Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Directv DVR service fee

Last response: in Home Theatre Legacy
Share
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 8:34:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that the
monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go into
change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.

Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee less
than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
DVR service?

Art
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:17:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article
<oC0Qe.684460$cg1.415472@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
> An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that the
> monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
> And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go into
> change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
>
> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee less
> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
> DVR service?

New customers and anyone changing a unit get hit with the new higher fee.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 9:54:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:o C0Qe.684460$cg1.415472@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
> An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that the
> monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
> And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go into
> change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
>
> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee less
> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
> DVR service?
>

The $5.99 monthly DVR service fee is rumored to apply to those adding
DVR equipment. IE, if you don't make DVR changes to your account,
the $4.99 fee will apply until it is increased for all. Service fees can change
at anytime.
Related resources
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:20:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee less
> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
> DVR service?

DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:20:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Thanks, I'll try to avoid changing the DVR service.
Art
"Jack Zwick" <jackzwick@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:jackzwick-165316.12171327082005@newsclstr01.news.prodigy.com...
> In article
> <oC0Qe.684460$cg1.415472@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
> "Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
> > An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that
the
> > monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
> > And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go
into
> > change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
> >
> > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
less
> > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
getting
> > DVR service?
>
> New customers and anyone changing a unit get hit with the new higher fee.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:20:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Of course, if you have the TOTAL CHOICE PREMIERE package (all channels
except adult) there is NO DVR fee.
Anonymous
August 27, 2005 11:55:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11h1f71274srq38@corp.supernews.com...
> On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
>> less
>> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
>> getting
>> DVR service?
>
> DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
>
> --
> This is my .sig

They do, but it's not available to the public yet.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:00:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

I noticed in my account on the programming changing page where I could
modify the premium channel selections it's showing a dollar. So I guess
when I go click SHO in October to check out the new horror series my dvr fee
will
increase then, if not before.

"Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:o C0Qe.684460$cg1.415472@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
> An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that the
> monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
> And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go
> into
> change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
>
> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
> less
> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers getting
> DVR service?
>
> Art
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 12:08:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

My bad assumption then. I noticed on the promotion insert and website,
that there is no mention of TIVO, just DirectV DVR. Also, the picture of the
DVR on the insert has no TIVO logo on it.
"Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:11h1f71274srq38@corp.supernews.com...
> On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
less
> > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
getting
> > DVR service?
>
> DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
>
> --
> This is my .sig
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 6:08:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Mine doesn't show anything like that. I already get 1 premium movie channel
which is checked. And the "Directv DVR Service ($4.99/monthly)" box is
checked. Mine doesn't show $1 anywhere.
"Michael Walker" <mike1977@despammed.com> wrote in message
news:k%7Qe.10780$HM2.5588@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> I noticed in my account on the programming changing page where I could
> modify the premium channel selections it's showing a dollar. So I guess
> when I go click SHO in October to check out the new horror series my dvr
fee
> will
> increase then, if not before.
>
> "Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> news:o C0Qe.684460$cg1.415472@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > I currently have Directv Tivo for $4.99 per month.
> > An insert with my last bill has an offer for DVR unit and states that
the
> > monthly DVR service fee is $5.99.
> > And checking their web site, it states that it's $5.99. Except if I go
> > into
> > change package at their site, it has $4.99 listed for DVR service.
> >
> > Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
> > less
> > than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
getting
> > DVR service?
> >
> > Art
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 6:08:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

"Art Matz" <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
news:709Qe.141939$5N3.109342@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Mine doesn't show anything like that. I already get 1 premium movie
> channel
> which is checked. And the "Directv DVR Service ($4.99/monthly)" box is
> checked. Mine doesn't show $1 anywhere.

I checked it again and it's back to saying $4.99. LOL
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 6:45:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

On 2005-08-28, Michael Walker <mike1977@despammed.com> wrote:
> "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:11h1f71274srq38@corp.supernews.com...
>> On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
>>> less
>>> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
>>> getting
>>> DVR service?
>>
>> DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
>
> They do, but it's not available to the public yet.

Nothing but vaporware, FUD, and rumors is what they have.

--
This is my .sig
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 6:45:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Mike Hunt said:
----"Nothing but vaporware,FUD,and rumors is what they have."----


Reply:
Being as the Spaceway 1 satellite is undergoing field testing (Ka-Band
has not been used for video service in the CONUS area before for
commercial purposes) and it is not scheduled to go into service until
the end of the year,it would be kind of silly to release for sale
receivers that currently cannot receive any programming yet would it
not?
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 7:29:28 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <5W7Qe.10764$HM2.7377@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
"Michael Walker" <mike1977@despammed.com> wrote:

> "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:11h1f71274srq38@corp.supernews.com...
> > On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
> >> less
> >> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
> >> getting
> >> DVR service?
> >
> > DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
> >
> > --
> > This is my .sig
>
> They do, but it's not available to the public yet.

Then they don't have one. Simple really.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 8:03:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <2497-43113038-576@storefull-3252.bay.webtv.net>,
SAC441@webtv.net (SAC 441) wrote:

> Mike Hunt said:
> ----"Nothing but vaporware,FUD,and rumors is what they have."----
>
>
> Reply:
> Being as the Spaceway 1 satellite is undergoing field testing (Ka-Band
> has not been used for video service in the CONUS area before for
> commercial purposes) and it is not scheduled to go into service until
> the end of the year,it would be kind of silly to release for sale
> receivers that currently cannot receive any programming yet would it
> not?

Working hard, aren't we, to make excuses for DirecTv. FACT IS: There own
model DVR isn't ready for Prime Time yet for many other reasons.
August 28, 2005 12:55:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <5W7Qe.10764$HM2.7377@bignews5.bellsouth.net>,
"Michael Walker" <mike1977@despammed.com> wrote:

> "Mike Hunt" <in2sheep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:11h1f71274srq38@corp.supernews.com...
> > On 2005-08-27, Art Matz <acmatz@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if the rate is going up? Or is the DTivo service fee
> >> less
> >> than their own DVR? Or is the 5.99 fee only apply to new customers
> >> getting
> >> DVR service?
> >
> > DirecTV does not have a non-TiVo DVR.
> >
> > --
> > This is my .sig
>
> They do, but it's not available to the public yet.

Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
ugly unit.

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 4:02:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
> Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
> photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
> ugly unit.

However, the troubleshooting guide (linked from the DVR Q&A page) does
mention TiVo and the screenshots are still TiVo screenshots.

--
Stephen Harris
usenet@spuddy.org
The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.
August 29, 2005 12:46:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

In article <g6nsed.a9f.ln@spuddy.org>,
usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris) wrote:

> Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
> > Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
> > photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
> > ugly unit.
>
> However, the troubleshooting guide (linked from the DVR Q&A page) does
> mention TiVo and the screenshots are still TiVo screenshots.

Leftovers.
How many times have you gone to a major software company's website for
technical info and found what you were looking for to be either way out
of date or simply wrong?
If I had a dollar for every time that happened...

--
To reply by email, remove the word "space"
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 11:03:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
> In article <g6nsed.a9f.ln@spuddy.org>,
> usenet@spuddy.org (Stephen Harris) wrote:

> > Kurt <labolide@spacegmail.com> wrote:
> > > Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
> > > photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
> > > ugly unit.
> >
> > However, the troubleshooting guide (linked from the DVR Q&A page) does
> > mention TiVo and the screenshots are still TiVo screenshots.

> Leftovers.
> How many times have you gone to a major software company's website for
> technical info and found what you were looking for to be either way out
> of date or simply wrong?

Actually, I think this is the opposite case now; they are preparing for
the rollout of their own box in the future and so are proactively
removing references to TiVo, where possible. The URL of the "DirecTV
DVR" box has "TIVO.asp"; image of the box they have on that page appears
to be the R10 (I'm not sure) and it has the TiVo logo on the bottom
right and while the page doesn't mention "with TiVo" it still has the
TiVo trademark disclaimer at the bottom.

--
Stephen Harris
usenet@spuddy.org
The truth is the truth, and opinion just opinion. But what is what?
My employer pays to ignore my opinions; you get to do it for free.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:36:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Kurt wrote:

> Their current advertising has eliminated any reference to Tivo. Even the
> photo of the DVR does not have a Tivo logo on it. It's also kind of an
> ugly unit.

If you're talking about the full-page newspaper ad, there is a small
black TiVo logo in the lower right corner of the faceplate. I missed
it the first time, but it is there.

Same unit, different angle:
http://www.directv.com/images/imagine/dvr/top_image_mai...
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/imagine/TIVO.dsp

-Joe
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 6:38:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.video.ptv.tivo (More info?)

Stephen Harris wrote:
> The URL of the "DirecTV
> DVR" box has "TIVO.asp"; image of the box they have on that page appears
> to be the R10 (I'm not sure) and it has the TiVo logo on the bottom
> right and while the page doesn't mention "with TiVo" it still has the
> TiVo trademark disclaimer at the bottom.

There is also the page title:
<head>
<title>DIRECTV® DVR WITH TiVo®</title>
</head>

-Joe
!