecTV employee.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/Pickles/Adoration.gif
August 23, 2005 6:09:15 AM

"Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <MPG.1d744677772d2b46989f4b@news.nabs.net>,
> Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:
>
>> Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
>> > Even if thats the case you cant get a firmware upgrade to do MPEG4,
>> > as with the slow processors of DirecTv units you need dedicated
>> > hardware
>>
>> Which I said later in the post, and which everybody knew a *long* time
>> ago.
>>
>> Old receivers couldn't possibly handle Ka band, MPEG-4, or 8PSK, but
>> luckily some foresight allows them to still keep doing what they do now
>> alongside the new equipment.
>
> But DirecTv lies to customers and says they're working on a "software"
> upgrade for MPEG4.

Be slow to attribute to malice what can be simply explained by ignorance or
stupidity.

Pat
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:49:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <fzvOe.647$rS4.619@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>,
"Greywolf" <greywolfin45@*spamisbad*sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <MPG.1d744677772d2b46989f4b@news.nabs.net>,
> > Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> >> Which I said later in the post, and which everybody knew a *long* time
> >> ago.
> >>
> >> Old receivers couldn't possibly handle Ka band, MPEG-4, or 8PSK, but
> >> luckily some foresight allows them to still keep doing what they do now
> >> alongside the new equipment.
> >
> > But DirecTv lies to customers and says they're working on a "software"
> > upgrade for MPEG4.
>
> Be slow to attribute to malice what can be simply explained by ignorance or
> stupidity.
>
> Pat

If reps are instructed to tell the falsehood that software upgrades are
in the works, what conclusion should one come to?
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:50:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d745ca3a6045c3c989f4c@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > > Old receivers couldn't possibly handle Ka band, MPEG-4, or 8PSK, but
> > > luckily some foresight allows them to still keep doing what they do now
> > > alongside the new equipment.
> >
> > But DirecTv lies to customers and says they're working on a "software"
> > upgrade for MPEG4.
>
> Other than CSRs (who can't even accurately tell you how much HBO costs),
> there hasn't been any statement of this from any DirecTV employee.

EVERY rep I've talked to has been instructed to say the software story.
August 23, 2005 7:51:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

You sound like a cable commercial. I've learned that nothing is perfect and
any of these formats can be nitpicked to death.

A person - such as I - would never buy new technology if we nitpicked it to
death. There will always be something new and better coming along and it
won't get here soon enough.

We've been hearing about HDTV for 20 years. Why should they race to put out
Buggy service when most people are still buying $200 to $300 analog sets?

I want things to speed up just as much as the next guy, but I know tht
miracles are hard to come by.

Sorry for the rant.

> In article <MPG.1d745ca3a6045c3c989f4c@news.nabs.net>,
> Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

>> > But DirecTv lies to customers and says they're working on a "software"
>> > upgrade for MPEG4.
>>
>> Other than CSRs (who can't even accurately tell you how much HBO costs),
>> there hasn't been any statement of this from any DirecTV employee.
>
> EVERY rep I've talked to has been instructed to say the software story.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 7:51:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > Other than CSRs (who can't even accurately tell you how much HBO costs),
> > there hasn't been any statement of this from any DirecTV employee.
>
> EVERY rep I've talked to has been instructed to say the software story.

Since this isn't official in any way, it really makes no difference. You
have no way of knowing that they haven't decided to mess with you and tell
you this every time, and tell the truth to everybody else.

--
Jeff Rife | "You are now dead. Thank you for using Stop and
| Drop, America's favorite Suicide Booth since
| 2008."
| -- "Futurama"
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 12:50:52 PM

> Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
>> > Other than CSRs (who can't even accurately tell you how much HBO
>> > costs),
>> > there hasn't been any statement of this from any DirecTV employee.
>>
>> EVERY rep I've talked to has been instructed to say the software story.
>
> Since this isn't official in any way, it really makes no difference. You
> have no way of knowing that they haven't decided to mess with you and tell
> you this every time, and tell the truth to everybody else.

I'm sorry if this has been asked & answered before, but does anyone know (or
can speculate) whether the new DTV HD box will be TiVo-based or some yucky
proprietary system?
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:35:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d746f16a4711699989f4d@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > > Other than CSRs (who can't even accurately tell you how much HBO costs),
> > > there hasn't been any statement of this from any DirecTV employee.
> >
> > EVERY rep I've talked to has been instructed to say the software story.
>
> Since this isn't official in any way, it really makes no difference. You
> have no way of knowing that they haven't decided to mess with you and tell
> you this every time, and tell the truth to everybody else.

Since 5 reps and 3 supervisors have each told me that DirecTv is
planning a software upgrade for current receiver to do MPEG4,
I will not make excuses for them like you do.

It's a big lie.

It certainly isn't official that DirecTv will provide free hardware
upgrades when the new HD channels come online. Or can you provide an
authoritative URL that says they will?
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:36:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <hlxOe.9713$1g2.1881@fe05.lga>,
"JTS" <jtshellnc@charter.net> wrote:

> You sound like a cable commercial. I've learned that nothing is perfect and
> any of these formats can be nitpicked to death.
>
> A person - such as I - would never buy new technology if we nitpicked it to
> death. There will always be something new and better coming along and it
> won't get here soon enough.
>
> We've been hearing about HDTV for 20 years. Why should they race to put out
> Buggy service when most people are still buying $200 to $300 analog sets?
>
> I want things to speed up just as much as the next guy, but I know tht
> miracles are hard to come by.
>
> Sorry for the rant.

That's the first time I've ever been accused of being pro-cable. I hate
the cable companies. But that doesn't excuse the misinformation DirecTv
is passing out about the future of HD programming.
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 6:43:42 PM

Once upon a time, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> said:
>Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
>> But DirecTv lies to customers and says they're working on a "software"
>> upgrade for MPEG4.

Care to cite a source for this?

>Other than CSRs (who can't even accurately tell you how much HBO costs),
>there hasn't been any statement of this from any DirecTV employee.

Heh, a cow-orker got an HD TiVo yesterday and the rep he talked to when
activating it told him there was no HD HBO!

Face it, call center staff is basically clueless; it isn't necessarily
that they are stupid or that the lack of clue is their fault - turnover
rates are high so training is minimal. Taking comments from them as
statements of the company is stupid.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams@hiwaay.net>
August 23, 2005 7:34:19 PM

> In article <MPG.1d742bba7e61820a989f49@news.nabs.net>,
> Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

>> Current multiswitches can't handle it, but the newer receivers all
>> have the hardware for the latest switching standard that allows some
>> unreasonable number (8, I think) of satellites.
>>
>> It's not active in any receiver yet, but it's merely a matter of a
>> firmware update (that can be downloaded via the satellite).
>

> Even if thats the case you cant get a firmware upgrade to do MPEG4,
> as with the slow processors of DirecTv units you need dedicated
> hardware -
> i.e. new receivers.

MPEG4 isn't the point. the point is that, in theory, recent receiver
scould tune to the Ka saltellite, despite not being able "play" the
progrmming on it.

>> So, all we would need is new multiswitches to "see" the new
>> satellite.
>>
>> Still, it's 100% certain that DirecTV will use 8PSK on all the new
>> transponders, there will be at least some Ka band, and at least some
>> MPEG-4. No current receivers can handle any of those things, so
>> "seeing" the satellite won't make a bit of difference.
>>
>> The advantage to being able to use the new switching technology is
>> that you can have a legacy receiver that can get everything current
>> but still have it connected to the new style multiswitch along with
>> your new MPEG-4 HD receiver.

Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:09:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <11gmdguimk08b88@corp.supernews.com>,
cmadams@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:

> Once upon a time, Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> said:
> >Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> >> But DirecTv lies to customers and says they're working on a "software"
> >> upgrade for MPEG4.
>
> Care to cite a source for this?

Call up and ask any rep to read your what they're told to tell you about
MPEG4
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 10:09:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <430b37c0$0$63497$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net>,
"kjhjhjhj" <invalid@invalid.not> wrote:

> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> EVERY rep I've talked to has been instructed to say the software story.
> >
> > Since this isn't official in any way, it really makes no difference. You
> > have no way of knowing that they haven't decided to mess with you and tell
> > you this every time, and tell the truth to everybody else.
>
> I'm sorry if this has been asked & answered before, but does anyone know (or
> can speculate) whether the new DTV HD box will be TiVo-based or some yucky
> proprietary system?

Not TiVo.
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 4:16:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> shaped the electrons to say:
>If reps are instructed to tell the falsehood that software upgrades are
>in the works, what conclusion should one come to?

Having worked in support in the past... how do you know the reps
aren't just blowing it out their ass or mis-understanding the info
they've been given?

I saw co-workers making up complete bullshit just to finish a call
more than once.

Yes, sometimes corporations tell employees to lie - it happened to me
- but that's more the exception than the rule.

-MZ
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men" 508-852-2171
<URL:http://www.megazone.org/&gt; <URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/&gt; Eris
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:08:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <newscache$34apli$z4a1$1@sidehack.gweep.net>,
newsREMOVE@THISmegazone.org (MegaZone) wrote:

> Jack Zwick <jackzwick@yahoo.com> shaped the electrons to say:
> >If reps are instructed to tell the falsehood that software upgrades are
> >in the works, what conclusion should one come to?
>
> Having worked in support in the past... how do you know the reps
> aren't just blowing it out their ass or mis-understanding the info
> they've been given?
>
> I saw co-workers making up complete bullshit just to finish a call
> more than once.
>
> Yes, sometimes corporations tell employees to lie - it happened to me
> - but that's more the exception than the rule.

Welcome to your exception then.

Two big lies.

1. Software upgrade for MPEG4.

2. TiVo price increase cause DirecTv is paying them more now.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:36:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

They will swap out existing HD receivers for free and will probably have to
provide new dishes along with it.

DTV will be handling this themselves, they're already putting together the
manpower to do the swap.

It will take months.

> DIrecTv's press release proves it.
>
> "A Boeing 702 model satellite, Spaceway F2 is identical to the Spaceway
> F1 satellite, which launched April 26 from the Sea Launch platform and
> will conduct commercial operations from the 102.8-degree WL orbital
> slot."
>

> No existing receiver is designed to handle the 102.8 WL slot.
>

> Which do you think they will do first?
>
> A) Sell every new model HD receiver they can for $500
> and new HD-DVR for $1000
>
> B) Swap out current HD receivers for new ones for free.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 6:53:45 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <__qdnYkINOtSKJLeRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
<agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:

> They will swap out existing HD receivers for free and will probably have to
> provide new dishes along with it.

And the URL for that is where?

> DTV will be handling this themselves, they're already putting together the
> manpower to do the swap.
>
> It will take months.
>
> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > DIrecTv's press release proves it.
> >
> > "A Boeing 702 model satellite, Spaceway F2 is identical to the Spaceway
> > F1 satellite, which launched April 26 from the Sea Launch platform and
> > will conduct commercial operations from the 102.8-degree WL orbital
> > slot."
> >

> > No existing receiver is designed to handle the 102.8 WL slot.
> >

> > Which do you think they will do first?
> >
> > A) Sell every new model HD receiver they can for $500
> > and new HD-DVR for $1000
> >
> > B) Swap out current HD receivers for new ones for free.
August 28, 2005 6:10:11 PM

* Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> In article <430b37c0$0$63497$892e7fe2@authen.white.readfreenews.net>,
> "kjhjhjhj" <invalid@invalid.not> wrote:

>> "Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message

>> > Since this isn't official in any way, it really makes no difference. You
>> > have no way of knowing that they haven't decided to mess with you and tell
>> > you this every time, and tell the truth to everybody else.

>> I'm sorry if this has been asked & answered before, but does anyone know (or
>> can speculate) whether the new DTV HD box will be TiVo-based or some yucky
>> proprietary system?

> Not TiVo.

You neglected to mention if you KNOW that or if its speculation, here,
I'll help, its speculation. Since they dont have one yet, knowing what the
OS will be based on can be nothing more.
--
David
Are there those in the land of the brave

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

* Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> In article <__qdnYkINOtSKJLeRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
> <agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:

>> They will swap out existing HD receivers for free and will probably have to
>> provide new dishes along with it.

> And the URL for that is where?

So it OK for you to litter the thread with speculation but when you see
someone else do the same its "link?" time huh?

--
David
The only thing cheaper than hardware is talk.

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <bqs8u2x169.ln2@news.gates-of-hell.com>,
SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

> * Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > In article <__qdnYkINOtSKJLeRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
> > <agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >> They will swap out existing HD receivers for free and will probably have
> >> provide new dishes along with it.
>
> > And the URL for that is where?
>
> So it OK for you to litter the thread with speculation but when you see
> someone else do the same its "link?" time huh?

Us TiVo lovers have been closing watching DirecTv's games with DVRs.
August 28, 2005 8:57:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

* Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> In article <bqs8u2x169.ln2@news.gates-of-hell.com>,
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

>> * Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

>> > And the URL for that is where?

>> So it OK for you to litter the thread with speculation but when you see
>> someone else do the same its "link?" time huh?

> Us TiVo lovers have been closing watching DirecTv's games with DVRs.

I am a Tivo lover and a DTV customer and have concerned myself with none
of the above, please don't lump us all in the same category.
--
David
It's computer hardware, of course it's worth having <g>

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <rs79u2xodc.ln2@news.gates-of-hell.com>,
SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

> * Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > In article <bqs8u2x169.ln2@news.gates-of-hell.com>,
> > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

> >> So it OK for you to litter the thread with speculation but when you see
> >> someone else do the same its "link?" time huh?
>
> > Us TiVo lovers have been closing watching DirecTv's games with DVRs.
>
> I am a Tivo lover and a DTV customer and have concerned myself with none
> of the above, please don't lump us all in the same category.

You're bragging about being inattentive?
August 28, 2005 9:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.ptv.tivo.]
* Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> In article <rs79u2xodc.ln2@news.gates-of-hell.com>,
> SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

>> * Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

>> > Us TiVo lovers have been closing watching DirecTv's games with DVRs.

>> I am a Tivo lover and a DTV customer and have concerned myself with none
>> of the above, please don't lump us all in the same category.

> You're bragging about being inattentive?

Tell me again why I should care? I have long ago recouped the cost
associated with my Dtivo, Arguably, DTV has lost money on me as I
ordered the smaller versions and hacked them to increase space and
features. regardless of what happens I've lost nothing. I am not being
inattentive, there is simply no reason to be attentive to something I
have no control over and the results of which are trivial.

I don't go and call DTV's customer service to test their knowledge and
claim that they are lying or clueless because it has no effect on my TV
watching or Tivo use. If and or when the time comes where I need to
worry about it I will make my decision based on what is available, not
on what I believe should be available or what some $9/hour CSR tells me.

You should read Stephen Covey's book 7 Habits, perhaps then you will
understand.

--
David
A waist is a terrible thing to mind.

In article <k2a9u2x61d.ln2@news.gates-of-hell.com>,
SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

> ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.video.ptv.tivo.]
> * Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> > In article <rs79u2xodc.ln2@news.gates-of-hell.com>,
> > SINNER <99nesorjd@gates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:

> >> I am a Tivo lover and a DTV customer and have concerned myself with none
> >> of the above, please don't lump us all in the same category.
>
> > You're bragging about being inattentive?
>
> Tell me again why I should care? I have long ago recouped the cost
> associated with my Dtivo, Arguably, DTV has lost money on me as I
> ordered the smaller versions and hacked them to increase space and
> features. regardless of what happens I've lost nothing. I am not being
> inattentive, there is simply no reason to be attentive to something I
> have no control over and the results of which are trivial.
>
> I don't go and call DTV's customer service to test their knowledge and
> claim that they are lying or clueless because it has no effect on my TV
> watching or Tivo use. If and or when the time comes where I need to
> worry about it I will make my decision based on what is available, not
> on what I believe should be available or what some $9/hour CSR tells me.
>
> You should read Stephen Covey's book 7 Habits, perhaps then you will
> understand.

OK, miss out on HDTV and see if I care.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:24:25 PM

>>>You're bragging about being inattentive?
>>
>>Tell me again why I should care? I have long ago recouped the cost
>>associated with my Dtivo, Arguably, DTV has lost money on me as I
>>ordered the smaller versions and hacked them to increase space and
>>features. regardless of what happens I've lost nothing. I am not being
>>inattentive, there is simply no reason to be attentive to something I
>>have no control over and the results of which are trivial.
>>
>>I don't go and call DTV's customer service to test their knowledge and
>>claim that they are lying or clueless because it has no effect on my TV
>>watching or Tivo use. If and or when the time comes where I need to
>>worry about it I will make my decision based on what is available, not
>>on what I believe should be available or what some $9/hour CSR tells me.
>>
>>You should read Stephen Covey's book 7 Habits, perhaps then you will
>>understand.
>

> OK, miss out on HDTV and see if I care.

Or maybe he's willing to sit back and enjoy what he has and choose the
best option once more options are available. Seems much more productive
that a lot of pointless speculation. These are the facts (not all of
which are verifiable by URL, but are pretty well known from multiple
sources):

- Directv will be offering a non-Tivo DVR at some point in the future.
(release date unknown, and several speculated dates have come and gone)

- Directv is raising their DVR subscription rates from 4.99 to 5.99, but
existing subscriptions are so far exempt.

- Directv will be implementing MPEG-4 KA band video transmissions, but
as of yet have nothing in *production* to display them on. Only the
localized beams will be using the new transmission technology, so old
current recievers will still be able to use the national beams. No "turn
on" or availability date has been announced.

All else is speculation and attempts at using deductive logic to
conclusions. Directv has not said how they will handle customer-owned
equipment once the new bands go production. Will they swap them out?
For free or at reduced cost? Will they discontinue the Tivo models
and/or stop service to them? Seems doubtful to me, but that's just
speculation. Might as well just wait and see. Me, I want a cable card
2.0 dual tuner HD SA Tivo with component and HDMI outputs and 5.1
digital sound, so I can have my cake and eat it too ;-).

Randy S.
August 28, 2005 11:24:25 PM

* Jack Zwick wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:

[...]

> OK, miss out on HDTV and see if I care.

Considering my current TV would not display the signal, nothing that
DirecTV does will have any effect on my TV viewing.
--
David
"I just want to be a good engineer."

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

No URL, take it for what it's worth from a satellite dealer of some 20 years
who has some pretty good inside contacts.

Believe it or not, your choice.

> In article <__qdnYkINOtSKJLeRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
> <agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> They will swap out existing HD receivers for free and will probably have
>> provide new dishes along with it.
>
> And the URL for that is where?
>

>> DTV will be handling this themselves, they're already putting together
>> the
>> manpower to do the swap.
>>
>> It will take months.
>>
>> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > DIrecTv's press release proves it.
>> >
>> > "A Boeing 702 model satellite, Spaceway F2 is identical to the Spaceway
>> > F1 satellite, which launched April 26 from the Sea Launch platform and
>> > will conduct commercial operations from the 102.8-degree WL orbital
>> > slot."
>> >

>> > No existing receiver is designed to handle the 102.8 WL slot.
>> >

>> > Which do you think they will do first?
>> >
>> > A) Sell every new model HD receiver they can for $500
>> > and new HD-DVR for $1000
>> >
>> > B) Swap out current HD receivers for new ones for free.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:27:23 AM

Randy S. (rswitt@NOSPAM.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
> - Directv will be implementing MPEG-4 KA band video transmissions, but
> as of yet have nothing in *production* to display them on. Only the
> localized beams will be using the new transmission technology, so old
> current recievers will still be able to use the national beams.

This is not quite true. *New* HD channels will likely use Ka/MPEG-4
regardless of whether they are spot beam or not.

But, existing MPEG-2 HDTV channels won't be turned off any time soon, so
old receivers will have the same functionality they have now.

--
Jeff Rife | "Hey, Brain, what do you wanna do tonight?"

| "The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
| try to take over the world."
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 8:38:36 AM

In article <lfqdnaTDk9kS7I_eRVn-jw@comcast.com>, agnesspor@comcast.net writes:
| No URL, take it for what it's worth from a satellite dealer of some 20 years
| who has some pretty good inside contacts.

Do you happen to know if the swap will depend on having particular subscription
packages?

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

| > In article <__qdnYkINOtSKJLeRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
| > <agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:
| >
| >> They will swap out existing HD receivers for free and will probably have
| >> provide new dishes along with it.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 10:40:35 AM

Jeff Rife wrote:
> Randy S. (rswitt@NOSPAM.com) wrote in alt.video.ptv.tivo:
>
>>- Directv will be implementing MPEG-4 KA band video transmissions, but
>>as of yet have nothing in *production* to display them on. Only the
>>localized beams will be using the new transmission technology, so old
>>current recievers will still be able to use the national beams.
>

> This is not quite true. *New* HD channels will likely use Ka/MPEG-4
> regardless of whether they are spot beam or not.
>
> But, existing MPEG-2 HDTV channels won't be turned off any time soon, so
> old receivers will have the same functionality they have now.

Ok, Thanks Jeff, you're more privy to these things then I am ;-).
Fortunately, the general points still hold.

Randy S.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:33:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <lfqdnaTDk9kS7I_eRVn-jw@comcast.com>,
<agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:

> No URL, take it for what it's worth from a satellite dealer of some 20 years
> who has some pretty good inside contacts.
>
> Believe it or not, your choice.

No logical reason to keep it a secret, or lose sales by refusing to put
it in writing.

Amd mo reason to believe an uunvalidated tale from a dealer with a
vested interest in having one believe his tale.

> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <__qdnYkINOtSKJLeRVn-qA@comcast.com>,
> > <agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> They will swap out existing HD receivers for free and will probably have
> >> provide new dishes along with it.
> >
> > And the URL for that is where?
> >

> >> DTV will be handling this themselves, they're already putting together
> >> the
> >> manpower to do the swap.
> >>
> >> It will take months.
> >>
> >> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 29, 2005 3:01:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

You are overlooking the fact that most receivers can take software
upgrades.

--Gary
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:06:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <4315eb8f.46747777@news.west.earthlink.net>,
gdavisloop@earthlink.net (Gary Davis) wrote:

> You are overlooking the fact that most receivers can take software
> upgrades.

And which orbital slot will they then abandon? AND THEY WOULD LACK MPEG4
HARDWARE IN ANY EVENT.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 7:19:33 AM

Gary Davis wrote:

> You are overlooking the fact that most receivers can take software
> upgrades.

But software upgrades don't help if it takes new hardware to
receive channels in a different frequency band.
-Joe
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

What "vested" interest will I possibly have?

DTV is going to do the changeouts themselves, I won't be in the loop.

If you think for one second that DTV is going to let paying customers
hanging with no access to the programming with all the competition out there
you're more clueless than I give you credit for.

> In article <lfqdnaTDk9kS7I_eRVn-jw@comcast.com>,
> <agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> No URL, take it for what it's worth from a satellite dealer of some 20
>> years
>> who has some pretty good inside contacts.
>>
>> Believe it or not, your choice.
>
> No logical reason to keep it a secret, or lose sales by refusing to put
> it in writing.
>
> Amd mo reason to believe an uunvalidated tale from a dealer with a
> vested interest in having one believe his tale.
>

>> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > And the URL for that is where?

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:53:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

What I was told is that any ACTIVE HiDef unit will be swapped. SOME areas
will need new dishes -- presumably for hi def locals.
There MAY be a total of five satellite locations that will have to be
accessed by this rumored antenna upgrade.

BTW, as it stands now the local dealer (me) will NOT be in the swapout loop.
It will be handled by DTV inhouse. I kind of doubt that this will stand or
it will take months if not years to get to everyone.

"Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
> In article <lfqdnaTDk9kS7I_eRVn-jw@comcast.com>, agnesspor@comcast.net
> writes:
> | No URL, take it for what it's worth from a satellite dealer of some 20
> years
> | who has some pretty good inside contacts.
>
> Do you happen to know if the swap will depend on having particular
> subscription
> packages?
>
> Dan Lanciani
> ddl@danlan.*com

> have
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:42:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <uqednXkS_JcHAIneRVn-iA@comcast.com>,
"AGN" <agnesspor1234@comcast.net> wrote:

> What I was told is that any ACTIVE HiDef unit will be swapped. SOME areas
> will need new dishes -- presumably for hi def locals.
> There MAY be a total of five satellite locations that will have to be
> accessed by this rumored antenna upgrade.

Anytime I hear such stuff from a DirecTv rep, I ask for it in writing,
and they quickly change the subject.

> BTW, as it stands now the local dealer (me) will NOT be in the swapout loop.
> It will be handled by DTV inhouse. I kind of doubt that this will stand or
> it will take months if not years to get to everyone.
>

> "Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message
> > In article <lfqdnaTDk9kS7I_eRVn-jw@comcast.com>, agnesspor@comcast.net
> > writes:
> > | No URL, take it for what it's worth from a satellite dealer of some 20
> > years
> > | who has some pretty good inside contacts.
> >
> > Do you happen to know if the swap will depend on having particular
> > subscription
> > packages?
> >
> > Dan Lanciani
> > ddl@danlan.*com

> > have
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:43:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <dImdnVm0d4YLAYneRVn-jg@comcast.com>,
"AGN" <agnesspor1234@comcast.net> wrote:

> What "vested" interest will I possibly have?
>
> DTV is going to do the changeouts themselves, I won't be in the loop.
>
> If you think for one second that DTV is going to let paying customers
> hanging with no access to the programming with all the competition out there
> you're more clueless than I give you credit for.

If you think Dtv will instantly swap out old units for new $1000 units,
you are the one dreaming.

> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <lfqdnaTDk9kS7I_eRVn-jw@comcast.com>,
> > <agnesspor@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> No URL, take it for what it's worth from a satellite dealer of some 20
> >> years
> >> who has some pretty good inside contacts.
> >>
> >> Believe it or not, your choice.
> >
> > No logical reason to keep it a secret, or lose sales by refusing to put
> > it in writing.
> >
> > Amd mo reason to believe an uunvalidated tale from a dealer with a
> > vested interest in having one believe his tale.
> >

> >> "Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:43:50 PM

On 08/30/2005 2:43 PM, Jack Zwick pondered briefly and then wrote:

> In article <dImdnVm0d4YLAYneRVn-jg@comcast.com>,
> "AGN" <agnesspor1234@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> What "vested" interest will I possibly have?
>>
>> DTV is going to do the changeouts themselves, I won't be in the loop.
>>
>> If you think for one second that DTV is going to let paying customers
>> hanging with no access to the programming with all the competition out there
>> you're more clueless than I give you credit for.
>
> If you think Dtv will instantly swap out old units for new $1000 units,
> you are the one dreaming.

Not a dream at all. Most informed sources believe the upgrade will be
done at a very minimal cost to the subscriber if any all. There will
likely be a 2 year subscription commitment requirement, however. There's
a recent thread (and many others) over on the AVS boards about this.
--
Steve
http://www.soundclick.com/rockermann

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> If you think Dtv will instantly swap out old units for new $1000 units,
> you are the one dreaming.

No, they probably won't, but if you have a $1000 DirecTV receiver (and there
is only one), you are going to get something with equivalent features, just
like those with $80 receivers get devices with equivalent features.

In this case, *only* current HDTV users are affected...anybody new can pay
for the receiver (although likely at a typical committment-based discount).

For the current users, a non-DVR HDTV receiver might get replaced with
something that only costs $200 for "new" users, but as long as it does
everything that the receiver for which they paid $450-600 does, I don't see
any problem.

--
Jeff Rife | "These are not scraps. These are historic
| remains of a once-great society of hair."
|
| -- George Costanza
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 12:39:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <1125432290.8c7cd3e643488f05bc6cc29600d1e700@teranews>,
"Steve M. Mann" <rockermann@LOOSEITsteve-mann.com> wrote:

> On 08/30/2005 2:43 PM, Jack Zwick pondered briefly and then wrote:
>
> > In article <dImdnVm0d4YLAYneRVn-jg@comcast.com>,
> > "AGN" <agnesspor1234@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> What "vested" interest will I possibly have?
> >>
> >> DTV is going to do the changeouts themselves, I won't be in the loop.
> >>
> >> If you think for one second that DTV is going to let paying customers
> >> hanging with no access to the programming with all the competition out
> >> there
> >> you're more clueless than I give you credit for.
> >
> > If you think Dtv will instantly swap out old units for new $1000 units,
> > you are the one dreaming.
>
> Not a dream at all. Most informed sources believe the upgrade will be
> done at a very minimal cost to the subscriber if any all. There will
> likely be a 2 year subscription commitment requirement, however. There's
> a recent thread (and many others) over on the AVS boards about this.

Nice try. Now produce a URL for your "informed source" - you?

The folks at the AVS boards are all guessing, as am I as DirecTv refuses
to say.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:53:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

In article <MPG.1d7ea7a5d859bf11989f5f@news.nabs.net>,
Jeff Rife <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote:

> Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > If you think Dtv will instantly swap out old units for new $1000 units,
> > you are the one dreaming.
>
> No, they probably won't, but if you have a $1000 DirecTV receiver (and there
> is only one), you are going to get something with equivalent features, just
> like those with $80 receivers get devices with equivalent features.

Again, just a guess on your part. There has been zero written
authoritatively by DirecTv. Anytime any rep promises a free swap out, I
ask for it in writing. Nothing in writing yet from DirecTv.

> In this case, *only* current HDTV users are affected...anybody new can pay
> for the receiver (although likely at a typical committment-based discount).
>
> For the current users, a non-DVR HDTV receiver might get replaced with
> something that only costs $200 for "new" users, but as long as it does
> everything that the receiver for which they paid $450-600 does, I don't see
> any problem.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:53:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

Jack Zwick (jackzwick@yahoo.com) wrote in rec.video.satellite.dbs:
> > No, they probably won't, but if you have a $1000 DirecTV receiver (and there
> > is only one), you are going to get something with equivalent features, just
> > like those with $80 receivers get devices with equivalent features.
>
> Again, just a guess on your part.

Based on historical data.

DirecTV has *always* replaced equipment for free when they change
technology in such a way that old equipment can no longer be used to
receive channels. When multiple satellite locations came up, receivers
and dishes were replaced for free.

In addition, DirecTV has always been glad to give away equipment when
not doing so would reduce the amount of money a customer could pay DirecTV.
Thus, multiswitches are given away for people who want to add more
receivers to their accounts (I almost expect to see them in CrackerJack
boxes at this point). Before the dish had a integrated multiswitch, people
who moved from a round dish to an elliptical to get HD were give both the
dish *and* a multiswitch.

> There has been zero written
> authoritatively by DirecTv. Anytime any rep promises a free swap out, I
> ask for it in writing. Nothing in writing yet from DirecTv.

And, there will be nothing. If we ever do see anything, it won't be as
detailed and specific as you seem to want.

Again, this is based on historical data. Previous equipment swaps were
not announced like "trade in a Hughes E86 receiver and get a Sony HD200".
They just happen, with no official statement. There are internal
guidelines, but by making nothing truly "official", it allows DirecTV to
fudge a bit to reward good (or just loud) customers. Thus, maybe *my* HD
receiver will be replaced with a 400GB MPEG-4 DVR, while *your* HD
receiver only gets you a 200GB MPEG-4 DVR.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/RhymesWithOrange/Recycling...
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 2:53:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo,rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.dbs.directv (More info?)

> Again, this is based on historical data. Previous equipment swaps were
> not announced like "trade in a Hughes E86 receiver and get a Sony HD200".
> They just happen, with no official statement. There are internal
> guidelines, but by making nothing truly "official", it allows DirecTV to
> fudge a bit to reward good (or just loud) customers. Thus, maybe *my* HD
> receiver will be replaced with a 400GB MPEG-4 DVR, while *your* HD
> receiver only gets you a 200GB MPEG-4 DVR.

It also allows them to get away with *not* replacing equipment for
people who don't ask for it. There's a lot of people out there who pay
full sticker price for new cars too, you know.

Randy S.
!