Corsair 256MB DDR XMS2700 CAS2 IS available!

G

I read the DDR versus RDRAM comparison.. THG says these modules ain't available, but they are.. check overclockers.co.uk for instance they have them in stock.. and has had so for some time now.. and I'm sure they are available in a zillion other places too.

I've seen pics of a kingmax DDR400 module rated for cas 2 operation as well. So.. I don't believe latency will be an issue with DDR400.

The 845G looks great.. hopefully there will be an unofficial setting for DDR400 as well.
Considering how well DDR333 performs with the 845G, DDR400 will probably perform just as well as 1200 Mhz RDRAM which isn't going to appear for some time and will prolly be expensive as hell when it is in fact released!

Also don't forget dual channel DDR! A dual channel DDR266 setup will perform extremely well compared to RDRAM, and DDR 266 is cheap! And there will surely be a dual DDR333.. and perhaps even dual DDR400 which would seriously outperform anything Rambust can come up with in the next few years!

That's my first post here :)

G

<pre>mm from uk?</pre><p>hey, im a newbie, keep it easy men. be cool and be patient. thanks. :)

FatBurger

Illustrious
Also don't forget dual channel DDR! A dual channel DDR266 setup will perform extremely well compared to RDRAM, and DDR 266 is cheap! And there will surely be a dual DDR333.. and perhaps even dual DDR400 which would seriously outperform anything Rambust can come up with in the next few years!

Which is true, but until it hits the market, it's a moot point.

And don't forget that PC800 and PC2100 is basically the same price now, which would make PC800 cheap as well.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

G

Moot point I think NOT! If so then the whole article about Pc1066 AND pc1200 RDRAM is MOOT. Not mentioning all the overclocking articles THG does. Including the ones showing NW's at 133 mhz fsb.

And regarding RDRAM being the same price as pc2100 ddr, I don't know where you get that from.I just checked pricewatch. A 256 meg stick of DDR 2100 is $37 while 256 meg of RDRAM is $61 Thats a price difference of a whopping 64 % in DDR's favor!

I also checked prices here in Sweden on our own buyers guide since the same rules don't quite apply here.
The price difference here isn't quite as large but still a substancial 47 %.

Regarding dual channel DDR. Well.. I've seen many reviews of Intel's own 7500 chipset. I haven't seen any boards out yet though but they shouldn't be too far away.

In these reviews the RDRAM based Xeon sytems outperformed the DDR based ones. And from what I have read, there will be a 133 mhz fsb version of that chipset when the 133 mhz fsb p4's will be released which is soon. That will most likely make the DDR version get past the rdram based version performance wise.

And for servers the price is a very important factor.. So if you do the math.. DDR is the winner. It doesn't matter if RAMBUS has pc1066 or pc1200 in the pipeline cuz there is pc2700 ddr already... and pc400 ddr is not far away either.. So.. in a dual configuration DDR will either match or outperform RDRAM for the next few years any way you cut it.
If RAMBUS doesn't pull a really nice rabbit out of their hat that is.

Also let us not forget that if RAMBUS doesn't have pc1066 rdram in quantity ready for the introduction of 133 mhz fsb products from intel the rdram platforms will be running in an asynch. mode which will increase latency of the already high latency plagued rdram, while DDR will be running synchronously. This applies to all p4 rdram based platforms.. not just the xeon servers!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Moot point I think NOT!

I'm sorry, I worded it poorly. I meant that until it hits the market, it doesn't help us much.

And regarding RDRAM being the same price as pc2100 ddr, I don't know where you get that from.

My comparison is based on the RAM that I would recommend someone to buy. I recommend Crucial for PC2100 and Samsung for PC800, no exceptions (unless someone for some reason can't get those). Samsung PC800 is $85 for a stick of 256MB and Crucial PC2100 is...$87.29. If you want to get close to RDRAM performance on a P4 you'll need PC2700, which is...$98 for 256MB (Corsair from Newegg).

My price comparisons are always based on what I would recommend (unless the topic is something else specifically, of course). I see no reason to compare the crappiest RAM, especially since Rambus has stricter quality control regulations for RDRAM. Of course, other countries always have different prices than the US (as you well know).

And for servers the price is a very important factor..

I disagree with you there. If my company buys a $30,000 server from Dell, they aren't going to care about $100 total in memory pricing to get the best performing thing.

in a dual configuration DDR will either match or outperform RDRAM for the next few years any way you cut it.

I really doubt that things will stay the way they are for a "few years". 3 years ago RDRAM was a laughingstock, now they're the best performance option for the P4.

If RAMBUS doesn't pull a really nice rabbit out of their hat that is.

And this seems to be the root of the problem. Rambus is sitting on their asses doing nothing. We've had the i850 out for quite some time now, and they seem to really be dragging their feet.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>