Where do you think gaming will be in ten years?

Last response: in Video Games
a b 4 Gaming
May 30, 2004 2:46:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
:)  )

2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
then be static objects.

10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
I'll add more later.

Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

More about : gaming ten years

May 30, 2004 9:33:53 PM

Ohe Fatteh One wrote:
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too

The world - as evidenced by this thread - is full of graphics whores. In
10 years games will be designed to be played by morons (who will be able
to easily beat them). They'll sure be pretty though and the graphics
whores will be on their backs, legs high squealing with delight.

After all why waste money developing games with actual AI that can
challenge a human player - in 10 years the average gamer won't even be
able to read considering the current state of education in the USA and
it's just getting worse. But so what - the graphics will sure be pretty.

--
Maddog
======

"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :)  )

I believe 10 years from now that upgrading computers will be a thing of
the past. For sure, by then, we will have all of the graphics prowess we
need. I think that genres as they exist now will continue to exist,
except that things will look, feel and move very realistically. I can't
see too much in the way of innovative gameplay, however.
Related resources
May 30, 2004 10:27:09 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> I believe 10 years from now that upgrading computers will be a thing of
> the past. For sure, by then, we will have all of the graphics prowess we
> need.

LOL that's exactly what I said 10 years ago.....
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 30, 2004 10:32:04 PM

On 30 May 2004 10:46:44 -0700, sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh
One) wrote:

>Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

1-2 years: More and more developers abandon the PC platform for the
greener pastures of consoles. Very few big-name titles are developed,
aside from some heavily sponsered by NVidia, while ATI focuses on its
console development deals.

3-4 years: The console market crashes, badly. Its not going to be
quite as bad as the the first 'ET cartriges buried the the desert'
crash, but its going to be close. Most developers and publishers (as
well as NVidia, while ATI survives by focusing on low-end chips) go
out of business.

5-6 years: Development starts to return to the PC, though most titles
have poor graphics (which, 6 years from now, will still look better
than most titles today, but will be far from cutting-edge for their
time.) Most distribution will take place over the internet, allowing
smaller niche titles to survive. On the console side, several new
platforms are launched, but fail as gun-shy consumers burned in the
crash reject them.

7-8 years: New golden age of PC gaming. Creativity is at an all-time
high, and entirely new genres of gaming are discovered. Graphics
improve sharply when a brand-new company is founded with major new
advances in graphics-card technology. Meanwhile, new 'multi-media
conglomorates' begin to form to exploit smaller developers. A few new
consoles are launched, but don't even get off the ground.

9-10 years: Creativity begins to wane as larger companies continue to
buy up smaller ones. Graphics make major strides, but at the expense
of gameplay. Small unknown company lanches yet another new console
which SHOULD by all accounts fail horribly, but somehow - doesn't.

To sum up: Second verse, same as the first.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 30, 2004 11:03:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :)  )
>
> 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> then be static objects.
>
> 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> I'll add more later.
>
> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

I've forgotten who said it now, might have been Peter Molyneux, but a quote
came out saying that in 10 years we would have graphics comparable to that
of the CG work in Return of the King.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 30, 2004 11:03:38 PM

"Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message

> "Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> > Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> > newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> > make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> > :)  )
> >
> > 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> > foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> > with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> > I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> > then be static objects.
> >
> > 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> > where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> > kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> > more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> > it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> > style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> > I'll add more later.
> >
> > Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?
>
> I've forgotten who said it now, might have been Peter Molyneux, but a
quote
> came out saying that in 10 years we would have graphics comparable to that
> of the CG work in Return of the King.

GFXs aren't everything. I would hope that in 10 years we'd have AI that is
comparable to playing a human opponent.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 30, 2004 11:10:59 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

Ohe Fatteh One wrote:

> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :)  )
>
> 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> then be static objects.

Rune and No One Lives Forever (both circa 2000) have foilage that moves more realistically (jerks/sways when collided with) than Far Cry.

I haven't seen a game where the foilage wraps around the body, but it shouldn't be that difficult considering Hitman's fabric physics--simply apply it to bushes, small tree limbs, large-leaf bushes/trees (ferns, palms, etc), etc. It's a no-brainer, really...

> 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> I'll add more later.
>
> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

More and more realistic: Holodeck, here we come...
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 12:12:21 AM

sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh One) writes:

> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

PC owners of the world will unite in a revolution against the
upgradeholism induced by ATi and nVidia in collaboration with many
game studios, and torch them.

Then they will go back to playing games on consoles and use their PCs
(fitted with 2D-optimized cards from Matrox) for work and education.

The money saved on electricity which otherwise would have gone to the
hungry monster cards from the Big Two is donated to a fund, the
proceeds of which will have led to a cure for cancer in 2020.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 12:51:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?

In 10 years, I will go down in my basement, Say: "Computer, start program"
and get ready as the world comes alive around me, with my trusty force
feedback computer hologram generated sword and shield in hand, to face the
virtual challenges ahead.

:)

Al
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 1:54:20 AM

"Brother Justin" <fsd@fds.com> wrote in message

> GFXs aren't everything. I would hope that in 10 years we'd have AI that
is
> comparable to playing a human opponent.

I agree.

You know, ten years ago or so, maybe even longer, I really did not expect
games to get much better graphicly- maybe a little, but not to the degree
they did . But I DID expect that computer games would have some very
convincing AI at this point. I expected strategy games where the AI didn't
have to cheat, for instance.

There are some games with very good AI, and some games like chess PC's tend
to do very well at (chess, checkers, and just about any classical board
game), but on the whole AI in computers games has barely advanced in ten
years. It doesn't seem to generate much interest by the gaming press or
even gamers.

Hopefully ,with enough CPU power game developers will be able to write
very simple heuristics, but repeat it over and over enough that some kind of
"emergent" AI that can deal with generalized game situations, could emerge.
Sort of a "brute force" approach similar to what is used in chess games.
Writing specific game code is another option, but it requires knowledge of
the "best" move, and this isn't always possible. The average FPS or
strategy game isn't as simple as chess. I would think some kind of genetic
algorithm or neural network would be the next step.

Far Cry seems like a small step forwards graphicly and I don't see it as
all that revolutionary. I think I am impressed more by graphics that convey
a certain aesthetic and artistry, more than graphics that boast technical
features.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 2:00:38 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

Procedural generation of textures via shaders, instancing (use one object
to create variations in objects, for instance, a forest from one tree),
fractals, procedurally generated game content (missions, campaigns...
similar to the older games like Covert Action... look at the upcomming
Soldner as an example) etc will all be important.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 2:08:24 AM

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1-2 years: More and more developers abandon the PC platform for the
> greener pastures of consoles. Very few big-name titles are developed,
> aside from some heavily sponsered by NVidia, while ATI focuses on its
> console development deals.

I can see this happening.

> 3-4 years: The console market crashes, badly. Its not going to be
> quite as bad as the the first 'ET cartriges buried the the desert'
> crash, but its going to be close. Most developers and publishers (as
> well as NVidia, while ATI survives by focusing on low-end chips) go
> out of business.

What makes you think a videogame crash will happen again? I can see a
shakeout in the future, maybe even Nintendo kicknig the bucket, but that's
about it. In the early 80's videogames were still seen as a fad and people
had the expectation that they wouldn't survive, also the home computer was
hurting consoles because people would rather have bought a computer that was
suppossedly educational, rather than a videogame machine with dated graphics
that only played very simple games (early ones couldn't even record anything
once you turned the power off). Today, the videogame market is just too big
and too sophisticated to die like that.

It's possible gaming could change into something almost unrecognizeable.
Many hardcore gamers don't consider "The Sims" to be a real game, yet there
will probably be more such games in the future that challenge just what
exactly a videogame/ computer game should be about.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 2:11:05 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
name sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh One):

>Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
>Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
>newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years.

csipg.action maybe. .rpg survives on mmorpg discussion and .strategic
is virtually dead other than political trolls and occasional Dominions
2 threads.

>10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
>where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
>kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
>more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
>it is hard to tell.

Actually I would argue we haven't come very far at all. The first
person shooter is virtually the same as it was in Doom. RTSs have
barely advanced at all, except for graphics. RPGs are stagnant and
unbalanced, bouncing between Diablo clones. And other than mmorpgs
precious little *new* has come about as fewer and fewer companies take
any risks.

If the future holds the same as the past, we'll be playing Quake 6 in
ten years, along with Warcraft 4 and Starcraft 3 (its Blizzard, we'll
be lucky if they get past two sequels in ten years), and a whole bunch
of small population mmorpgs who all promised to be the next EQ/WoW and
who all failed to live up to it. And the only difference between these
games and the games we have today are the graphics, and maybe one or
two play modes.

--

"Bad enough when the dead come walking," he said to Jon as they crossed
the village, "now the Old Bear wants them talking as well? No good will

- Dolorous Edd Tollett, "Clash of Kings" (George R R Martin)
May 31, 2004 2:11:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> Actually I would argue we haven't come very far at all. The first
> person shooter is virtually the same as it was in Doom.

I agree. We won't have holograms, or anything so exotic in 10 years.
They'll still be using lcd monitor(just a lot bigger, like 50 inch monitor),
playing Doom 7 and Duke Nukem Forever.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 2:36:26 AM

"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
> > Actually I would argue we haven't come very far at all. The first
> > person shooter is virtually the same as it was in Doom.
>
> I agree. We won't have holograms, or anything so exotic in 10 years.
> They'll still be using lcd monitor(just a lot bigger, like 50 inch
monitor),
> playing Doom 7 and Duke Nukem Forever.

Oh please.. you actually think Duke Nukem Forever will be out
within just 10 more years? PSHAW!
May 31, 2004 2:36:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> Oh please.. you actually think Duke Nukem Forever will be out
> within just 10 more years? PSHAW!

LOL good point. :D
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 3:13:13 AM

One) wrote:

>Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?

Recently I started playing around with Microsoft's Speach API. This
allows voice recognition as well as text-to-speech (TTS). The voice
recognition is not too bad. It recogniozes about 90-95% of what I
say. This goes up the more you train it. I ended up coding it into a
chat-bot and now I can "converse" with my PC. The TTS is not very
good. The PC voice still has trouble with inflection and sounds
"computery". But I was amazed at how far this technology has come. I
think this will bring a whole new era of gaming especially for crpgs.
Imagine talking to the NPC's and they respond in kind. Don't know
about them using TTS to create a response on the fly, but the
technology is there to have them give pre-recorded responses based on
your input. I really look forward to passing by an NPC in a town and
saying "Hello" into my microphone to which they respond, "I have more
important things to do then speak with you.", and keep walking by.

--
Boogie With Stu
Anonymous

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

You will be able to play a very wide range of games titles... but of course
they will all be FPSs.

There will be about 48 titles dealing with combat in Iraq, though most of
these are getting a little dated since they have been out for a few years.

About 70% of the remaining games will deal with the half dozen other
'conflicts' the United States (er coalition forces) have engaged in.

There will be a FPS set in ancient Greece where for some odd reason
ammunition clips for your assault rifle and rocket launcher can be found
hidden inside goats with brown and white fur.

And don't worry about the kids. Their will be several licensed titles from
Disney, nothing like seeing Micky take out Tinker Bell with a sniper rifle.
And one of the best selling nostalgic titles will feature a purple dinosaur
that is hunted through post apocalyptic cityscapes (though this last title is
mostly enjoyed by adults).

There will still sports games, but all will feature a co-op mode where a
member of your team can stand on the sidelines and attempt to take out your
opponents with various weapons.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 4:37:21 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

The grass moving with the body is already very nicely done in Line of
Sight-Vietnam :)
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 5:24:27 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:27:08 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote:

>I believe 10 years from now that upgrading computers will be a thing of
>the past. For sure, by then, we will have all of the graphics prowess we
>need.

200 years from now, people will be complaining about the fact that
Holodeck V7.0 requires a 3.4THz Pentium processor (with the new
sub-quantum floating point coprocessor) and a minimum of 512 terabytes
of RAM.

In other words, don't hold your breath on that 'no upgrades' thing.
May 31, 2004 5:24:28 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> 200 years from now, people will be complaining about the fact that
> Holodeck V7.0 requires a 3.4THz Pentium processor (with the new
> sub-quantum floating point coprocessor) and a minimum of 512 terabytes
> of RAM.

Yeah man, consoles only require 2.1 THz processor to create the same
3-dimensional images in my personal holodeck, so why should I buy another
computer?

I'm finally doing it. I'm ditching my longtime love of pc gaming, in favor
of the new Hitachi GamedecX console. I mean why spend $430,000, when you
can get the same thing by spending only $120,000?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 5:24:28 AM

> 200 years from now, people will be complaining about the fact that
> Holodeck V7.0 requires a 3.4THz Pentium processor (with the new
> sub-quantum floating point coprocessor) and a minimum of 512 terabytes
> of RAM.
>
> In other words, don't hold your breath on that 'no upgrades' thing.

Heh, well my comments were meant for traditional computers as we have them
today. A holodeck would be awesome, but that's a different kettle of fish
and I know that's quite a way off!
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 6:52:54 AM

name "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net>:

>"Brother Justin" <fsd@fds.com> wrote in message
>>
>> GFXs aren't everything. I would hope that in 10 years we'd have AI that
>is
>> comparable to playing a human opponent.
>
> I agree.
>
> You know, ten years ago or so, maybe even longer, I really did not expect
>games to get much better graphicly- maybe a little, but not to the degree
>they did . But I DID expect that computer games would have some very
>convincing AI at this point. I expected strategy games where the AI didn't
>have to cheat, for instance.
>
> There are some games with very good AI, and some games like chess PC's tend
>to do very well at (chess, checkers, and just about any classical board
>game), but on the whole AI in computers games has barely advanced in ten
>years. It doesn't seem to generate much interest by the gaming press or
>even gamers.

Blame widespread multiplayer. Companies are assuming they don't need
to put in an expensive and time consuming AI if the game is meant for
multiplayer.

--

"Bad enough when the dead come walking," he said to Jon as they crossed
the village, "now the Old Bear wants them talking as well? No good will
come of *that*, I'll warrant. And who's to say the bones wouldn't lie?
Why should death make a man truthful, or even clever? The dead are likely
dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my
gravestone should be larger, why does *he* get more worms than I do....'"

- Dolorous Edd Tollett, "Clash of Kings" (George R R Martin)
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 6:54:44 AM

name "somewhere up north" <greatwhitenorth@upthere.com>:

>"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
>>

>In 10 years, I will go down in my basement, Say: "Computer, start program"
>and get ready as the world comes alive around me, with my trusty force
>feedback computer hologram generated sword and shield in hand, to face the
>virtual challenges ahead.

The original poster was talking about computer gaming, not
recreational drug advances....

--

"Bad enough when the dead come walking," he said to Jon as they crossed
the village, "now the Old Bear wants them talking as well? No good will
come of *that*, I'll warrant. And who's to say the bones wouldn't lie?
Why should death make a man truthful, or even clever? The dead are likely
dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my
gravestone should be larger, why does *he* get more worms than I do....'"

- Dolorous Edd Tollett, "Clash of Kings" (George R R Martin)
May 31, 2004 8:27:09 AM

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> 200 years from now, people will be complaining about the fact that
>> Holodeck V7.0 requires a 3.4THz Pentium processor (with the new
>> sub-quantum floating point coprocessor) and a minimum of 512
>> terabytes of RAM.
>>
>> In other words, don't hold your breath on that 'no upgrades' thing.
>>

> Heh, well my comments were meant for traditional computers as we have
> them today. A holodeck would be awesome, but that's a different
> kettle of fish and I know that's quite a way off!

According to Scott Adams, at least, it will also be humanity's last invention.

Given my penchant for procrastinating with even these primitive distractions,
I expect he's right.

--
Coby
"Every year civilization is invaded by millions of tiny barbarians-

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

No games in 10 years The United States would have invaded all countrys
and a Law will be passed that games are to subversive, menaing you
have to use your imagination to make them and play them so thats a NO
NO, many people will be put to death, mostly progamers :(

Then again i could be wrong.

On 30 May 2004 20:12:21 +0200, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
<tor.iver.wilhelmsen@broadpark.no> wrote:

>sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh One) writes:
>
>> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?
>
>PC owners of the world will unite in a revolution against the
>upgradeholism induced by ATi and nVidia in collaboration with many
>game studios, and torch them.
>
>Then they will go back to playing games on consoles and use their PCs
>(fitted with 2D-optimized cards from Matrox) for work and education.
>
>The money saved on electricity which otherwise would have gone to the
>hungry monster cards from the Big Two is donated to a fund, the
>proceeds of which will have led to a cure for cancer in 2020.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 8:52:31 AM

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> schreef in
bericht news:98bkb0t51b40v9prq6uncs25ukb4c95iuu@4ax.com...

> No games in 10 years The United States would have invaded all countrys
> and a Law will be passed that games are to subversive, menaing you
> have to use your imagination to make them and play them so thats a NO
> NO, many people will be put to death, mostly progamers :(
>
> Then again i could be wrong.

already happens in Greece...
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 12:33:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

In ten years time. The PC as we know it today will not exist. It will have
fused with your entire entertainment system. Consoles will be obsolete. Your
computer will be responsible for gaming, TV, recording, music etc. The main
box may be situated in a cuboard somewhere with wired/wireless connections
to TV, cd audio, monitor etc.

Contracting a virus will take on a new meaning.

Ralph
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 1:08:05 PM

Coby wrote:

> According to Scott Adams, at least, it will also be humanity's last invention.

A very wise man.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 1:12:42 PM

Magnulus wrote:

> There are some games with very good AI, and some games like chess PC's tend
> to do very well at (chess, checkers, and just about any classical board
> game), but on the whole AI in computers games has barely advanced in ten
> years. It doesn't seem to generate much interest by the gaming press or
> even gamers.

This is blatantly untrue. Reinstall some of the game from 10 years ago.

It's not the AI rather than the difficulty settings when attacking an
opponent. If the opponents were as hard to blow away as you tend to be
in an FPS then they would cream you each & every time. There are some
very good team mate AIs out there that simply didn't exist 10 years ago.
The AIs of nearly all region based stratgey games will kick the ass of
99% of human players.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 1:12:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

On Mon, 31 May 2004 09:12:42 +0200, Walter Mitty
<mitticus@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>It's not the AI rather than the difficulty settings when attacking an
>opponent. If the opponents were as hard to blow away as you tend to be
>in an FPS then they would cream you each & every time. There are some
>very good team mate AIs out there that simply didn't exist 10 years ago.
>The AIs of nearly all region based stratgey games will kick the ass of
>99% of human players.

When you're talking about AI, you really need to specify a genre, and
you need to specify the TYPE of AI that you're talking about.

For example, in a FPS game, its EXTREMELY easy to write an AI that
unfailingly runs towards the player, shoots with 100% accuracy and is
able to dodge incoming fire with reaction speed far beyond what a
human is capable of. Does this qualify as good AI? Not really.
There are some examples of good AI in FPS games, though: Unreal
Tournament 2004 is a very good example. The AI works as a team (or at
least seems to in most cases), is able to figure out what to do next
in a series of objectives and is reasonably capable of following
through in those objectives, and does it without 'cheating' (or at
least not cheating too badly, at least.)

The AIs in strategy games tend to lag far behind the accomplishments
in the FPS genre. The only area where they 'kick the ass' of human
players is in the context of micromanaging resources. Saying that
this is AI is, though, is like saying that a calculator is smarter
than a human because it can multiply faster.

In terms of coming up with a real strategy, I honestly can't think of
a single game that I've been seriously impressed with. Despite having
significantly more resources (because of the micromanging), the AI in
most strategy games tend to be so bad that they completely squander
their advantages by not using and real tactics beyond straight-forward
attacks.

There definitely have been some advances in the last 10 years, but for
strategy games, the advances have been pretty tiny compared to what's
needed to provide a realistic opponent.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 2:06:56 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> > I've forgotten who said it now, might have been Peter Molyneux, but a
> quote
> > came out saying that in 10 years we would have graphics comparable to
that
> > of the CG work in Return of the King.
> >

> GFXs aren't everything.

Fully aware of that! I was just providing a quote from the industry on the
exact subject of discussion thats all. I also hope to see better AI and
better physics in games that would be so complete we no longer see scripted
sequences because the game can produce amazing cinematic moments all on its
own.

I want to see a totally different, open ended game everytime I play it in a
fully detailed world, of my own accord I want to blow a hole in a road,
shoot a gas pipe and start a fire that burns the whole city to the ground,
leaving a wasteland of burned-out buildings to explore. I want to see
consequence in everything I do whether it has anything to do with the game
as the designeres intended it or not.

You can't play down the importance of graphics in a sorta snobby 'its all
about gameplay' fashion though. Graphics engines dictate what is possible in
a game, if we stick with what we have now we can't really do things on the
kind of scope that I just mentioned.

Graphics ARE more than just lighting effects and particle dispersions, look
at how they change a game...Mario going to 3D created a whole new genre
through graphical advancement. Then look at Farcry, would you feel the same
level of immersion if you were confronted with a fogged up draw distance
rather than a view seemingly as far as the eye can see?

We need better graphics capabilities to make more interesting games in my
opinion.
May 31, 2004 2:11:30 PM

One) wrote:

>2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
>foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
>with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
>I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
>then be static objects.

Far Cry is a big step backwards compared to the likes of Vietcong with
regards to vegetation.

>Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

Far more realism, and hopefully developers won't go down the Manhunt
route for making unsavoury (IMO) games.
May 31, 2004 2:12:41 PM

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:42:13 -0400, "Brother Justin" <fsd@fds.com>
wrote:

>GFXs aren't everything. I would hope that in 10 years we'd have AI that is
>comparable to playing a human opponent.

Damn, so I will be wasted offline as much as I am online!
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 5:51:16 PM

sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh One) wrote in

> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?

I dont think the arrangment in the movie "Matrix" was forced on humans. I
think it was vountary. More and more direct neural interface to the games,
less coming out, eventually the machines had to use the humans themselves
to power the eternal Sims Online because the humans wouldnt come out
anymore.

On the other hand by then I will be looking at an old folks home and Im
going to WANT that to exist. Ok maybe not that sims thing. Diablo? Ultima
Online? City of Heros?

Gandalf Parker
-- EXCUSE ME?!? I HAVE a life ThankYouVeryMUCH!
(It's virtual, but it's a life.)
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 7:07:30 PM

Jamie_Manic wrote:

> I've forgotten who said it now, might have been Peter Molyneux, but a
> quote came out saying that in 10 years we would have graphics
> comparable to that of the CG work in Return of the King.

How long will it take the game designers to make such games? In times of
delays of Half-Life 2 and ...Duke 4 Ever..., the guys will have to work for
five years on just one game.

Dennis
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 7:07:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games (More info?)

Boogie With Stu wrote:
> On 30 May 2004 10:46:44 -0700, sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh
> One) wrote:
>
>> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
>
> Imagine talking to the NPC's and they respond in kind. Don't know
> about them using TTS to create a response on the fly, but the
> technology is there to have them give pre-recorded responses based on
> your input. I really look forward to passing by an NPC in a town and
> saying "Hello" into my microphone to which they respond, "I have more
> important things to do then speak with you.", and keep walking by.

Voice control in a game isn't exactly new - remember the N64 game Hey You
Pikachu? Didn't think so :)

And the PS2 already had two SOCOM games (partial use) and an adventure/action
hybrid title released recently called Lifeline that is entirely voice
controlled.

I haven't really played any of those myself, but judging from most reviews the
technology still has a long way to go before it can really be used in a
effective and engaging manner.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 8:27:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> > Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?
>
> I've forgotten who said it now, might have been Peter Molyneux, but a
quote
> came out saying that in 10 years we would have graphics comparable to that
> of the CG work in Return of the King.

Yeah, I remember him saying something like that that...

Also, about 8 years ago in an interview with OPM, he was quoted as saying:

"In 10 years from now technology will have progressed so much it would be
like comparing the games of today to those on the ZX81 spectrum..."

Yeah, right on Pete...
May 31, 2004 8:40:28 PM

On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:27:39 +0100, "Mike Pro" <mike_pro@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Also, about 8 years ago in an interview with OPM, he was quoted as saying:
>
>"In 10 years from now technology will have progressed so much it would be
>like comparing the games of today to those on the ZX81 spectrum..."
>
>Yeah, right on Pete...

What is wrong with that? 10 years ago Doom was state of the art, now
we have the likes of Far Cry. Try dragging out Doom again to refresh
your memory.
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 9:43:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :)  )
[SNIP]

I think the biggest breakthrough-- from 2D to 3D--has already been made.
Otherwise, graphics will continue to get more and more realistic, to the
point of photorealism. Game environments will be larger, thanks to increased
storage capacity. However, I think the MAIN improvement will be in the area
of AI. Characters will no longer be cannon fodder in most games. They will
think and react for themselves. They won't all look alike. They won't appear
out of normal, or from rooms you already entered and found empty. They will
be able to show emotions and act in complicated patterns. The question is,
which developers will be able to use the capabilities of upcoming consoles
to improve upon the entertainment experience, and which developers will be
content to keep churning out the same generic first-person shooters,
platformers, and racing games?
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 10:06:04 PM

name Andrew <spamtrap@localhost>:

>On Mon, 31 May 2004 16:27:39 +0100, "Mike Pro" <mike_pro@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Also, about 8 years ago in an interview with OPM, he was quoted as saying:
>>
>>"In 10 years from now technology will have progressed so much it would be
>>like comparing the games of today to those on the ZX81 spectrum..."
>>
>>Yeah, right on Pete...
>
>What is wrong with that? 10 years ago Doom was state of the art, now
>we have the likes of Far Cry. Try dragging out Doom again to refresh
>your memory.

Much prettier graphics, gameplay barely advanced. I think Mike was
right on.

--

"Bad enough when the dead come walking," he said to Jon as they crossed
the village, "now the Old Bear wants them talking as well? No good will
come of *that*, I'll warrant. And who's to say the bones wouldn't lie?
Why should death make a man truthful, or even clever? The dead are likely
dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my
gravestone should be larger, why does *he* get more worms than I do....'"

- Dolorous Edd Tollett, "Clash of Kings" (George R R Martin)
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 10:16:36 PM

Quoth The Raven "Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> in
b346801a.0405300946.26fc97b1@posting.google.com
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :)  )
>
> 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> then be static objects.
>
> 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> I'll add more later.
>
> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

diamond/s3 video card makers will be on top of the graphics card makers
--
The law an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - (Mohandas
Gandhi)

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
May 31, 2004 10:27:38 PM

Jumpkick wrote:

> "We Live for the One we Die for the One" <Mr fred@yahoo.com.au> schreef in
> bericht news:98bkb0t51b40v9prq6uncs25ukb4c95iuu@4ax.com...
>
>>No games in 10 years The United States would have invaded all countrys
>>and a Law will be passed that games are to subversive, menaing you
>>have to use your imagination to make them and play them so thats a NO
>>NO, many people will be put to death, mostly progamers :(
>>
>>Then again i could be wrong.
>

> already happens in Greece...

What? I bought my copy of Silent Hill 3 on DVD-ROM and my copy of Gothic
2 in Greece, so games are pretty much open there.
Sorry but you must be mistaken.
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 10:27:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> in
b346801a.0405300946.26fc97b1@posting.google.com
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :)  )
>
> 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> then be static objects.
>
> 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> I'll add more later.
>
> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

the stand alone desktop pc wont exist except for in the Smithsonian, we will
be wearing our pc's as dumb terminals connected to the www to retrieve
content on demand, the television set its self will be comparable to the
highest resolution monitor, it will be part of the wall and its picture can
be displayed in any room. your personal gaming will be a theatre event by
choice. there will be the vr version of any game, but preference will always
be for the non-committed play style where we sit on our bums and only
interact via the game's controller/kb-m sets on a forward display screen
rather than goggles. the graphics will be akin to the cinema, and the cinema
will be virtually dead, no one attending a public viewing by choice because
the home theatre will always be superior, and there will be an interactive
version of any movie available to the HT setup, the game of the future.

--
Does fuzzy logic tickle?

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 10:27:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

Quoth The Raven "Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> in
b346801a.0405300946.26fc97b1@posting.google.com
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :)  )
>
> 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> then be static objects.
>
> 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> I'll add more later.
>
> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

the stand alone desktop pc wont exist except for in the Smithsonian, we will
be wearing our pc's as dumb terminals connected to the www to retrieve
content on demand, the television set its self will be comparable to the
highest resolution monitor, it will be part of the wall and its picture can
be displayed in any room. your personal gaming will be a theatre event by
choice. there will be the vr version of any game, but preference will always
be for the non-committed play style where we sit on our bums and only
interact via the game's controller/kb-m sets on a forward display screen
rather than goggles. the graphics will be akin to the cinema, and the cinema
will be virtually dead, no one attending a public viewing by choice because
the home theatre will always be superior, and there will be an interactive
version of any movie available to the HT setup, the game of the future.

--
Does fuzzy logic tickle?

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 10:34:40 PM

Quoth The Raven "Eep²" <no@spam.com> in
40BA31E6.2530F9CC@spam.com
> More and more realistic: Holodeck, here we come...

I can not see the holodeck becoming popular. most of us prefer the theatre
game style of sitting on our butts and casually interacting with the game
via the kb-m or controller setup. making someone run around a room to play
will get very tiring very quickly, and considering obesity is alway on the
rise, our belly-wheels wont let us be athletic enough to want to bother. and
VR goggles will never really take off in popularity as they require your
100% attention away from television and house mates requirements. we all
love to show off our moves to others on screen, that wont be possible with
vr head sets.

--
Does fuzzy logic tickle?

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
May 31, 2004 10:34:41 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:34:40 +1000, "Highlandish"
<ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>Quoth The Raven "Eep²" <no@spam.com> in
>40BA31E6.2530F9CC@spam.com
>> More and more realistic: Holodeck, here we come...
>
>I can not see the holodeck becoming popular.

In theory I would love a holodeck, but the worst ST:NG episodes took
place in the holodeck, so maybe its not all that great.
a b 4 Gaming
May 31, 2004 10:34:42 PM

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Mon, 31 May 2004 18:34:40 +1000, "Highlandish"
> <ckreskay_CURSEING@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Quoth The Raven "Eep²" <no@spam.com> in
> >40BA31E6.2530F9CC@spam.com
> >> More and more realistic: Holodeck, here we come...
> >
> >I can not see the holodeck becoming popular.
>
> In theory I would love a holodeck, but the worst ST:NG episodes took
> place in the holodeck, so maybe its not all that great.

And lets not forget, the graphical realism of the holodeck is the easy part.
The harder parts are the human-level AI and the fancy forcefields that
simulated feedback from every object in there, as well as making it seem
much larger than the room actually was! So, I would say holodeck in the
Startrek sense is a LONG WAY off!

Kobra
May 31, 2004 10:47:23 PM

Ohe Fatteh One wrote:

> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

We'll all be looking for Windows emulators so that we can play
Morrowind, Gothic, NWN etc..

(kinda like we all looking for Dos emulators to play Ultima, Daggerfall
etc. now! )
!