hdd sandra benchmark

G

Most of you suggest maxtor d740 as the best choiche for hdd.
It was my idea too. So I bought 3 d740 ata 133, 2 of them 40 giga capable to create raid 0, the other one to put on the os and other things. Then I had the bad idea to run syssandra 2000 and the benchmark for the two hdd in raid 0 has been 28.600 instead of 36.000 (and something) and for the other hdd (20 giga ata 133 put on controller on board ata 100) 20.900 instead of 24.000 (and something). Considering that the power is enough, all the utilities downloaded from maxtor site tell me everything is okay and the three hdds are in good health, the question is: are you so sure they are the better choiche?
If anybody can explain me why the written benchmarks are so low, i'll thank you for the next years...
thanks

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The drive is an awesome choice. The benchmark software isn't.

Get HDTach or something that gives you a better look at the performance you are getting other then measuring it up to another product and giving you a "score". That is the biggest crap benchmark program if I have ever seen one before (IMO).

You usually need to take benchmark results with a grain of salt. Different operating systems yeild different results. You could also run the bench one moment, reboot your machine and run it again and get a totally different results.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

G

1) a grain of salt doesn't match with -20% performance.
2) you can reboot all the time you want and never can obtain -20% performance difference but an hearthquake occurs.
3) Different os? It could be, I'm not in the mind of syssandra developers but I presume they offer as benchmark a test with win2k or win xp (I've tried both). I think they have a grain of salt, don't think they use win95 or an older one. what you say?
4)I agree you don't have to think to much to the "score" and just have a look if your hdd make what you need, said that, I wanted only to say that when you are going to spend money to buy a new hdd it's better to consider also the score. I know my scores so I'm surprised when I see most of you talking about maxtor as the best choice (have a look in Internet, there are tests made with HDTACH where IBM beats maxtor).

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Everybodys computer yeilds different results.

Sandra still sucks :smile:

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>