CD markers -- what's safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

binary

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004
Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

Online sources such as
http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.

My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.

Any opinions or advice from experts?

bin

binary <bin@binary.xyz> writes:

> Online sources such as
> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>
> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
> water-soluble.
>
> Any opinions or advice from experts?

I (as a leming who's always used a Sharpie) have a related question
has anyone had a failure on such a disk? Granted my experience has
been with disks with writing areas on them so I'm not sure if my lack
of failure really says anything.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

On 29 Jan 2005 21:47:11 -0600, Todd H. <bmiawmb@toddh.net> wrote:
>binary <bin@binary.xyz> writes:

>> Online sources such as
>> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
>> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>>
>> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
>> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
>> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
>> water-soluble.
>>
>> Any opinions or advice from experts?

>I (as a leming who's always used a Sharpie) have a related question
>has anyone had a failure on such a disk? Granted my experience has
>been with disks with writing areas on them so I'm not sure if my lack
>of failure really says anything.

All felt tip markers are safe. Any extra cost is just going towards marketing
hype.

binary wrote:
> Online sources such as
> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>
> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
> water-soluble.
> Any opinions or advice from experts?

Second vote here for the Sharpie - works, dries quick, permanent.

Had fun with mine yesterday - doing a small vid shoot and camereman asked
for a pen to mark up the clapper.... handed him the sharpie and he didn't
notice the word "permanent"... Some amusing outtakes fromt he second
location....

--
We are the keepers of the sacred words: Ni, Pang,
and Ni-wom!

Cyrus

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

In article <YPXKd.19696$mA5.1049097@news20.bellglobal.com>,
binary <bin@binary.xyz> wrote:

> Online sources such as
> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>
> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
>
> Any opinions or advice from experts?
>
> bin

I've used Sharpies since I started burning cd's.. delved into some 5+
year old b/up's recently and they still work.

--
Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

I think I use the same one that you are talking about. It is like a felt
pen, with a soft tip. I have been using these for years.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Todd H." <bmiawmb@toddh.net> wrote in message
> binary <bin@binary.xyz> writes:
>
>> Online sources such as
>> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
>> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>>
>> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
>> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
>> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
>> water-soluble.
>>
>> Any opinions or advice from experts?
>
> I (as a leming who's always used a Sharpie) have a related question
> has anyone had a failure on such a disk? Granted my experience has
> been with disks with writing areas on them so I'm not sure if my lack
> of failure really says anything.

I've never had a failure after many years using a Sharpie. It has the
additional advantage of being soluble in alcohol. If you make a mistake,
you can wipe it clean and start over. Incidentally, I've been able to clean
off the markings, even after several years.

Norm Strong

binary wrote:
> Online sources such as
> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.

Been using a Mark-A-Lot Permanent Marker by Avery Dennison for over five
years on CDR and haven't had a failure yet BUT WHO KNOWS?

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

"binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
> Online sources such as
> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>
> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not
> water-soluble.
> Any opinions or advice from experts?

I'm really enjoying the use of my Casio optical disc labeller.

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

"binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
> Online sources such as
> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>
> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
>
> Any opinions or advice from experts?

I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths and
maybe some other solvents.

--

Michael Chare

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:00:38 -0000, Michael Chare <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
>"binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
>> Online sources such as
>> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
>> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>>
>> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
>> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
>> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
>>
>> Any opinions or advice from experts?

>I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths and
>maybe some other solvents.

I see you like that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent
too much.

"TCS" <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 21:00:38 -0000, Michael Chare
<MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
> >"binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
> >> Online sources such as
> >> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
> >> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
> >>
> >> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers
> >> specifically for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for
> >> labeling CD discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
> >>
> >> Any opinions or advice from experts?
>

> >I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths and
> >maybe some other solvents.
>
> I see you like that special feeling of pride that comes from having spent
> too much.

I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I wanted to
touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the hardest to remove
from the metal frame of the sales counter!

--

Michael Chare

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:26:15 -0000, Michael Chare <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
>I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I wanted to
>touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the hardest to remove
>from the metal frame of the sales counter!

Oh. Like a sharpie.
Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.

Stimpy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2001

TCS wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:26:15 -0000, Michael Chare
> <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
>> I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I
>> wanted to
>> touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the
>> hardest to remove
>> from the metal frame of the sales counter!
>
> Oh. Like a sharpie.
> Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.

Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't widespread
over here, the Stabilo brand *is*

"Michael Chare" <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote in message

> I use a 'Stabilo OHPen universal permanent'. Can be removed with meths
> and
> maybe some other solvents.

I use the same. Cheap too.

D.

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

Me too.When it's empty I will get a special for cds.No more than 2
euro,though.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

"Stimpy" <stimpy1997uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> TCS wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:26:15 -0000, Michael Chare
> > <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
> >> I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I
> >> wanted to
> >> touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the
> >> hardest to remove
> >> from the metal frame of the sales counter!
> >
> > Oh. Like a sharpie.
> > Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.
>
> Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't
widespread
> over here, the Stabilo brand *is*

Suggest you take a trip to your local friendly Staples - you'll find
more Sharpies than Stabilo in most branches.

--
Woody

harrogate2 at ntlworld dot com

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:38:05 GMT, harrogate2 <harrogate2@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>"Stimpy" <stimpy1997uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> TCS wrote:
>> >
>> > Oh. Like a sharpie.
>> > Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.
>>
>> Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't
>widespread
>> over here, the Stabilo brand *is*
>>

>Suggest you take a trip to your local friendly Staples - you'll find
>more Sharpies than Stabilo in most branches.

Read his email address. "over here" == "over here in the uk"

Stimpy wrote:
> TCS wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:26:15 -0000, Michael Chare
>> <MunderscoreNEWS@chareDOTorg.uk> wrote:
>>> I was looking for a pen that would write on a metal surface, as I
>>> wanted to
>>> touch up a printed circuit prior to etching. This one was the
>>> hardest to remove
>>> from the metal frame of the sales counter!
>>
>> Oh. Like a sharpie.
>> Hope you didn't pay more than two bucks.
>
> Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't
> widespread over here, the Stabilo brand *is*

Staples sell it.
--
We are the keepers of the sacred words: Ni, Pang,
and Ni-wom!

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

What is the label side varnish made from anyway? I heard it is acrylic. But
acrylic can mean a variety of chemicals with differing properties. Could it
be PMMA type acrylic (Poly methyl methacrylate)? If so, I'd be careful with
solvents.
John

"binary" <bin@binary.xyz> wrote in message
> Online sources such as
> http://www.mrichter.com/cdr/primer/labels.htm
> advise to use felt pens with water-soluble ink, for labeling CD-R.
>
> My neigborhood Staples store carries only one kind of markers specifically
> for CDs, Staedtler Lumocolor. The package says "safe for labeling CD
> discs" but I see it is waterproof, so likely not water-soluble.
>
> Any opinions or advice from experts?
>
> bin

Archived from groups: rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio (More info?)

"TCS" <The-Central-Scrutinizer@p.o.b.o.x.com> wrote in message
..
> On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 18:38:05 GMT, harrogate2
<harrogate2@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> >"Stimpy" <stimpy1997uk@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Note he's posting from a .uk address. The Sharpie brand isn't
> >widespread
> >> over here, the Stabilo brand *is*
> >>

> >Suggest you take a trip to your local friendly Staples - you'll
find
> >more Sharpies than Stabilo in most branches.
>
> Read his email address. "over here" == "over here in the uk"

And what does my address say? Staples has been in the UK for some time
now, or maybe you haven't noticed?

AND this is a UK group, so it should be taken for

--

harrogate2 wrote:

> AND this is a UK group, so it should be taken for

This could be rec.audio.misc or rec.audio.tech OR uk.rec.audio, only one of
which is a UK group