HDD Transfer Problem

G

I have a very big problem with my hdd's. Every action that requires data transfer happens very slow and slows down the computer alot. For example, when I copy a file from cd-rom to hdd, it slows down to computer like it's eating 100% of cpu. I check the task manager but nothing is eating that much, even explorer.exe is at 10% while copying. But it IS very slow. Another example: I've a usb2.0 external lite-on 16x cd writer. I'm using a usb2.0 pci card for it and the speed is 16x selected in Nero. But writing a cd takes 20-30 minutes, not 6 minutes as it should be.

I'm totally clueless and I need your help desperately. Please help me with this problem.

G

Sorry I forgot the post details.

Windows XP Pro with latest updates and latest 4in1 drivers

System:
AthonXP 1600+
Soltek SL75-DRV2 (KT266A)
256mb Crucial DDR RAM
30GB Maxtor ATA100 and 20GB Maxtor ATA100 (both on the same ATA100 cable but second one running ATA33 because of the hdd rack it's in)
40x LG cd-rom and 10 Afreey dvd-rom (both on the same cable)
External USB2.0 Lite-On 16x cd-writer
PCI USB2.0 card

Writer:
Connected to USB2.0 PCI card
Please note that "Recorder Buffer Level" is always between %5-1 while writing the cd in Nero. I think this is supposed to be always at ? or something.

Additional info from Device Manager:
IDE/ATAPI Controllers Section=>Primary IDE Channel Properties:
Device 0: Transfer Mode: DMA if available, Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 5
Device 1: Transfer Mode: DMA if available, Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode

IDE/ATAPI Controllers Section=>Secondary IDE Channel Properties:
Device 0: Transfer Mode: DMA if available, Current Transfer Mode: PIO Mode
Device 0: Transfer Mode: DMA if available, Current Transfer Mode: Ultra DMA Mode 2