Bluetooth Net Access

Last response: in Brands
June 26, 2004 11:18:34 PM

I hope this is the correct group for questions about the Sony Ericcson Z600

I've got a home network, a mixture of wireless and wired accessing an adsl
router.

I've just bought a usb bluetooth adapter for my laptop running XP home, now
I would like to give the Z600 access to my adsl connection but I am
presently a bit confused as to what type of connection to set up.

It seems to offer GSM which requires phone numbers or GPRS which I don't
think is required.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction for this?

I appreciate I may have to bridge one of my NICs with the bluetooth device.

Geoff Lane

More about : bluetooth net access

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 11:18:35 PM

"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
| I hope this is the correct group for questions about the Sony Ericcson
Z600

| I've got a home network, a mixture of wireless and wired accessing an adsl
| router.
|
| I've just bought a usb bluetooth adapter for my laptop running XP home,
now
| I would like to give the Z600 access to my adsl connection but I am
| presently a bit confused as to what type of connection to set up.
|
| It seems to offer GSM which requires phone numbers or GPRS which I don't
| think is required.
|
| Anyone able to point me in the right direction for this?
|
| I appreciate I may have to bridge one of my NICs with the bluetooth
device.

| Geoff Lane

You can't. The connection types you asked about are for connecting the
notebook to the internet using the phone, not the other way around.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 6:07:31 PM

I'm not sure for Z600 but on p900 works like this.
Create a dummy GPRS account then create a serial BT connection between phone
and yor laptop and then try to start yor browser on the phone with the dummy
account. It works also with infrared.

Mario

"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I hope this is the correct group for questions about the Sony Ericcson
Z600

> I've got a home network, a mixture of wireless and wired accessing an adsl
> router.
>
> I've just bought a usb bluetooth adapter for my laptop running XP home,
now
> I would like to give the Z600 access to my adsl connection but I am
> presently a bit confused as to what type of connection to set up.
>
> It seems to offer GSM which requires phone numbers or GPRS which I don't
> think is required.
>
> Anyone able to point me in the right direction for this?
>
> I appreciate I may have to bridge one of my NICs with the bluetooth
device.

> Geoff Lane

June 27, 2004 10:55:03 PM

So what IP address would I give for the APN - would it be the router of the
laptop's address?

Geoff Lane

"Kinggo" <mtadic@inet.hrREMOVE> wrote in message
> I'm not sure for Z600 but on p900 works like this.
> Create a dummy GPRS account then create a serial BT connection between
phone
> and yor laptop and then try to start yor browser on the phone with the
dummy
> account. It works also with infrared.
>
> Mario

> > I've got a home network, a mixture of wireless and wired accessing an
adsl
> > router.
> >
> > I've just bought a usb bluetooth adapter for my laptop running XP home,
> > now
> > I would like to give the Z600 access to my adsl connection but I am
> > presently a bit confused as to what type of connection to set up.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 12:12:32 AM

> > I would like to give the Z600 access to my adsl connection but I am
> > presently a bit confused as to what type of connection to set up.

> I'm not sure for Z600 but on p900 works like this.
> Create a dummy GPRS account then create a serial BT connection between
phone
> and yor laptop and then try to start yor browser on the phone with the
dummy
> account. It works also with infrared.

Hmm, interesting - some posters are saying this is not possible but
obviously you've got something working.

I've not got my head around the purpose of this 'serial link' yet, I know it
is a virtual link but why is it needed if the bluetooth connects?

On your 'dummy' gprs account - what have you got for the APN, have you
entered DNS vaules and also, have you bridged any network adapters?

Geoff Lane
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 2:51:26 AM

"Alek M." <winme15@freenet.de> wrote in message

> www.winme15.de.vu

What's that all about then!!!!

Geoff Lane
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 2:51:27 AM

> "Alek M." <winme15@freenet.de> wrote in message
>
> > www.winme15.de.vu
>
> What's that all about then!!!!
>
> Geoff Lane
The pillock has been spamming newsgroups for about 5 days now, just KF the
wanker, everyone else has...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

"Steve Dulieu" <steve.dulieu@greenyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Alek M." <winme15@freenet.de> wrote in message
> >
> > > www.winme15.de.vu
> >
> > What's that all about then!!!!
> >
> > Geoff Lane
> The pillock has been spamming newsgroups for about 5 days now, just KF the
> wanker, everyone else has...

Yup, but prior to shitlisting him, don't forget to send an abuse report to
usenet-abuse@t-online.de

:-)

--
>>> Unlock Your Phone's Potential <<<
>>> http://www.uselessinfo.org.uk <<<
>>> http://www.thephonelocker.co.uk <<<
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 3:20:31 AM

"Richard Colton" <webmaster@NOSPAMuselessinfo.org.uk> wrote in message

> "Steve Dulieu" <steve.dulieu@greenyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> >
> > "Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Alek M." <winme15@freenet.de> wrote in message

> > > What's that all about then!!!!
> > >
> > > Geoff Lane
> > The pillock has been spamming newsgroups for about 5 days now, just KF
the
> > wanker, everyone else has...
>
> Yup, but prior to shitlisting him, don't forget to send an abuse report to
> usenet-abuse@t-online.de
>
> :-)
Ah but Richard, if we all just KF the little cretin without sending the AR
we don't get the spam and it's just possible that it's using a dial-up
connection to send the spam. Then its's paying to send the spam yes it's
is...
With apologies to LOTR.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 11:48:22 PM

> So what IP address would I give for the APN - would it be the router of
the
> laptop's address?
>
> Geoff Lane

None. Just create an account without any settings and then when you launch
your browser it will ask you what account do you want to use and you select
dummy. I repeat this is how it works on p900 opera browser, I don't know for
built in wap browser of your z600. I will try with t630 of my brother.

Bye!

Mario
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 1:16:35 PM

> "Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > So what IP address would I give for the APN - would it be the router of
> > the
> > laptop's address?
>
> None. Just create an account without any settings and then when you launch
> your browser it will ask you what account do you want to use and you
select
> dummy. I repeat this is how it works on p900 opera browser, I don't know
for
> built in wap browser of your z600. I will try with t630 of my brother.

Thanks Mario, I'll give that a try tonight.

What is the idea of the serial BT connection, obviously there is a
connection via Bluetooth so what does the 'serial connection' do?

Geoff Lane
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 4:52:56 PM

> > "Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
> > > So what IP address would I give for the APN - would it be the router
of
> > > the
> > > laptop's address?
> >
> > None. Just create an account without any settings and then when you
launch
> > your browser it will ask you what account do you want to use and you
> select
> > dummy. I repeat this is how it works on p900 opera browser, I don't know
> for
> > built in wap browser of your z600. I will try with t630 of my brother.
>
> Thanks Mario, I'll give that a try tonight.
>
> What is the idea of the serial BT connection, obviously there is a
> connection via Bluetooth so what does the 'serial connection' do?

AIUI Bluetooth works by defining a set of "Profiles" for various tasks, the
most common being...
Headset profile For connecting a BT headset
Handsfree profile For use with a handsfree car kit
DUN profile For creating a dial up network connection
over BT
HID profile For stuff like BT mice and keyboards
Obex Push profile For sending files between devices
Serial profile Imitates a serial connection (sometimes
called hard cable replacement)
Synchronisation profile For synchronising PIMs and the like
....and so on, devices can understand 1, some or all of the available
profiles depending on what the designers thought you would want to do with
the bit of kit concerned. For any of it to work both bits of kit you are
connecting must understand the profile that you want to use, so for
instance, a BT headset would not be fitted with the HID profile because
you're unlikely ever to want to connect a headset to a mouse. However
something like a P900 would be fitted with the HID profile because you may
want to connect a BT keyboard to it. I haven't tried it myself, but I would
imagine that the BT serial profile is what allows a P900 fitted with Opera
to surf the web via a host PCs ADSL connection. So if both your Z600 and BT
dongle understand the BT serial profile, you may be able to set up a serial
network connection between the two and hope the handsets browser can talk to
it. Personally, I suspect you're going to be unlucky, a P900 needs an
aftermarket browser (Opera) to be able to do this, the likelihood of SE
building the capability into the Z600's browser is fairly slim.
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.
Anonymous
June 29, 2004 4:52:57 PM

He will not be able to do it for two reasons.

1. Lack of an HTML browser
2. The phone does not support allowing a bluetooth network connection like
the p900 does. That service has been intentionally disabled on the z600's
bluetooth.
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:07:54 AM

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message

> He will not be able to do it for two reasons.
>
> 1. Lack of an HTML browser

Don't want to browse HTML pages - just curious if I can download POP mail to
my phone and browse WAP pages via my Network connection rather than via
GPRS.

Geoff Lane
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 2:07:55 AM

| "Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
| >
| > He will not be able to do it for two reasons.
| >
| > 1. Lack of an HTML browser
|
| Don't want to browse HTML pages - just curious if I can download POP mail
| my phone and browse WAP pages via my Network connection rather than via
| GPRS.
|
| Geoff Lane

With the network connection service disabled on the phone, I very seriously
doubt it would be possible. I have tried several different ways, and have
yet to figure it out. Of course that doesn't mean it can't be done. I just
have not been able to, nor I have seen anyone on any forums being successful
yet. The bulk of the problem has to do with the inability for the PC and
phone to form a network connection between one another. It is possible over
bluetooth. Unfortunately, that service is not available on our phones. I
don't know if was disabled in the firmware, or just left off the bluetooth
chip completely.
July 2, 2004 12:37:55 AM

There is a discussion on this topic here:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=117bd6937f...
at Howard Forums.

"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I hope this is the correct group for questions about the Sony Ericcson
Z600

> I've got a home network, a mixture of wireless and wired accessing an adsl
> router.
>
> I've just bought a usb bluetooth adapter for my laptop running XP home,
now
> I would like to give the Z600 access to my adsl connection but I am
> presently a bit confused as to what type of connection to set up.
>
> It seems to offer GSM which requires phone numbers or GPRS which I don't
> think is required.
>
> Anyone able to point me in the right direction for this?
>
> I appreciate I may have to bridge one of my NICs with the bluetooth
device.

> Geoff Lane

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 9:53:04 PM