Unable to connect to random sites?

chuglife

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
So I built a computer down at school in Utah, semester's over so I went back to Idaho for the summer. When I got here I seemed to stop being able to connect and load content from random sites. It gets a ping time out every time on the same random websites.

Some of the sites:

www.cis.utah.edu
www.imgur.com
www.speedtest.net

I can access these sites in Utah, so I called my ISP (frontier communications, previously verizon.) They flushed the DNS and checked that the modem wasn't to blame. I checked my host files and they're unaltered.

After two hours on the phone they were stumped and hung up. www.imgur.com loads fine, but it won't load the pictures which is odd.

I'm not sure if it matters but I do have a 6 year old modem (westell 327w) that I think uses LAN g whereas my mobo (asrock extreme3 gen3) uses Realtek 8111E if i'm looking at the correct specs.

one last thing to add would be that I am not able to access www.speedtest.net, but I am able to access www.speedtest.frontier.com.

Is there something all these websites have in common that cause them not to load?

Any help would be appreciated, i'm not super advanced with networking so full explanations would be appreciated.

Solution
Okay, that means it's not a DNS issue, but an IP routing issue. Either your router is blocking the sites, or your ISP is having issues somewhere along the line. I suspect your router to be the culprit.

chuglife

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2011
I changed my DNS to opendns and flushed my dns then cleared browsing data, still no luck.

edit: facebook.com stopped working after i changed to openDNS so I switched back to automatically obtaining and it now loads facebook.com again.

sk1939

Distinguished
Okay, that means it's not a DNS issue, but an IP routing issue. Either your router is blocking the sites, or your ISP is having issues somewhere along the line. I suspect your router to be the culprit.

Solution