Sign in with
Your question

HP 200i or Pioneer DVR-A04 Please Help DVD-RW

Last response: in Storage
May 1, 2002 4:27:58 AM

I'm having trouble choosing between two DVD Writer Drives (well actually three since the HP has an internal and external version). Any comments about these drives or otheres would be greatly appreciated. Here they are.

1)The Pioneer is the new DVR-A04 and it is a DVD-RW/R Drive. Here are some of it's specs:

a)Pioneer's DVR-A04 drive writes and reads DVD-RW, DVD-R, CD-R and CD-RW media, and also reads CD-ROM and DVD-ROM discs. The drive offers up to 4.7GB of storage capacity on a single sided DVD disc. Pioneer's DVR-A04 also provides wider compatibility, higher speeds, lower noise, UDMA33 support and buffer under-run protection for both CD and DVD recording.

Write Support

DVD-R (4.7GB for General)
DVD-RW
CD-R
CD-RW
Read Support

DVD-ROM single layer/dual layer
DVD-R (all types)
DVD-RW
CD-ROM Mode 1
CD-ROM XA Mode 2 (form 1, form 2)
CD-TEXT
Photo CD (single & multiple session)
CD-DA (Audio CD)
CD-Extra
CD-R
CD-RW (Support AM2)
Write Speed

DVD-R: 2X CLV, 1x CLV
DVD-RW: 1X CLV
CD-R: 8X CLV, 4X CLV
CD-RW: 4X CLV
Read Speed

DVD-ROM (Single): 6X CAV
DVD-ROM (Dual): 2X CLV
DVD-R, DVD-RW: 2X CLV
CD-ROM: 24X CAV
CD-R, CD-RW: 24X CAV
CD-Audio: 10X CAV
Video-CD: 4X CLV
Access Time (Random Average)

DVD: 200 Msec
CD: 180 Msec

2)The second drive is the HP 200i. It is a DVD+RW/R Drive. Here are a few specs:

a) Writes to either DVD+RW rewritable or DVD+R write-once discs.

Type of Drive: DVD ReWritable (DVD+RW) Drive
Internal/External: Internal
Interface: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
CD-ROM Read Speed: 32 X
CD-RW Rewrite Speed: 10 X
CD-RW Write Speed: 12 X
DVD-ROM Read Speed: 8 X
DVD-RW Write Speed: 2.4 X
DVD-RW Rewrite Speed: 2.4 X

3) Is the HP 200e, which is the external version, which is connected to a USB 2.0 port. Sorry no specs just yet.

FINAL QUESTIONS:

1)Which is the best one--Pros & Cons
2)What about the two HP DVD Drives? (Which Faster?)
3)Is there a SCSI DVD Drive as good if not better?
4)Any other drive out there which is as good?

At this point i may just buy both, but would of course like to save a few hundred bucks.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dariushou on 05/01/02 03:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 2, 2002 8:18:43 AM

Quote:

The Pioneer is the premiere model - It does DVD-R (general) which is what you need for the majority of component DVD players on the market.

Quote:

Neither is faster - they are the exact same drive. USB 2.0 has a data rate of 480Mbps (60MBps). A 72x CD-ROM only reads at 10.8MBps (150kBps * 72) so they should perform almost identically.

Quote:

The Pioneer DVR-s201 does DVD-R (authoring - for making commercial copy protected DVDs) and is SCSI. It costs ~$4,500. This is a low price - when Pioneer first introduced the first DVD-R (authoring) drive a few years ago it cost $17,000.

Quote:

Pioneer is the best DVD-R/RW drive and DVD-R/RW is better than DVD+R/RW.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.
August 31, 2009 5:26:22 PM

ath0mps0 said:
Quote:

The Pioneer is the premiere model - It does DVD-R (general) which is what you need for the majority of component DVD players on the market.

Quote:

Neither is faster - they are the exact same drive. USB 2.0 has a data rate of 480Mbps (60MBps). A 72x CD-ROM only reads at 10.8MBps (150kBps * 72) so they should perform almost identically.

Quote:

The Pioneer DVR-s201 does DVD-R (authoring - for making commercial copy protected DVDs) and is SCSI. It costs ~$4,500. This is a low price - when Pioneer first introduced the first DVD-R (authoring) drive a few years ago it cost $17,000.

Quote:

Pioneer is the best DVD-R/RW drive and DVD-R/RW is better than DVD+R/RW.

If the thought I thought I thought had been the thought I thought, I wouldn't have thought so much.

!