CD markers -- what's safe?

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

Online sources such as
http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.

My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.

Any opinions or advice from experts?

bin
21 answers Last reply
More about markers what safe
  1. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    binary <bin@binary.xyz> writes:

    > Online sources such as
    > http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    > advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >
    > My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    > specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    > labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
    > water-soluble.
    >
    > Any opinions or advice from experts?

    I (as a leming who's always used a Sharpie) have a related question
    has anyone had a failure on such a disk? Granted my experience has
    been with disks with writing areas on them so I'm not sure if my lack
    of failure really says anything.

    --
    /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
    \ / | http://www.toddh.net/

    On 29 Jan 2005 21:47:11 -0600, Todd H. <bmiawmb@toddh.net> wrote:
    >binary <bin@binary.xyz> writes:

    >> Online sources such as
    >> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    >> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >>
    >> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    >> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    >> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
    >> water-soluble.
    >>
    >> Any opinions or advice from experts?

    >I (as a leming who's always used a Sharpie) have a related question
    >has anyone had a failure on such a disk? Granted my experience has
    >been with disks with writing areas on them so I'm not sure if my lack
    >of failure really says anything.

    All felt tip markers are safe. Any extra cost is just going towards marketing
    hype.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    binary wrote:
    > Online sources such as
    > http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    > advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >
    > My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    > specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    > labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
    > water-soluble.
    > Any opinions or advice from experts?

    Second vote here for the Sharpie - works, dries quick, permanent.

    Had fun with mine yesterday - doing a small vid shoot and camereman asked
    for a pen to mark up the clapper.... handed him the sharpie and he didn't
    notice the word "permanent"... Some amusing outtakes fromt he second
    location....

    --
    We are the keepers of the sacred words: Ni, Pang,
    and Ni-wom!

    In article <YPXKd.19696$mA5.1049097@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    binary <bin@binary.xyz> wrote:

    > Online sources such as
    > http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    > advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >
    > My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    > specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    > labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
    >
    > Any opinions or advice from experts?
    >
    > bin

    I've used Sharpies since I started burning cd's.. delved into some 5+
    year old b/up's recently and they still work.

    --
    Cyrus

    *coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
  5. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    I think I use the same one that you are talking about. It is like a felt
    pen, with a soft tip. I have been using these for years.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

    "binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
    Online sources such as
    http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.

    My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.

    Any opinions or advice from experts?

    bin
  6. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    "Todd H." <bmiawmb@toddh.net> wrote in message
    > binary <bin@binary.xyz> writes:
    >
    >> Online sources such as
    >> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    >> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >>
    >> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    >> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    >> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
    >> water-soluble.
    >>
    >> Any opinions or advice from experts?
    >
    > I (as a leming who's always used a Sharpie) have a related question
    > has anyone had a failure on such a disk? Granted my experience has
    > been with disks with writing areas on them so I'm not sure if my lack
    > of failure really says anything.

    I've never had a failure after many years using a Sharpie. It has the
    additional advantage of being soluble in alcohol. If you make a mistake,
    you can wipe it clean and start over. Incidentally, I've been able to clean
    off the markings, even after several years.

    Norm Strong
  7. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    binary wrote:
    > Online sources such as
    > http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    > advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.

    Been using a Mark-A-Lot Permanent Marker by Avery Dennison for over five
    years on CDR and haven't had a failure yet BUT WHO KNOWS?
  8. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    "binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
    > Online sources such as
    > http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    > advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >
    > My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    > specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    > labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
    > water-soluble.
    > Any opinions or advice from experts?

    I'm really enjoying the use of my Casio optical disc labeller.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    "binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
    > Online sources such as
    > http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    > advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >
    > My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    > specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    > labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
    >
    > Any opinions or advice from experts?

    I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths and
    maybe some other solvents.

    --

    Michael Chare
  10. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:00:38 -0000, Michael Chare <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
    >"binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
    >> Online sources such as
    >> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    >> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >>
    >> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    >> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    >> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
    >>
    >> Any opinions or advice from experts?

    >I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths and
    >maybe some other solvents.

    I see you like that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent
    too much.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    "TCS" <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:00:38 -0000, Michael Chare
    <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
    > >"binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
    > >> Online sources such as
    > >> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    > >> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    > >>
    > >> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
    > >> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
    > >> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
    > >>
    > >> Any opinions or advice from experts?
    >

    > >I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths and
    > >maybe some other solvents.
    >
    > I see you like that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent
    > too much.

    I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I wanted to
    touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the hardest to remove
    from the metal frame of the sales counter!

    --

    Michael Chare
  12. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:26:15 -0000, Michael Chare <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
    >I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I wanted to
    >touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the hardest to remove
    >from the metal frame of the sales counter!

    Oh. Like a sharpie.
    Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.
  13. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    TCS wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:26:15 -0000, Michael Chare
    > <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
    >> I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I
    >> wanted to
    >> touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the
    >> hardest to remove
    >> from the metal frame of the sales counter!
    >
    > Oh. Like a sharpie.
    > Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.

    Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't widespread
    over here, the Stabilo brand *is*
  14. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    "Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message

    > I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths
    > and
    > maybe some other solvents.

    I use the same. Cheap too.

    D.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    Me too.When it's empty I will get a special for cds.No more than 2
    euro,though.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    > "Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths
    > > and
    > > maybe some other solvents.
    >
    > I use the same. Cheap too.
    >
    > D.

  16. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    "Stimpy" <stimpy1997uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > TCS wrote:
    > > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:26:15 -0000, Michael Chare
    > > <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
    > >> I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I
    > >> wanted to
    > >> touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the
    > >> hardest to remove
    > >> from the metal frame of the sales counter!
    > >
    > > Oh. Like a sharpie.
    > > Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.
    >
    > Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't
    widespread
    > over here, the Stabilo brand *is*

    Suggest you take a trip to your local friendly Staples - you'll find
    more Sharpies than Stabilo in most branches.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com
  17. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:38:05 GMT, harrogate2 <harrogate2@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >"Stimpy" <stimpy1997uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> TCS wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Oh. Like a sharpie.
    >> > Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.
    >>
    >> Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't
    >widespread
    >> over here, the Stabilo brand *is*
    >>

    >Suggest you take a trip to your local friendly Staples - you'll find
    >more Sharpies than Stabilo in most branches.

    Read his email address. "over here" == "over here in the uk"
  18. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    Stimpy wrote:
    > TCS wrote:
    >> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:26:15 -0000, Michael Chare
    >> <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
    >>> I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I
    >>> wanted to
    >>> touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the
    >>> hardest to remove
    >>> from the metal frame of the sales counter!
    >>
    >> Oh. Like a sharpie.
    >> Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.
    >
    > Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't
    > widespread over here, the Stabilo brand *is*

    Staples sell it.
    --
    We are the keepers of the sacred words: Ni, Pang,
    and Ni-wom!
  19. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    What is the label side varnish made from anyway? I heard it is acrylic. But
    acrylic can mean a variety of chemicals with differing properties. Could it
    be PMMA type acrylic (Poly methyl methacrylate)? If so, I'd be careful with
    solvents.
    John

    "binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
    > Online sources such as
    > http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
    > advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
    >
    > My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers specifically
    > for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for labeling CD
    > discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
    >
    > Any opinions or advice from experts?
    >
    > bin

  20. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    "TCS" <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote in message
    ..
    > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:38:05 GMT, harrogate2
    <harrogate2@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    > >"Stimpy" <stimpy1997uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > >> Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't
    > >widespread
    > >> over here, the Stabilo brand *is*
    > >>

    > >Suggest you take a trip to your local friendly Staples - you'll
    find
    > >more Sharpies than Stabilo in most branches.
    >
    > Read his email address. "over here" == "over here in the uk"

    And what does my address say? Staples has been in the UK for some time
    now, or maybe you haven't noticed?

    AND this is a UK group, so it should be taken for
    granted................

    --
    Woody

    harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com
  21. Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

    harrogate2 wrote:

    > AND this is a UK group, so it should be taken for

    This could be rec.audio.misc or rec.audio.tech OR uk.rec.audio, only one of
    which is a UK group

Audio CD-Rom