Video Card Choice

G

Greetings all, my friend is putting together a new computer soon. She has asked my advice on what components to purchase. However, I am unsure of what video card to recommend. The thing is, she is less interested in gaming than in video editing, film etc...so she wants a video card that will allow her to edit video and multimedia. Normally I would have suggested something from the Geforce family, perhaps a Geforce 3 Ti500, but I'm not sure how good they are for video editing compared to say, and ATI card. Basically my question is, what video card would you recommend for her?

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
depending of your budget.

ATI 8500 DV included TV out, TV tuner & real time mpeg2 compression video capturing.

ATI 8500 same as the DV but video capturing without real time mpeg2 compression.
but besides a 3D engine (GPU) a little faster.
& less expensive than the 8500 DV.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
The ATI cards hbave good performance as well as excellent features, you could also try and get your hands on an older "deluxe" version of an asus video card.

<b>What was that!</b> :eek:

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
<A HREF="http://users.capu.net/~kwelch/pp/pics/emperors-family2.jpg" target="_new">huh?</A>.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

XT8088_640K

Distinguished
May 12, 2002
Generic 8500s don't have video capture capacity. BTW, the mpeg2 compression capacity is actually built into the graphics chip.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
crap

here the <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/aiwradeon8500/index.html" target="_new">ATI Link</A>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I would recommend not using a gForce 3 card, as their video capture capability and quality is not as great as the ATI line. gForce 4 may be okay, but not a gForce 3.

In this case I would recommend the ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon 7500. It's video capture capibility is as good as the Radeon 8500, but it's 3D games ability is lower. That shouldn't be an issue in this case.

The only reason I am recommending the all-in-wonder line over the regular line is that the all-in-wonder has the following: 1) a TV capture card (you can capture directly from cable instead of having to go through the TV or VCR)
2) Better capture software (While it is not Adobe, it's still very good)
3) That nice remote.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.