Where do you think gaming will be in ten years?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
:) )

2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
then be static objects.

10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
I'll add more later.

Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

MadDog

Distinguished
May 9, 2004

Ohe Fatteh One wrote:
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too

The world - as evidenced by this thread - is full of graphics whores. In
10 years games will be designed to be played by morons (who will be able
to easily beat them). They'll sure be pretty though and the graphics
whores will be on their backs, legs high squealing with delight.

After all why waste money developing games with actual AI that can
challenge a human player - in 10 years the average gamer won't even be
able to read considering the current state of education in the USA and
it's just getting worse. But so what - the graphics will sure be pretty.

--
Maddog
======

"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :) )

I believe 10 years from now that upgrading computers will be a thing of
the past. For sure, by then, we will have all of the graphics prowess we
need. I think that genres as they exist now will continue to exist,
except that things will look, feel and move very realistically. I can't
see too much in the way of innovative gameplay, however.

Alai

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> I believe 10 years from now that upgrading computers will be a thing of
> the past. For sure, by then, we will have all of the graphics prowess we
> need.

LOL that's exactly what I said 10 years ago.....

On 30 May 2004 10:46:44 -0700, sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh
One) wrote:

>Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

1-2 years: More and more developers abandon the PC platform for the
greener pastures of consoles. Very few big-name titles are developed,
aside from some heavily sponsered by NVidia, while ATI focuses on its
console development deals.

3-4 years: The console market crashes, badly. Its not going to be
quite as bad as the the first 'ET cartriges buried the the desert'
crash, but its going to be close. Most developers and publishers (as
well as NVidia, while ATI survives by focusing on low-end chips) go
out of business.

5-6 years: Development starts to return to the PC, though most titles
have poor graphics (which, 6 years from now, will still look better
than most titles today, but will be far from cutting-edge for their
time.) Most distribution will take place over the internet, allowing
smaller niche titles to survive. On the console side, several new
platforms are launched, but fail as gun-shy consumers burned in the
crash reject them.

7-8 years: New golden age of PC gaming. Creativity is at an all-time
high, and entirely new genres of gaming are discovered. Graphics
improve sharply when a brand-new company is founded with major new
advances in graphics-card technology. Meanwhile, new 'multi-media
conglomorates' begin to form to exploit smaller developers. A few new
consoles are launched, but don't even get off the ground.

9-10 years: Creativity begins to wane as larger companies continue to
buy up smaller ones. Graphics make major strides, but at the expense
of gameplay. Small unknown company lanches yet another new console
which SHOULD by all accounts fail horribly, but somehow - doesn't.

To sum up: Second verse, same as the first.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :) )
>
> 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> then be static objects.
>
> 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> I'll add more later.
>
> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

I've forgotten who said it now, might have been Peter Molyneux, but a quote
came out saying that in 10 years we would have graphics comparable to that
of the CG work in Return of the King.

"Jamie_Manic" <mmmm...pork rind> wrote in message

> "Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> > Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> > newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> > make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> > :) )
> >
> > 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> > foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> > with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> > I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> > then be static objects.
> >
> > 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> > where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> > kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> > more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> > it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> > style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> > I'll add more later.
> >
> > Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?
>
> I've forgotten who said it now, might have been Peter Molyneux, but a
quote
> came out saying that in 10 years we would have graphics comparable to that
> of the CG work in Return of the King.

GFXs aren't everything. I would hope that in 10 years we'd have AI that is
comparable to playing a human opponent.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games,comp.games.development.design (More info?)

Ohe Fatteh One wrote:

> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
> Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
> newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years. Please try and
> make your predictions as specific as possible (smartass' welcome too
> :) )
>
> 2 years from now- I think within two years you will begin to see
> foliage acting more realistically. We have already begun to see it
> with Far Cry with grass moving with the wind, however within two years
> I think bushes and brush will actually conform to your body rather
> then be static objects.

Rune and No One Lives Forever (both circa 2000) have foilage that moves more realistically (jerks/sways when collided with) than Far Cry.

I haven't seen a game where the foilage wraps around the body, but it shouldn't be that difficult considering Hitman's fabric physics--simply apply it to bushes, small tree limbs, large-leaf bushes/trees (ferns, palms, etc), etc. It's a no-brainer, really...

> 10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
> where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
> kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
> more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
> it is hard to tell. I would say that a more virtual reality goggles
> style play may come into play but I think that is a little vague..
> I'll add more later.
>
> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

More and more realistic: Holodeck, here we come...

sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh One) writes:

> Anyone have any predictions as to the future of videogames?

PC owners of the world will unite in a revolution against the
upgradeholism induced by ATi and nVidia in collaboration with many
game studios, and torch them.

Then they will go back to playing games on consoles and use their PCs
(fitted with 2D-optimized cards from Matrox) for work and education.

The money saved on electricity which otherwise would have gone to the
hungry monster cards from the Big Two is donated to a fund, the
proceeds of which will have led to a cure for cancer in 2020.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?

In 10 years, I will go down in my basement, Say: "Computer, start program"
and get ready as the world comes alive around me, with my trusty force
feedback computer hologram generated sword and shield in hand, to face the
virtual challenges ahead.

:)

Al

"Brother Justin" <fsd@fds.com> wrote in message

> GFXs aren't everything. I would hope that in 10 years we'd have AI that
is
> comparable to playing a human opponent.

I agree.

You know, ten years ago or so, maybe even longer, I really did not expect
games to get much better graphicly- maybe a little, but not to the degree
they did . But I DID expect that computer games would have some very
convincing AI at this point. I expected strategy games where the AI didn't
have to cheat, for instance.

There are some games with very good AI, and some games like chess PC's tend
to do very well at (chess, checkers, and just about any classical board
game), but on the whole AI in computers games has barely advanced in ten
years. It doesn't seem to generate much interest by the gaming press or
even gamers.

Hopefully ,with enough CPU power game developers will be able to write
very simple heuristics, but repeat it over and over enough that some kind of
"emergent" AI that can deal with generalized game situations, could emerge.
Sort of a "brute force" approach similar to what is used in chess games.
Writing specific game code is another option, but it requires knowledge of
the "best" move, and this isn't always possible. The average FPS or
strategy game isn't as simple as chess. I would think some kind of genetic
algorithm or neural network would be the next step.

Far Cry seems like a small step forwards graphicly and I don't see it as
all that revolutionary. I think I am impressed more by graphics that convey
a certain aesthetic and artistry, more than graphics that boast technical
features.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

Procedural generation of textures via shaders, instancing (use one object
to create variations in objects, for instance, a forest from one tree),
fractals, procedurally generated game content (missions, campaigns...
similar to the older games like Covert Action... look at the upcomming
Soldner as an example) etc will all be important.

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> 1-2 years: More and more developers abandon the PC platform for the
> greener pastures of consoles. Very few big-name titles are developed,
> aside from some heavily sponsered by NVidia, while ATI focuses on its
> console development deals.

I can see this happening.

> 3-4 years: The console market crashes, badly. Its not going to be
> quite as bad as the the first 'ET cartriges buried the the desert'
> crash, but its going to be close. Most developers and publishers (as
> well as NVidia, while ATI survives by focusing on low-end chips) go
> out of business.

What makes you think a videogame crash will happen again? I can see a
shakeout in the future, maybe even Nintendo kicknig the bucket, but that's
about it. In the early 80's videogames were still seen as a fad and people
had the expectation that they wouldn't survive, also the home computer was
hurting consoles because people would rather have bought a computer that was
suppossedly educational, rather than a videogame machine with dated graphics
that only played very simple games (early ones couldn't even record anything
once you turned the power off). Today, the videogame market is just too big
and too sophisticated to die like that.

It's possible gaming could change into something almost unrecognizeable.
Many hardcore gamers don't consider "The Sims" to be a real game, yet there
will probably be more such games in the future that challenge just what
exactly a videogame/ computer game should be about.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

A thousand monkeys banging on keyboards posted the following under the
name sashay_biatch@hotmail.com (Ohe Fatteh One):

>Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
>Make your predictions! I think this may be one of the few types of
>newsgroups that is sure to be around in ten more years.

csipg.action maybe. .rpg survives on mmorpg discussion and .strategic
is virtually dead other than political trolls and occasional Dominions
2 threads.

>10 years from now- even though i made the post i do not have a clue
>where videogames will be 10 years from now. Think back to 1994, mortal
>kombat, the beginning of the 1st person shooter (So maybe I am off by
>more then a few years), so much has happened in the past 10 years that
>it is hard to tell.

Actually I would argue we haven't come very far at all. The first
person shooter is virtually the same as it was in Doom. RTSs have
barely advanced at all, except for graphics. RPGs are stagnant and
unbalanced, bouncing between Diablo clones. And other than mmorpgs
precious little *new* has come about as fewer and fewer companies take
any risks.

If the future holds the same as the past, we'll be playing Quake 6 in
ten years, along with Warcraft 4 and Starcraft 3 (its Blizzard, we'll
be lucky if they get past two sequels in ten years), and a whole bunch
of small population mmorpgs who all promised to be the next EQ/WoW and
who all failed to live up to it. And the only difference between these
games and the games we have today are the graphics, and maybe one or
two play modes.

--

"Bad enough when the dead come walking," he said to Jon as they crossed
the village, "now the Old Bear wants them talking as well? No good will

- Dolorous Edd Tollett, "Clash of Kings" (George R R Martin)

Alai

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> Actually I would argue we haven't come very far at all. The first
> person shooter is virtually the same as it was in Doom.

I agree. We won't have holograms, or anything so exotic in 10 years.
They'll still be using lcd monitor(just a lot bigger, like 50 inch monitor),
playing Doom 7 and Duke Nukem Forever.

"Alai" <iamhere@overthere.net> wrote in message
> > Actually I would argue we haven't come very far at all. The first
> > person shooter is virtually the same as it was in Doom.
>
> I agree. We won't have holograms, or anything so exotic in 10 years.
> They'll still be using lcd monitor(just a lot bigger, like 50 inch
monitor),
> playing Doom 7 and Duke Nukem Forever.

Oh please.. you actually think Duke Nukem Forever will be out
within just 10 more years? PSHAW!

Alai

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> Oh please.. you actually think Duke Nukem Forever will be out
> within just 10 more years? PSHAW!

LOL good point. :D

One) wrote:

>Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?

Recently I started playing around with Microsoft's Speach API. This
allows voice recognition as well as text-to-speech (TTS). The voice
recognition is not too bad. It recogniozes about 90-95% of what I
say. This goes up the more you train it. I ended up coding it into a
chat-bot and now I can "converse" with my PC. The TTS is not very
good. The PC voice still has trouble with inflection and sounds
"computery". But I was amazed at how far this technology has come. I
think this will bring a whole new era of gaming especially for crpgs.
Imagine talking to the NPC's and they respond in kind. Don't know
about them using TTS to create a response on the fly, but the
technology is there to have them give pre-recorded responses based on
your input. I really look forward to passing by an NPC in a town and
saying "Hello" into my microphone to which they respond, "I have more
important things to do then speak with you.", and keep walking by.

--
Boogie With Stu

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

You will be able to play a very wide range of games titles... but of course
they will all be FPSs.

There will be about 48 titles dealing with combat in Iraq, though most of
these are getting a little dated since they have been out for a few years.

About 70% of the remaining games will deal with the half dozen other
'conflicts' the United States (er coalition forces) have engaged in.

There will be a FPS set in ancient Greece where for some odd reason
ammunition clips for your assault rifle and rocket launcher can be found
hidden inside goats with brown and white fur.

And don't worry about the kids. Their will be several licensed titles from
Disney, nothing like seeing Micky take out Tinker Bell with a sniper rifle.
And one of the best selling nostalgic titles will feature a purple dinosaur
that is hunted through post apocalyptic cityscapes (though this last title is
mostly enjoyed by adults).

There will still sports games, but all will feature a co-op mode where a
member of your team can stand on the sidelines and attempt to take out your
opponents with various weapons.

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

The grass moving with the body is already very nicely done in Line of
Sight-Vietnam :)

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:27:08 -0600, "NightSky 421"
<nightsky421@no-mail-please.com> wrote:

>I believe 10 years from now that upgrading computers will be a thing of
>the past. For sure, by then, we will have all of the graphics prowess we
>need.

200 years from now, people will be complaining about the fact that
Holodeck V7.0 requires a 3.4THz Pentium processor (with the new
sub-quantum floating point coprocessor) and a minimum of 512 terabytes
of RAM.

In other words, don't hold your breath on that 'no upgrades' thing.

Alai

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games (More info?)

> 200 years from now, people will be complaining about the fact that
> Holodeck V7.0 requires a 3.4THz Pentium processor (with the new
> sub-quantum floating point coprocessor) and a minimum of 512 terabytes
> of RAM.

Yeah man, consoles only require 2.1 THz processor to create the same
3-dimensional images in my personal holodeck, so why should I buy another
computer?

I'm finally doing it. I'm ditching my longtime love of pc gaming, in favor
of the new Hitachi GamedecX console. I mean why spend $430,000, when you
can get the same thing by spending only $120,000?

> 200 years from now, people will be complaining about the fact that
> Holodeck V7.0 requires a 3.4THz Pentium processor (with the new
> sub-quantum floating point coprocessor) and a minimum of 512 terabytes
> of RAM.
>
> In other words, don't hold your breath on that 'no upgrades' thing.

Heh, well my comments were meant for traditional computers as we have them
today. A holodeck would be awesome, but that's a different kettle of fish
and I know that's quite a way off!

name "Magnulus" <magnulus@bellsouth.net>:

>"Brother Justin" <fsd@fds.com> wrote in message
>>
>> GFXs aren't everything. I would hope that in 10 years we'd have AI that
>is
>> comparable to playing a human opponent.
>
> I agree.
>
> You know, ten years ago or so, maybe even longer, I really did not expect
>games to get much better graphicly- maybe a little, but not to the degree
>they did . But I DID expect that computer games would have some very
>convincing AI at this point. I expected strategy games where the AI didn't
>have to cheat, for instance.
>
> There are some games with very good AI, and some games like chess PC's tend
>to do very well at (chess, checkers, and just about any classical board
>game), but on the whole AI in computers games has barely advanced in ten
>years. It doesn't seem to generate much interest by the gaming press or
>even gamers.

Blame widespread multiplayer. Companies are assuming they don't need
to put in an expensive and time consuming AI if the game is meant for
multiplayer.

--

name "somewhere up north" <greatwhitenorth@upthere.com>:

>"Ohe Fatteh One" <sashay_biatch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Where the hell do you think gaming is headed in ten years (or more)?
>>

>In 10 years, I will go down in my basement, Say: "Computer, start program"
>and get ready as the world comes alive around me, with my trusty force
>feedback computer hologram generated sword and shield in hand, to face the
>virtual challenges ahead.

The original poster was talking about computer gaming, not
recreational drug advances....