Sign in with
Your question

weird direcctx problem =(

Last response: in Video Games
Anonymous
October 7, 2001 3:14:32 PM

hey.. ive been havin a lot of problems running games latelly and i finally decided to run the dxdiag.exe program to see if somethin was wrong with directx.. and well what do ya know... there is.. but i dunno what to do about it...
here is what it says:
D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.
D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 5 (GetDeviceCaps): HRESULT = 0x8876086a (3D not available)
direct3d using directx 7 interfaces works but not 8.. i have directx 8.1 installed... as well as the newest winxp detonator drivers for my geforce 3...
any suggestions or guesses or help of any sort would be greatly appreciated.. this is drivin me crazy!

thanks!
caleb

More about : weird direcctx problem

October 7, 2001 3:38:53 PM

Have u been using any tweak softwares?

U got a problem?! Then dial 1800-328-7448!
Anonymous
October 7, 2001 3:53:02 PM

nope havent used any other software besides winxp and some games =P
which dont work.. =( the 2d games that use like directx7 stuff work.. but any new games that use directx8 dont work... its soo annoying
Related resources
Anonymous
October 7, 2001 8:50:52 PM

try this:

Defrag
Start in safemode and reinstall Directx 8
Defrag
Start in safemode again and switch display driver to standard VGA (PCI)
boot in safe mode
uninstall detonator drivers using control panel/add remove programs
boot in normal mode
install detonator drivers

The whole idea here is just to make sure you are getting a clean install.

If this doesn't work, I would suggest beginning to check out the windows XP. I don't have it so I can't help there except to say take advantage of the microshit web site looking for info regarding similar problem and their resolution.

Good Luck
October 8, 2001 10:00:24 AM

can I ask what defragging will do in this case?
You may want to try uninstsalling directx completely, then insatlling it again, you can get an uninstall program from <A HREF="http://www.calvsplace.cwc.net" target="_new">my site</A>

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
Anonymous
October 8, 2001 11:37:09 AM

Defragging before and after installation is rumored to help in situations of system file operation anomolies. While it may or may not be superstition that it is beneficial, it is not a terribly difficult evolution to perform.

I would also recommend a clean install far above attempts to strip and replace portions of the operating system which are not designed to be uninstalled. Windows (or any operating system for that matter) is a very complicated piece of software. It is incredibly easy to affect it in ways that are unexpected when modifying it.
October 8, 2001 1:00:56 PM

I would also reccomend a clean install, but the odd occasion rises where Directx is just a PAIN, for examply it wont install because the latest version is already on your system, but its corrupt- so needs replaceing, I've used that dx removal tool as have a few other people and it hasnt caused any problems, but as you say, it is really a last resort due to the fact its part of windows.

Anonymous
October 9, 2001 2:27:08 AM

well, we lost caleb...

but his post did bring up a question you might know....

When I run dxdiag it doesn't seem to give me any results differentiated by directx7 or directx8. Is this because I am on Win98 SE?
October 10, 2001 4:23:02 PM

The directx file versions should list as differnt versions, as should the dx version, thats all though.

!