ibm 120GXP

G

Hi.

i would like to buy an IBM 120GXP with 120GB capacity.
i dont know if this hard disk is a good choice?
maybe it exists other hard disk brands better?

hey, im a newbie, keep it easy men. be cool and be patient. thanks. :)

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Maxtor has a D540X with 120GB capacity. Even 160GB.

I would try to stay away from IBM from my personal perspective.

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
Check out the Western Digital 120 GB Drive...either the WD1200BB or WD1200JB. The BB version has 2 MB cache on it and the JB is the gorilla with 8 MB cache. Both drives put out close to 50 MB per second and are the fastest EIDE drives on the market...run you around $200-$225.

Bob

Come with 3 year warranty...

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
There's a good chance that 120gxp won't last you a long time. You'll probably get a year out of it, but anything over that is extra-ordinary.

In the 120gig sizes, there's quite a few other driver that will get the 48meg/sec reads that the IBM drives get.

Try <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com" target="_new">http://www.storagereview.com</A> and check some numbers.

dhlucke

Polypheme
IBM has done poorly now with both the 75gxp and the 60gxp. I wouldn't take a chance on the 120gxp. My 60gxp drive died after 6 months and I'm not very happy with them at all.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

kief

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2001
I would not trust IBM IDE drives (SCSI is another thing) as I have seen problems lately. The older ones are great, but the last 2 generations have been flakey at best. Id say Western Digital, esp if you can afford the 8meg special edition as its the fastest around =)

Jesus saves, but Mario scores!!!

G

i cant trust Maxtor nor Western Digital but maybe seagate, fujitsu and of course IBM.
but seagate disks are a little weak.

im puzzling about IBM disks because i have never had an issue with.

hey, im a newbie, keep it easy men. be cool and be patient. thanks. :)

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I have always had great luck with WD. I wish I could say the same about my IBM 60GXP I lost.

:smile: <b><font color=blue> I took an I.Q. test today...It came back negative.</font color=blue></b> :lol:

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
There's a good chance that 120gxp won't last you a long time. You'll probably get a year out of it, but anything over that is extra-ordinary.

In the 120gig sizes, there's quite a few other driver that will get the 48meg/sec reads that the IBM drives get.

Laughable claim considering the 120gxp hasnt been out what 6 months?

Dont get me wrong, ibm sucks and its wd for me(have a 120jb, choice , highly reccomend it) but that 120 gxp <1 year claim is pure FUD.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Why? IBM sucks lately, with that 8 hour a day crap I doubt it'll even last a year.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Matisaro speaks right. Nobody had enough time to judge the 120GXP.
If the numbers have the right I can only give some information.
There were some 75GXP series drives with some defects. The other drives run since several years without problems. I have four 75GXP in a RAID 0 array since 2 years, working almost 24/7 and I never had any problems. I also have two 60 GXP which run with no problems. Three years ago I had problems with a Quantum Fireball Ka (read Maxtor) The disk died without any previous malfunctioning. I also destroied an old Conner drive. I had also a problem with a 75 GXP drive which was too noisy. The IBM reseller changed the drive with a new one. I bought an IBM 120GXP 120 GB some months ago. It works great (but it is a little noisy during the accessing operations, not for the high speed rotation).
The 120GXP works 24/7 with no problems, the body temperature is even lower then the 60GXP.
I was also worried about the 333 hours/month issue so I wrote to IBM technical support. They say that the disk is targetted to a typical usage of 333 hours/month but can works 24/7 without problems.
Obviously each mechanical stuff has its end. The 120GXP maybe will die in 3÷5 years, who knows. But I know that in a couple of years I will substitute the disk with a serial ATA drive.
Summarizing I don't believe that it is possible to say that a particular disk will end before an other. IBM, Western Digital and Maxtor are leading brand for HDD and their top class products are really great objects.
One more information. Promise technical support classify the above mentioned disk drives as very good drive for RAID purposes even if the latest Maxtor drive "works great".

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
indeed, i have 5 WD hard disks, (2x) 3,2GB (1998) in my comp. & (2x) 1,6GB (1996), (1x) 250MB (round 1992) which work yet.

but also an IBM SCSI-1 with a capacity of 170MB which works as well.

besides my 2 IBM 60GXP 41GB.

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
But I know that in a couple of years I will substitute the disk with a serial ATA drive.
this willnt change anything related to the mechanical part of the HD (heads,plattes,arms,etc...) & willnt solve anything in terms of fiability, MTBF or whatsoever.

besides i cant for the moment claim against IBM because i have never had any hardware problem with their HD (nor with the other HD brands as well). ll

maybe its luck related ?!? ll

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
I would not trust IBM IDE drives (SCSI is another thing)
hmm, i think there is maybe something wrong in your reasoning...