chiro

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
I just bought the new Maxtor ultra ATA/133 7200rpm 60 gig drive which I plan to install on my XP Home system and format as NTFS. I want to use my current Maxtor 30 gig drive as a second drive but its formated with FAT32. Am I obligated to convert the secondary IDE drive to NTFS so that files can be exchanged from both? Are there performance concerns which would lead me to convert regardless? What about accross my home network to other FAT32 drives? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There is no obligation to convert your FAT32 drive to NTFS. Windows XP will read both FAT32 and NTFS. However, Win9x systems will not be able to read NTFS.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/about.php?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

chiro

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
I'm sorry I'm having such a hard time with this. When you say Win9x systems can't read NTFS - this means I can't copy a file (like an excel file) that originated on the NTSF system accross the network to a Win9x client, then access that file from that computer? Thanks for you help on this.

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Win9x cannot read NTFS partitions so if you have Win9x installed on the same machine then it will not read the NTFS drive.

I believe Win9x will not have problems accessing the NTFS drive through your network to the WinXp machine. On my Win98SE machine, I have no problem copying and browsing my brothers Win2k NTFS drives.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

chiro

Distinguished
May 1, 2002
That makes sense, since when I think about it the net is essentially a large network and obviously we are able to exchange and open files originating from different file systems. Thanks for the help.

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
Yep! Cuz your not reading the hard disk, the server (or the other machine in your case) is reading the disk and passing that file along. The file itself is not affected by the system used to store it.

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
and dont forget that if you ever use win 9X boot disks or the like u will be unable to see the NTFS drives either.

<font color=purple>Win ME Slayer. And PROUD of it!</font color=purple>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
true true...but howcome when you make a boot disk in WINXP, it makes a WINME boot disk, and it is able to browse my NTFS hd as far as i know. :eek:
i thought WINme was basically WIN98, and didnt know that WINme could access NTFS.... :eek:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
no idea on that one...
as my sig so colourfully says i like nuking winME systems and replacing them with nice shiney win2k ones :)

<font color=purple>Win ME Slayer. And PROUD of it!</font color=purple>

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah...when i had the UNFORTUNATE experience of installing WINme on my computer, it was OK at first, but then ONE problem popped up, and then another, and then another, and eventually, i couldnt even use the thing. so, format, lost files, and went back to win98se. then, xp, but that is different.
"too bad" all my friends have either win2k, winxp, or win98se...and arent dumb enough to put winme on their systems. otherwise, i would try my hard drive in their computer...and see if it would be able to access it.
i doubt i would even do that...the WINme virus might spread to my hard drive!!! :eek: !!!

-DAvid

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
oh, and as for being a WINme slayer, that is great! :smile:
you could do like in john carpenters VAMPIRE (i think that is it... :eek: ). spear them, and then drag the computer into the sunlight, and let it roast itself. because WINme only prowls at night...it is like the cousin of a vampire.

-DAvid

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Does it not make a 4 disk boot disk for XP? ME should only be 1 disk...

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>