Z600 GPRS Settings

Last response: in Brands
June 28, 2004 12:05:02 AM

I'm trying to understand the various settings options for GPRS which I think
are general for most WAP phones that have GPRS.

I have options for APN, User ID, Password, Password required IP address and
DNS

Am I correct in assuming that the IP address and DNS are normally
dynamically assigned so require no entries; so what exactly is the Access
Point Name? Is this the point where downloaded data is measured so that
providers can charge users?

Geoff Lane

More about : z600 gprs settings

Anonymous
June 28, 2004 1:44:32 AM

"Geoff Lane" <geoff@3lanes.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> I'm trying to understand the various settings options for GPRS which I
think
> are general for most WAP phones that have GPRS.

GPRS is a data transport mechanism, WAP is merely one of the protocols that
is carried over it, Theoretically you could have a non WAP handset that used
GPRS.

> I have options for APN, User ID, Password, Password required IP address
and
> DNS
> Am I correct in assuming that the IP address and DNS are normally
> dynamically assigned so require no entries;

Never had to input either for a general GPRS connection, however, whenever
I've set-up a WAP or MMS profile I've always had to enter an IP address.

>so what exactly is the Access
> Point Name? Is this the point where downloaded data is measured so that
> providers can charge users?

AIUI the APN is what allows the network to determine which services the
remote terminal can access, for example, on Orange if you use an (Orange
supplied) SE handset you will find APNs defined for;
Orange GPRS Internet - APN = orangeinternet
Orange GPRS WAP - APN = orangewap
Orange MMS - APN = orangemms
PAYG GPRS WAP - APN = orangeinternet
PAYG GPRS Internet - APN = payginternet
Now whilst writing this reply, I've noticed that on my T610 (thank you
Stanley, regulars will know what I mean) Orange contract internet GPRS and
Orange PAYG WAP over GPRS use the same APN. This is either 1. A cockup, I
thought the correct APN was paygwap, or 2, Something to do with the early
versions of Orange contract GPRS which, IIRC had different levels of bundle
pricing for full internet or less if you only wanted WAP access (Orange
Access Pack? Jon help me out here?)
What's interesting is that my phone will perfectly happily attach itself to
Orange's GPRS service in the UK using the "orangeinternet" APN, on a pub
crawl around Munich it is perfectly happy to attach itself to the T-Mobile
GPRS service in Germany using the "orangeinternet" APN. There is however a
considerable difference in cost for using the service in the two countries.
Anyway, that's enough aclchol fueled rambling, hope it's been of some
help...

--
Cheers, Steve.
Change from jealous to sad to reply.

"Steve Dulieu" <steve.dulieu@greenyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> > I'm trying to understand the various settings options for GPRS which I
> > think
> > are general for most WAP phones that have GPRS.

> AIUI the APN is what allows the network to determine which services the
> remote terminal can access,

Cheers Steve, I'm getting there...

Geoff Lane
!