Sign in with
Your question

Should I keep or trash?

Last response: in Business Computing
October 28, 2011 4:22:35 PM

So I just built 3 new computers for the Sheriff's Office I work for. I was wondering should i be keeping the boxes of the parts for these computers? Like should I keep the Motherboard box, the CPU box, and the Power Supply box? Or can i just trash them. Any suggestions from someone that has to build computers would be awsome.

Thanks,

Jacob G.

More about : trash

a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 5:39:29 PM

if you have to rma be useful to send parts back
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 6:03:22 PM

I would keep all those parts just in case. As for Hard drives - do not get rid of them. If you do - someone might be able to recover files...and i'm sure the files are confidential in the "Sheriff's offfice".

The power supply always comes in handy - as long as it's rated decently enough.

Also if you really want to get rid of them - you might want to look into recycling the motherboard/PSU. Some places do this - but just check the background of the recycling plants, some just ship it off to China or India, or indonesia - which is not good. Where other places will outright strip out the metal/gold and any other useful stuff found inside motherboards.
Related resources
October 28, 2011 6:11:51 PM

keep the boxes at least until the warranties expire.......
a c 104 ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 6:14:26 PM

I'd keep the boxes at least through the 30-day RMA period in case you need to send things back in original packaging.
a b ) Power supply
October 28, 2011 6:25:05 PM

if the board has a 3 year warranty keep the boxes. you need either the boxes or something off them for RMA to factory/distributor. Can't remember what though.
October 28, 2011 6:51:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies!!
!